Video Card or Monitor?

Corbin

Limp Gawd
Right now I have about 350$. For my comp I want to upgrade the video card (and PSU (will be the corsair 650tx because my current PSU won't do)) but I also want to upgrade my monitor. The price I want to spend for the monitor will be around 250-350$. which ever I get first I will have to wait about 2 months to buy the other. Now I heard that ATI was releasing some new cards in April or so and I was hoping this would drop the price on the GTX 260 (what I'm looking at now). I don't have any particular siding with Nvidia or ATI, I just want to have a good warranty/ support that evga offers (and the xfx cards right now seem a bit high on the ati side). If I got a monitor I would be looking at a 26/28". Probably that HannsG they have on costco.com or if I can find a Samsung T260/ Asus VW266H or something along those lines. So Which do you think I should get first? Should i get the monitor now while the price is low and wait for the video card prices to drop in the next few months or should I jump on the video cards right now and hope I can still get a deal on a good moniter?

btw I have a 8600gt right now. all I play is WC3, COD4 (on low settings) and CoH. I don't mind having to drop the res down if I did get a new monitor for the time being.

Monitor now, video card later. I don't know that I believe video card prices are going to plummet like some have been claiming, but video card tech moves much faster than LCD tech and video cards depreciate a lot faster.

ok cool. thx for the fast reply. i guess i should go checking around the lcd forum about now...

i say you buy a good monitor now then sell your 22" & 8600GT. That should be more than enough to get you a 4870 of some variation. Maybe even enough to get a 1GB version of the card

I'll try to sell my 8600gt but I don't think I will sell the 22" because my mom is still stuck with a 17" CRT and I think I'll just give it to her. She helped pay for a bit of my pc anyways :D

just remember this, the larger the monitor(number of pixels you are pushing) the more powerful the gpu needs to be.

just remember this, the larger the monitor(number of pixels you are pushing) the more powerful the gpu needs to be.

yea I can remember that. And I don't really have a problem with turning any of the settings down on games if they don't run very well. I mean I'm lucky enough to have this good of a rig at 15 :p

sorry to bring back my old thread but I've been rethinking the monitor thing and I was thinking should i just get a GTX 260 (216) now and wait to get a higher quality monitor (one maybe from samsung like a T260)? If I was to buy a monitor it would be this one for my price range HannsG 28" from Costco or I could wait and jsut by the video cards and stuff now, then save up for whatever monitor I'd want. It'd be at least 1920 x 1080 and at least 25" (25.5)

What matters most to you: A larger monitor or increased gaming performance?

And are you willing to not bitch and moan when/if ATI releases cards (possibly) that'll outperform Nvidia's cards in the same price range in a few months? :)

What matters most to you: A larger monitor or increased gaming performance?

And are you willing to not bitch and moan when/if ATI releases cards (possibly) that'll outperform Nvidia's cards in the same price range in a few months? :)

To the first question it's a tie for me I could have either or. It's jsut I don't know how good of quality that HannsG is because there aren't many professional reviews and only user ones.

For the second question I'm fine going with either ATI/Nvidia it's just I have the 350$ now and I've had this 8600gt for a year now :(. I'm totally fine paying 200$ for a GTX 260 55nm and it lasting another year.

To the first question it's a tie for me I could have either or. It's jsut I don't know how good of quality that HannsG is because there aren't many professional reviews and only user ones.
What makes you think that you need that larger monitor? What exactly are you doing with this PC that justifies a larger monitor than the 22" monitor you have now? Is your 22" monitor limiting you in any way?

What makes you think that you need that larger monitor? What exactly are you doing with this PC that justifies a larger monitor than the 22" monitor you have now? Is your 22" monitor limiting you in any way?

That's a good way of thinking of it. I just liked the 1920x1200 res along with the HDMI port for my 360 to hook up to. 22" is kinda small for 4 people to play stuff on. But maybe that's just my opinion. I guess I don't do much 4 player anyways. It think I'm just going to get the GPU. \

So on the topic of GPU's. Is the GTX260 55nm a hot spot at around 200 now? or should I pay 80 or so more to get the 4850x2/ GTX 280?

That's a good way of thinking of it. I just liked the 1920x1200 res along with the HDMI port for my 360 to hook up to. 22" is kinda small for 4 people to play stuff on. But maybe that's just my opinion. I guess I don't do much 4 player anyways. It think I'm just going to get the GPU. \

So on the topic of GPU's. Is the GTX260 55nm a hot spot at around 200 now? or should I pay 80 or so more to get the 4850x2/ GTX 280?

Good idea.

For your current resolution, the GTX260 is more than enough. It is not worth it for you to get the GTX280/HD4850X2. Try to get a GTX260 for as close as possible to $200.

Good idea.

For your current resolution, the GTX260 is more than enough. It is not worth it for you to get the GTX280/HD4850X2. Try to get a GTX260 for as close as possible to $200.

Ok cool. I was looking at these two EVGA GTX260 but I want to know if the one that comes with mirrors edge is 55nm. If it's not I'm fine with getting the other one but for only 3 dolars more with a free game it would be nice.

Dell 2707 for $499 (refurb). I know it's out of your budget but it's a great price for this monitor.

details here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1401140

That corsair PSU (and others) are on huge sale at newegg yesterday and today - not sure how much longer those prices will last.

If you are close to a Fry's you can pick up an evga 260 for $150 AR (55nm/216)

wow thanks for that card from NCIX. Just one question I'm used to buying from newegg and in the case that I get a faulty card how is their customer support/ RMA service?

wow thanks for that card from NCIX. Just one question I'm used to buying from newegg and in the case that I get a faulty card how is their customer support/ RMA service?
Great customer support from NCIX, i did one RMA and im getting my hardware back tomorrow. They sent it express Air cause when I ordered the item in the first place that's how I got it sent, most other place would have sent the RMA back by ground which here add at LEAST 4 days.

Another time i bought memory and 2 days later the price dropped a LOT. I opened a ticket and they re-imbursed me the price difference.

They don't always have the best prices but they pricematch when they don't. I always order from there.

For EVGA cards what you want is to RMA trough EVGA anyway.

I was looking at that one but isn't it a 65nm?

Not according to the reviews. Plus, if you are on a budget, its better to go with the cheaper option. The performance difference will be pretty small between process technologies.

Not according to the reviews. Plus, if you are on a budget, its better to go with the cheaper option. The performance difference will be pretty small between process technologies.

Yea but that evga one has a free game as well as being 55nm for only 180 instead of 170. I'd like to get the best as possible with this range because i probably won't upgrade my gpu for another year/ 2 years so I want it to last.

Back