Video Card for Early 2007 Computer

So, as listed in my signature, is my trusty Velocity Micro computer. It's been through a lot, and I haven't asked for much more from it. I might toss some extra ram in there, as 2GB might be a bit anemic, but eh.

However, what I've been noticing lately is that my X1950 Pro (One of the ATI ones) has developed a massive overheating issue. If I don't aim a fan at my case and open the side, the card will overheat at the lowest settings for 1280x1024 in a game like Project Reality or Company of Heroes, and then crash my computer. So I'm now looking for a replacement video card, but one that won't be bottlenecked by my overclocked E6400 (Yes, it's old. Nearly 4 years old.) I have access to a OCZ 700W power supply if need be.

I''m an NVIDIA guy but I'm open to suggestions. I am moving to a 1080P display, so I would like to play most recent games at full settings. To be honest, I'd settle for Project Reality at max at that resolution.

You're an Nvidia guy with an x1950 Pro :p

That's still a decent system, is that the highest you were able to get your C2D??

How much are you looking to pay max??

To be honest, I haven't tried OCing my CPU past 2.66... wasn't sure how much my RAM could handle. It's DDR2-667.

I would have gone for the 7900 GS, but the ATi was cheaper for better performance. I'm looking to spend a max of 200 dollars.

GTS 450's are becoming very cheap with rebates even if it's a bit much it's probably the best bang for the buck. I would imagine anything more would be bottlenecked by the CPU though.

Edit - Just seen the $200 limit you could pick up a 460, but I'm certain it will be bottlenecked by the CPU.

To be honest, I haven't tried OCing my CPU past 2.66... wasn't sure how much my RAM could handle. It's DDR2-667.

I would have gone for the 7900 GS, but the ATi was cheaper for better performance. I'm looking to spend a max of 200 dollars.
Ah gotcha, you're like me except I find myself defending ATI more than Nvidia though, I'll get in bed with whoever can give me the best deal.

Anyway here's your choices:
GTX 260 Core 216 $100
5850 for $175 after MIR
460 1GB for $160 after MIR

Last edited:
I'm Canadian... but the ASUS 460 card posted earlier is 162 on Newegg's Canadian site. I might grab that then, especially if it drops to 142 CAD due to a 20 dollar rebate. Do I need to upgrade my 500W PSU or is it capable of handling the card?

I'm Canadian... but the ASUS 460 card posted earlier is 162 on Newegg's Canadian site. I might grab that then, especially if it drops to 142 CAD due to a 20 dollar rebate. Do I need to upgrade my 500W PSU or is it capable of handling the card?
plenty capable though it disqualifies the 4870x2 lol
I think the GTX 260 would fit right in with the rest of the hardware.

For $20 more USD you can get this 280
I'm pretty sure they'd ship to Canada no fuss

You might need to upgrade the existing 500W PSU: More than likely it's a generic unit that isn't capable of outputting more than 200W to 300W under realistic operating conditions.

Also, I would not use the 700W OCZ PSU: It, too, is not capable of outputting more than 500W to 550W under realistic operating conditions. One of them flunked [H] testing at 700W at a realistic operating temperature of 45°C (it barely passed muster at 550W), while the other OCZ 700W PSU is based on a platform known for its component-killing out-of-spec ripple above 500W.

Honestly if you're trying to max out graphics @ 1080p you need a full system upgrade. That cpu and memory is going to kill your attempts to bring your rig up to 2010 standard, even for budget gaming. If you can OC the cpu more that would work but you need 4gb of memory, minimum. It seems like you are on a tight budget, so I suggest a used GTX 260 for cheap on the forum (there are a few under 100 dollars, including one I'm selling, search for my 'for sale' thread) or failing that, a GTX 460 768mb for 120-150.

Spend the money you save on 2 or 4gb of memory and a power supply to replace the OCZ 700 when it fails 3 weeks after you install it.

