Video card in Asus G60JX laptop died; need help upgrading

Wedge

Limp Gawd
I have the Asus G60JX laptop and the GTS 360M video card died. Does anybody know if I can upgrade to the GTX 560M video card for this laptop?

The ROG laptops use their own unique MXM cards. I once asked about the possibility of adding these to the Asus eStore, but basically the idea was kicked around and rejected a long time ago as just creating far too many problems. You might buy such a card, put it in, and fully understand it's an at your own risk kind of proposition. The next person however, might try something a bit less than ethical.

Even assuming you could get your hands on a 560 from a later model ROG laptop, not so sure I'd want to risk putting it in. Laptops tend to be balanced on a bit of knife edge. The power and cooling is calibrated very specifically for the hardware configs of that model. A 560M might well draw more power or produce more heat, than the G60 is able to handle, and then you compound your problems.

If you're going to scour ebay and craigslist for anything, I'd look for another G60 360M card.

Just an fyi too you usually look at same or next gen laptops to see compatible gpus. So look at the g50s 60s and 70s with that being said you are pretty much looking at the top gpu you can put on that model. The 9800m, 260m are the most popular for that gen.

Back