Video Card and Sound Card share same IRQ

threedd97

Limp Gawd
Could this lower the ceiling of the overclock I can get with my video card? Could it also be a cause of stuttering/looping crashes in HL2 Source game?

threedd97 said:
Could this lower the ceiling of the overclock I can get with my video card? Could it also be a cause of stuttering/looping crashes in HL2 Source game?

I think that it is not a problem to share IRQ's with modern systems... My secondary GPU has always had the same IRQ as my X-Fi.

threedd97 said:
Mine is the same way. (video and sound sharing irq "18") - I also have a crashing problem with DOD:Source (HL2 based game). Several other games I've loaded and played have zero issues. I can loop 3dMark2003 for EVAR and never have a crash.

I even removed my sound card and used the motherboard audio for a while. It seemed "better" - but DOD:Source eventually crashed.

Often times that is caused by bad ram - so test your ram with memtest overnight to make sure it doesn't give any errors. Other than that - good luck. I have to make sure my USB gamepad is not plugged in, AND i have to set the affinity for steam.exe to core 1 (I have an Opteron 170) - and normally I can play trouble free for a good while. But it will crash now and then. Do you use Teamspeak while playing Source by chance?

Welcome to the wide world of ACPI folks in combo with both the PCI and PCI-E standards (they both support sharing), you can share as many IRQ's as you want. Heck I've got six devices that all use the same IRQ.

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) standards are available here for those that are really into the "details":

http://www.acpi.info/

With with a system that utilizes this along with a "Plug-n-Play" OS, such as Windows 2000 or XP, the IRQ concerns of previous environments are a thing of the past.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068/EN-US/ Microsoft support article on Windows XP IRQ sharing.

So on today's computers, messing with the IRQ settings will cause more trouble than it could solve. Ignore it and don't worry ;)

HighTest said:
Welcome to the wide world of ACPI folks in combo with both the PCI and PCI-E standards (they both support sharing), you can share as many IRQ's as you want. Heck I've got six devices that all use the same IRQ.

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) standards are available here for those that are really into the "details":

http://www.acpi.info/

With with a system that utilizes this along with a "Plug-n-Play" OS, such as Windows 2000 or XP, the IRQ concerns of previous environments are a thing of the past.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068/EN-US/ Microsoft support article on Windows XP IRQ sharing.

So on today's computers, messing with the IRQ settings will cause more trouble than it could solve. Ignore it and don't worry ;)
Don't forget to mention that 18 is not even a real physical IRQ :) I can remember maxing out the available irq's in the past

seanmcd said:
Mine is the same way. (video and sound sharing irq "18") - I also have a crashing problem with DOD:Source (HL2 based game). Several other games I've loaded and played have zero issues. I can loop 3dMark2003 for EVAR and never have a crash.

I even removed my sound card and used the motherboard audio for a while. It seemed "better" - but DOD:Source eventually crashed.

Often times that is caused by bad ram - so test your ram with memtest overnight to make sure it doesn't give any errors. Other than that - good luck. I have to make sure my USB gamepad is not plugged in, AND i have to set the affinity for steam.exe to core 1 (I have an Opteron 170) - and normally I can play trouble free for a good while. But it will crash now and then. Do you use Teamspeak while playing Source by chance?

I have had the looping crash since Windows ME (I know, it's crappy anyways) and my Athlon Thoroughbred and Geforce 2 card years and years ago running the original HL/CS. The problem carried over on XP with hardware ranging from Abit motherboards and DFI motherboards, integrated sound (realtek), SB cards, and a wide array of video cards. It is definately not hardware related, and it is not a driver issue with the hardware nor is it an OS issue, because every other game works fine (Quake 2, Quake 3, Quake 4, Doom 3, Battlefield 1 & 2, WoW, Asheron's Call and many others). It is just the games from Valve that do this to me. They are no help what so ever on the Steam forums. The threads get deleted or burried into the archives and all of their solutions try and point towards a user end problem and that we should change all of these settings and crap to make it work. Why should I have to do that for a game I paid for? It should run no matter what video settings or hardware settings I'm using.

The IRQ thing was something I saw come up in the Steam forums for this and was just wondering as it seems to be a relation of the two or their drivers and confliction with Valve software. I then thoght to myself that maybe it was the cause of an OC that pales in comparison to some outrageous OC's I've seen on 3DMark05 and in these forums, but I realize now that's just the limit of my card.

Back