video card going bad? or something else...

Copenhagen69

2[H]4U
when i surf the net and do normal stuff my computer seems to be fine ...
when i play any game ... so far i have tested cod4 and command and conquer 3 ...my comp will freeze about a min or 2 into the game ...

would this be due to video card going out? ooooor something else i should look into?

specs ...

e8400 39 idle 44 load
8800GT 47-idle 50ish load
pc power and cooling 750 quad
asus maximus 2 formula
ambient temp 31
6 120mm fans

Have you monitored the temperatures on your card?

Also it would help to have more details, like your case, CPU, video card, number of fans, motherboard, and your ambient temperatures. :)

Just flying by the seat of my pants, i would say the video card is getting too hot. I guess it could be a driver issue also. Have you installed the latest driver from NVIDIA?

My 8800GT does that sometimes also but it's because I forgot to kick the fan up to 80%. By default they only run at 20% or 25%...I actually cannot remember the exact number...but it's quite slow.

Do you get any error messages? Like driver nvkdm whatever has stopped responding?

fan speed modified? cause there is no way that card runs @ 50c under load @ stock fan speed ... more like 78c+

fan speed modified? cause there is no way that card runs @ 50c under load @ stock fan speed ... more like 78c+

Yeah it would sound like to me that your video card would be overheating. Possibly a problem with your DirectX drivers. Though if that be the case it wouldn't work in the first place. Though it might. So let's see, what operating system do you run?

well with a stock heatsink on it it idled at 46C load at 55C
added accelero heat sink to it idles at like 41C and load at 49C

im leaning toward a driver issue .... im running vista 32bit ... and some people on xtreme are having the same problem .... guess ill have to wait for nvidia to update their drivers?
anyone know when we can get new ones? or expect to?

Back