Video Card might be dead... what are you thoughts.

Long time computer builder here, and fortunately I have 2 computers here.

My main computer is (4.5 years old):
Win 7
Asus p6x58de premium
i7 920
12 gb corsair dominator
Asus 5970

I was using my computer just fine yesterday, shut it down just fine; then today I power on my system and I notice that my monitor isn't receiving a signal, though the GPU fan is spinning. So I shut down the computer and power it back on - same deal. I check all the connections to the card, reseat it, unplug, plug back in - you name it - and still same deal; I turn on the computer, it boots, but no display. Note that I am not using any adapters - I am using a dvi cable connecting my monitor directly to the dvi-i slot in the back of the GPU. Also, I have tried the 'other' dvi output on the card - to no avail.

So I went to trouble shooting and I took out my video card from my other computer (Asus 6870), plugged it all in, and sure enough the monitor gets a display signal. Didn't change anything. Literally just swapped the 2 cards and the 6870 worked fine.

Looks to me like my 5970 died. Which is confusing because it didn't show any symptoms; no artifacting, no fan problems, everything seemed okay. What do you guys think? Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Pop the 5970 in your second rig and if you still don't get a signal, then you can be pretty sure the card died on you.

Yea just did what you suggested MrC4; and same result.

I guess this is goodbye 5970. You were usually a huge pain in the ass; but I'll miss you for what it's worth.

Looks to me like my 5970 died. Which is confusing because it didn't show any symptoms; no artifacting, no fan problems, everything seemed okay. What do you guys think? Am I missing something here?

Thanks

She's dead Jim.

Back