Video capture software for CS

Big_H

Limp Gawd
What's good (or any) program that I can use to capture video from a CS match?

At our last lan we had some really funny CS moments and I thought it'd be cool to be able to save them, but i don't know how.

Thanks!

basically 2 main ways you can go:

1. record a demo then convert it to .avi file with one of many programs
2. download/install fraps (may cost you to do it *legally*) to go straight from demo to .avi

to start off:

1. when you enter your game, hit the ` to bring up console then type "record demoname.dem" where you replace "demoname" with whatever you want to name the file (*note* you don't need those quotes, i just added them to show what exactly goes into the console). you will *probably* see some performance loss while recording your demo and playing unless you have a good computer.
2. you can stop the demo by typing "stopdemo" in console or just quitting the game. the demo file is saved in your cstrike folder (for 1.6 its c\programfiles\steam\steamapps\emailaddy\counter-strike\cstrike for 1.5 its in your main cstrike folder wherever that is i forget).

extracting the demo is where the paths begin to seperate.

to view your demo:

1. open cs (duh). go to console and type "playdemo demoname.dem" or "viewdemo demoname.dem" -- the difference between the 2 is that viewdemo gives you the option to fastforward, rewind, etc (though you HAVE to wait until the demo has been fully read to try and move or it will f up your game).
2. FOR FRAPS: obviously you would have the program running while the demo is playing and go through it's process of creating the avi (im not too sure on the details as i dont feel like shelling out the cash to use the prog).
2. FOR LONG WAY: as the demo is playing, get to where you want to start getting your clip then type "startmovie moviename 30" in console where moviename is what you call your movie and 30 is the FPS (there is NO need to put it above 30 as it will just fill your harddrive with unneccessary files).
3. when you want to stop do "endmovie" in console. then go to your main cstrike folder and you with see an assload of .bmp images. from here you can use one of many programs like videomach, adobe premier, or vegas video. open one of the programs, tell it to load the bmp files. remove the ones you dont want. save. and viola! you have yourself a little cs clip.

now if you just wanted to have a demo so you can watch later i just wasted a lot of fuckin time but maybe that will help someone. and if none of that made any sense to you feel free to look on one of the *many* cs movie-making sites found by searching google.

That helped me, now I can start making movies about my amazing ineptitude. :)

Thanks a lot, that's just what I needed. I was intending to make an avi out of it, so you didn't waste your time ;)
What search string or key words should I use? I searched google with things like "cs movie" and "cs video capture" and such, but didn't find anything (at least from what I saw). Although that might have been because I was looking for the wrong thing. I thought there was an all-in-one program that all these CS movie people used, so I was looking for a download not a walkthrough. So maybe that was why I could find anything...
Anyway, thanks a bunch!

weird, the search string i originally used to learn how to make guides no longer brings up the pages. i will mess around with different searches and see what all i can come up with.

*edit* i forgot to mention earlier, when you are doing the startmovie portion of the process to convert your demo into .bmp images, you should change your cs resolution to 800x600 or 640x480 (what i use) so that it takes up less space.

** here is a decent guide that expands a bit on what i posted above.

Back