Video card & memory upgrade for video editing.

videobruce

Limp Gawd
Present system;
Gigabyte 970A-D3P
AMD FX-8350
Nvida Ge-Force GTX-1060 3GB
G-Skill DDR3-1867 4GB x2 memory sticks
Win 7 Pro x64
Video files up to 1080p. NO 2160p (4k) editing. This is for faster video editing, not gaming, thou I realize many factors are similar. This isn't editing for pay, or any really critical editing.

Questions;
For memory I read 16 GB is a minimum amount for memory. If I just double from 8 to 16, is that worth the trouble or should I go 32GB? If so, should I add 2 more sticks or sell the existing sticks and replace with two 16GB strips?

For the video card, just how much memory will make a noticeable difference?

Last edited:
For that computer, going to a GTX 1060 6gb and 16gb ram is it. 3050 if you want an RTX slideshow

How about a card with 6 or 12GB of memory, would that help or is the system memory where the video file(s) are temporary stored?

"RTX slideshow"??

Last edited:
The VRAM is used as a frame buffer. The 1060 3gb is actually not as powerful as a 6gb variant. It has less Cuda cores. It’s more than just the vram in that case.

The fastest card that CPU can possibly support is a GTX 1060 level of performance. The 3050 is a little faster with some RTX capabilities. But mostly a slideshow if you turned it on

Ok, how about system memory, how much of a increase to see a difference in speed processing video files? 16, 32 or more?

Ok, how about system memory, how much of an increase to see a difference in speed processing video files? 16, 32 or more?
16 is probably a good number for a system that old. Upgrade the rest of the system before you waste money on DDR3

Back