Video card prices gone up?

toddw

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay first I wanted a new MB/CPU, then I realized there's really no reason for me to upgrade.
Then I wanted a new monitor, then I realized there's really no reason for me to upgrade.

So now I'm on to GPU..... I got my boost 7950 for like $240... 7950s are like $450 now, and the R900 series is the same or more.... what happened? I figured prices would go down and I'd pick up another 7950 for $250 or so now that I hear they fixed micro stutter in xfire.... so much for that logic.(BTW these cards are awesome, running 1125/1500 all day on stock HS)

Sorry and apologizes if this is old news. Has demand really gone up that much?

Yes, mainly due to the crypto-currency (specifically litecoin) craze. They will drop down again soon.

Yeah, it's old news in internet time (3+ weeks now). Lots of threads in here talking (i.e. bitching) about the same thing. Many of us are waiting on 290/X non-ref cards to come out but when they do, they'll be at inflated prices. Nothing to do but wait (or pay way too much).

It was my plan to have bought a new card by now, but I'll wait until prices come back down to Earth.

It's going to be awhile. However, you could also consider something from Nvidia as well.

It's going to be awhile. However, you could also consider something from Nvidia as well.

I don't think it's going to be a while, I saw a couple 7950s go on ebay for less than 300 yesterday. The prices are already falling, even though some people seem to be trying to keep them up there. Once they start dropping I don't think they will go up again either.

I don't think it's going to be a while, I saw a couple 7950s go on ebay for less than 300 yesterday. The prices are already falling, even though some people seem to be trying to keep them up there. Once they start dropping I don't think they will go up again either.

Well until I see radical price drops on newegg , I remain skeptical

Thanks all, well I would imagine my 7950 @ 1125/1500 is similar to 7970 gig edition @ stock, so I am not In a hurry and can deal with what I have, I really like the boost editions and wanted another, but not at these prices....

Outside the 7950 I have now, I haven't upgraded anything else in a long time... just seems weird.

Back