Video card or motherboard issue please help

I have a ASROCK, Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac, MB and a EVGA gtx 1070 founders addition, VC it’s been running prefectly for 14 months but today it wouldnt turn on so I removed the VC and plugged the HDMI in the MB and it runs fine again but i put the VC back in and it wont power on no fans just a little click. I remove the VC and its fine.

how do i fix this or tell if its the VC or MB?

CPU also has a Samsung 256 GB m.2 HD, HI-100, I7-6700 chip, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Thank you for any help you can give

Maybe the power cables went bad. Can you try with extra cables for your power supply? Do you have another computer you can test the video card in?

Only way to tell for certain:

Plug your existing video card into a different motherboard.
or
Plug a new video card into your existing motherboard.

Since the motherboard seems to be otherwise working, what I would do would be RMA the video card. I've seen a lot of VC's burn out their VRMs and do exactly what you are seeing.

If you ~need~ a GPU in the mean time (RMAs take a while), buy a new one from Amazon or something, then either return it (and eat restocking) or resell either of the two VCs. If it does end up being the motherboard PCI slot, then you will have narrowed it down with 2 working VCs in hand, and you do the same thing there, except mobo swaps are significantly more involved and complicated (Windows licensing).

Is your MB set to the "Use onboard Video" in the BIOS? Switch it off and see what happens if it is, or rest the BIOS.

Back