Video card doesn't look like EVGA, but multiple sources claim it is

duronboy

Gawd
I keep seeing these GTX 1060s that are branded EVGA in their listing titles, but nowhere on the card does it say EVGA, and of course they bear no resemblance to typical contemporary EVGA aesthetics. I, a penny gamer, would like to know if there are any drawbacks to getting cards like this as opposed to what readily appear to be legitimate EVGA parts.

They have the following part number:

288-2N438-001A8​

lrgscaleDSCN2967.jpg

lrgscaleDSCN2968.jpg

lrgscaleDSCN2969.jpg

I wonder who makes the HP OEM 1060. That boy ain't look right. I mean, the HSF looks marginal for a 65W part.

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like a Zotac GTX 760 shroud with a different sticker. Might be a scam card TBH.

Pics here.

Edit: Found the exact card, it's a Zotac GTX 1060 mini. At least the PCB seems to be with the exact same outputs just with a Zotac 760 Shroud with a different sticker.

Zotac pics here.

Last edited:
Yeah the PCB on that zotac looks right. It's the only one I've noticed with those white rectangles.

On techpowerup, their image for the 670 and the 960 reference shroud appear similar. I did see an MSI-branded card with that style shroud, too.

So probably a zotac OEM or something.

I've read that current gen zotac is fine, but past gens were to be avoided. I guess I should look at reviews or just bite the bullet because whatever I get will be bottlenecked by my 2600K lol!

I keep seeing these GTX 1060s that are branded EVGA in their listing titles, but nowhere on the card does it say EVGA, and of course they bear no resemblance to typical contemporary EVGA aesthetics. I, a penny gamer, would like to know if there are any drawbacks to getting cards like this as opposed to what readily appear to be legitimate EVGA parts.

They have the following part number:

288-2N438-001A8​

View attachment 488259

View attachment 488260

View attachment 488261
That's definitely an OEM card, likely from a Dell.

I believe that's a different shroud. Similar, but different. ZeroBarrier's Zotac PCB identification holds up, too. If I'd bothered to install photochop on this rig, yet, I'd do an animated gif comparing the zotac and the "evga"

Either way, the cards priced sensibly of the OP design have sold.

I would imagine that it's some kind of reference PCB. Any number of OEMs might use the reference PCB.

Probably right. I did keep seeing Zotac boards with similar silkscreen patterns, but none others.

The opportunity to buy a 1060 that looks like this is gone, but it would still be interesting to see in what ways the original manufacturer could be identified if no brand markings exist.

Tigerdirect, Pricewatch, Directron. Although Directron is still in business. Great place to shop if you need an Opteron for $800.

It's a Lenovo OEM card

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Nvi.../324781069027?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c7
Just google the FRU 01AJ857, Comes in a few color schemes. Who makes it, don't know.
Probably doesn't matter all that much, it's just a 1060.
Likely no warranty tho, they only come with 12 months warranty when new so if it works, probably doesn't matter either.
Cards on Ebay are as low as ~$172 (but also probably have shipping + tax) so if you can get it for less, might be a good deal.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My son's 1070 that came in his ACER prebuilt looks identical except it says 1070.

You can always compensate for poor natural heat dissipation by increasing the RPM. Sad, but true.

Cards on Ebay are as low as ~$172 (but also probably have shipping + tax) so if you can get it for less, might be a good deal.
Yeah at that price it's a bit of a rip. I saw some under a hundie, so I was thinking about it, then. Now, they can keep 'em.

Back