Idk why OCZ PSU's get the shaft, my dad's 500W has been serving him great for a little over year...and it was used...
This 460 1GB for $170CAD isn't too bad

They "get the shaft" because many of them cannot provide anywhere close to their full claimed output under realistic operating temperatures. In other words, many of them are overmarketed and overpriced for the performance.

And your dad's OCZ PSU lasted as long as it did simply because his entire system's components don't draw anywhere near the maximum that they are capable of producing. Your dad's rig likely draws less than 140W even at full load.

This PSU's a OCZ GXS700... I thought they were made by the same company that made Corsair's? It's been in a gaming rig of my friend's for two years, he just recently upgraded to a 1KW PSU. Ah, that throws a wrench into my plans.

This PSU's a OCZ GXS700... I thought they were made by the same company that made Corsair's? It's been in a gaming rig of my friend's for two years, he just recently upgraded to a 1KW PSU. Ah, that throws a wrench into my plans.

The GXS has never been made by Seasonic or CWT, IIRC. In fact, it is based on FSP's notorious original Epsilon platform that produces out-of-spec ripple when pushed beyond about 500W. That out-of-spec ripple can lead to early death to your components even if the PSU itself doesn't die out. And OCZ is not entirely to blame, in this case: Several other companies also sold FSP Epsilon-based PSUs that suffer from the same issue.

Last edited:
The GXS700 isn't as bad as most of the PSUs that OCZ has released. Provided you don't push it you should be fine, it's lasted 2 years and already that's impressive for anything with OCZ on it.

The GXS700 can power your system with any of the single video cards I've seen discussed in this thread.

Edit: I did not know about the out of spec ripple issue, if it's true, definitely avoid using it.

Based on his system, wouldn't the whole thing at most draw like 350w with a GTX 460 or a GTX 260? If so wouldn't the OP still be alright with his underperforming 700w PSU?

And requiem99 hit the nail on the head it's not worth getting a 2010 GPU for a 2007 PC. If everyone agrees that your PSU can handle a GTX 260 or a 4870, there's no harm saving the money, and either or those two GPUs and you'll be one happy camper.

strangest thing here... a 260 is about 100 dollars more than a 460, at least brand new in Toronto.

strangest thing here... a 260 is about 100 dollars more than a 460, at least brand new in Toronto.
Then don't buy brand new, haven't ya contacted any of the FS users I've been throwin ya??

They "get the shaft" because many of them cannot provide anywhere close to their full claimed output under realistic operating temperatures. In other words, many of them are overmarketed and overpriced for the performance.

And your dad's OCZ PSU lasted as long as it did simply because his entire system's components don't draw anywhere near the maximum that they are capable of producing. Your dad's rig likely draws less than 140W even at full load.
Damn, yeah good thing he just has his X4 940 and an 8800GT running. I'll be careful from now on, didn't realize that they were virtually generics with a brand name slapped on.

Makes me nervous about my PC Power and Cooling (since OCZ owns them now and I just got it back from RMA a couple of weeks ago), mine you it lasted 2 and half years before it died but still....they touched this one....

I know, it was just a weird observation.
Yeah I've yelled at some e-tailers for ridiculousness such as that, they have old hardware at it's debut pricing on there and they wonder why it doesn't sell. I guess they don't want their shelves to go empty to fit newer hardware :confused:

There's nothing weird about that, retailers count on stupid people who don't know what anything costs to buy leftover stock from previous tech generations. It happens with everything.

Edit: Newegg sure isn't stupid: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127464&cm_re=GTX_260-_-14-127-464-_-Product

Someone wrote a review 3 days ago, so obviously someone is still buying them at retail. Idiots.

So an update on what I eventually did.

Got an amazing steal on a XFX Radeon HD 6850 Pro which I might pull over to a new system, and an Kingston V+100 SSD. Popped in 4 gigs of RAM, and pushed my overclock to 3 Ghz.

For video editing, design work, and moderate gaming, it should last me a couple more years.

Back