Video Card for older system

hipsterdoofus

Limp Gawd
I had inquired about some issues I was working on with my parent's HTPC HERE

Well I got around to buying them a new LED tv, but now that I am replacing their dinosaur TV, they will need a video card with HDMI, obviously. Since their system is an older one, I hate to drop tons of money on it, but want something that will handle HD fine. Am looking for recommendations on what to buy for them. In my original thread someone mentioned a 6450, but I didn't know what all else there was for a solid card for HD.

well you don't need much for hd really, I have a 650 and it's great I can even game on it.
However that would be overkill, I'd say grab the best deal you can for 620/630/640 or 7650/7670.
the rest of he money you could spend to get a decent model with aftermarket cooler.
if you don't mind the noise: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-1024MB-Graphics-01G-P3-2625-KR/dp/B008ODZPHI/
quieter and better: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-2048MB-Graphics-02G-P3-2639-KR/dp/B008Y8PON8/
you might need a micro hdmi with that second one tho,AmazonBasics is pretty good :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Video cards are pretty easy these days - most of the cheap ones are more than enough for HTPC duties. I'm sporting an old GeForce 210 in mine and it's more than fast enough for Blu-ray playback and Netflix in HD plays without any hiccups whatsoever. At the time I paid $50 for it from Best Buy. I think that was about 5-6 years ago. Has HDMI and can output audio and video through it just fine. I'm always upgrading everything else - processor, board, RAM, operating system - but I always put the 210 back in it when I'm done because I like it just fine.

They come with low profile brackets if you need it too. The 210's are listed in NewEgg between $29-$36.

Yeah looks like what I have in my HTPC is a Radeon HD 4670 and it has never skipped a beat showing HD. My main issue is I don't know the current model numbers on video cards and so I have a hard time knowing a good basic card that isn't overkill but will still handle the HD just fine (and has a fan for sure).

I had a 210 before my 650, and it's perfect for HD (720p) but anything above that and you would need something better.
There are 210s for ~$25 but I suggest you invest a bit more so you could do FHD (1080p)

I had a 210 before my 650, and it's perfect for HD (720p) but anything above that and you would need something better.
There are 210s for ~$25 but I suggest you invest a bit more so you could do FHD (1080p)

Okay so do you have a suggestion?

What? My 210 can do 1080p just fine.

This card is going in a 2007 built computer (with a couple of upgrades). It will hook up to a 32" 720p tv, which is not likely to be upgraded anytime soon since I just bought the tv, so I don't need something super nice - just something that will handle media center hd programming as well as netflix just fine. Also would like for it to have a fan on it to make sure there are no heat issues.

you linked this thread. Can you repost the link since I'm curious about these shortcomings? I'm curious because I have never come across anything that did not work on my media center.

you linked this thread. Can you repost the link since I'm curious about these shortcomings? I'm curious because I have never come across anything that did not work on my media center.

I apologize, I fixed the link above now. I'm not saying the 210 is unacceptable, as I mentioned, I just know that 4670 has been a rockstar for me, so it would be cool to get something that is fairly close if possible. I don't know if the items that are better on the 4670 make a huge difference or not.

How about a Geforce 610 ?
$39.99 and it's somewhat new so it should play all your media no sweat.

I recommend this or any newer Nvidia card.

Two big reasons. Media Center supports PureVideo by default and any decoder you pick will leverage CUDA.

I have that GT610 in a PCIE 1X flavor and it plays 1080P w/audio over HDMI without issue.

Back