video card advice

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I currently have a GTX 580 which I've been satisfied with for the most part but I'm looking to the future (Watch Dogs, Witcher 3) and I know it won't cut it...I like gaming with at least 4X AA and most advanced graphics options enabled...I've been looking into upgrading to a GTX 780 but have a few questions

I game at 1920 x 1200 and have no intention of getting a new monitor anytime soon...is the 780 overkill?...I wanted to get the MSI GTX 780 Lightning but it doesn't seem to be available anymore...after doing some research the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 GHz Edition seems like a great option along with the EVGA 780 Superclocked version...does the EVGA come with the new B1 revision?...I know the Gigabyte one does...how can I tell if a manufacturer has the new B1 revision?

finally I have a feeling Watch Dogs will be added to a new Nvidia gaming bundle soon and am wondering if it's best to wait a few weeks before buying or is now the best bet?

Wait a couple weeks for the 6gb versions to start rolling out. It may lower the prices of current 780s, or you may want to jump up to the 6gb

There is no definitive way to tell if a card is B1 stepping, however the Asus card I ordered in February from newegg was B1. Probably most cards now are of that stepping. As far as 3GB vs 6GB, will not make a difference at 1920x1200, maybe at 4k resolutions and running in SLI.

Last edited:
I went from to 590's SLI to a single MSI 780ti and my gaming experience is much smoother at 1440p, but
I wouldn't call the card overkill. You should be very happy with a 780 at your resolution and feel like your card is working at it's full potential.

I purchased my EVGA GTX 780 SC with reference cooler (03G-P4-2783-KR) back in December and it was revision B1. It will often hit a boost clock of around 1100 MHz at stock settings.

All indications are that the new 6GB versions will not be affecting prices of the other models that much. I have recently seen an ASUS DCUII sell for $489.99 BNIB.

Back