Video card not initializing but computer still boots up!!?

grss1982cvg

Limp Gawd
As the title says, when I boot up my computer everything is humming a long but the monitor is on standby mode. However throughout this whole process I actually hear the Windows 7 intro sound, which tells me the computer is ready.

Now when I disconnect the monitor's DB-9 cable from the GTS-250 video card and plug it in instead to the built in VGA, I'll see the Windows desktop. And then I decide to completely turn off the computer and while turned off connect the DB-9 cable back to the GTS-250 and surprise...surprise.....everyhting is working again. It's like the only way around this is to turn off the computer and turn it on agian. :p

So any idea on what's causing this?

1) Video card dieing?
2) Video card not getting enough power?
3) Mobo-related issue?
4) PSU not handing out enough juice?

TIA for any ideas. :D

P.S. Specs was overhualed a month or so ago:

MY RIG:Intel C2D E8500|G31M-S2C|512MB Inno3d Nvidia GTS-250 with one 6-pin power connector|4GB DDR2-800|Seagate 500GB SATA|W.D. 250GB SATA|LG DVD-RW IDE|17" CTX LCD (1280x1024)|Silver Stone ST-400|Antec 300|Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Do you have another monitor to try? I've seen badly behaved screens which simply won't detect on DVI or analog. The GTS-250 is probably working but in DVI mode.

Same here, try a different monitor with the system. I've had similar experiences where the VGA would work but DVI was a bit flaky depending on the graphics card used.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I might have solved it by changing settings in the Bios. :)

Ok something strange happened to me over the weekend that's similar...
I just got a new Gigabyte GTX570 OC and I've been running it with out problems.
Then I turn on the pc the other day and get the "beeeeep beep beep" bios warning which is for video cards...wth
huh...I try putting it on another slot, no worky, another set of PCI-E power cables and it works. I proceed to stress that card with some benchmarking and all is well.
Turn off the pc and turn it on again and I get the same beeps. Putting in another video card gives me no problems.

But now it's working...with several shutdowns and reboots in between.
What I did last was be absolutly positive it was seated as well as it could be and in the bios I changed the first graphic boot option from PCI-E x16 1 to PCI.
So not sure if that's what resolved it @_@
fyi I also have a Gigabyte EX58-ud4p mobo.

Back