Video Capture Card For 1600p (2560x1600) Monitor

jpongin

Limp Gawd
Is there a video capture card that will allow me to game at 1600p while recording it at 1080p? I want to run it as multiple monitor setup in clone configuration. The card basically needs to ingest a 1600p feed, then scale it to 1080p, then encode to video file in real time.

I looked everywhere and can't find any consumer solution. There is a professional solution, but the setup is near $8,000.

I looked at the Avermedia Live Gamer HD - does anyone know if you can send it a 1600p video signal, and the card will scale down / encode on the fly?

Not a chance of anything consumer level doing that. Even 1080p HDMI capture devices are rare.

I haven't tried it myself but I believe you use Open Broadcaster Software and capture the video to your hard drive. You can now render video using OpenCL on your video card. I'm a bit on the sleepy side so if I'm not 100% correct I'm sure someone can correct me. :)

Open Broadcaster Software home page.

Rendering on your video card. Has Quicksync support also but the Intel GPU is really weak unfortunately. But do try it!

Dxtory. Alternative to FRAPS.

Like I said I'm dead tired. Hope this helps you!

If I remember correctly the Avermedia Live Gamer HD will not do what you're asking for.

When I tried it on my U2410 (1920x1200) it had gigantic issues. All reviews and XSplit/FFSplit forums say that it cannot do anything with a resolution higher than 1920x1080.

OBS can do what you're looking for so long as your machine is capable.

Some games will require DXtory if Window Capture or Game Capture do not work in OBS. I use them together sometimes.

OBS can downscale while recording. Haven't tried it yet. My new 2560x1440 monitor comes in today, so I will be shortly.

I just use my computer to capture, but when I do get around to building a secondary computer for streaming/capturing I plan on just getting an Elgato. It does 1080p and can easily be used with other computers without having to worry about needing a PCI-E slot.

OBS can downscale while recording. It is a hog though. I just use it for Twitch when I feel like streaming.

OP, are you wanting to stream or are you wanting to record?

Thanks for the input everyone.

I just experimented with trying to do video capture without the use of a dedicated card, and the results are horrendous.

I used XSplit, played my game at 1600p resolution, and locally broadcasted at 1080p. The game was unplayable while the game was recording.

My only option for video capture has to be with dedicated hardware like the Avermedia Live Gamer HD.

This hardware *does* exist commercially though. For instance, Epiphan Systems Recorder Pro DL RM shown here:

http://www.epiphan.com/products/recording/vgadvi-recorder-pro-dl-rm/

Will ingest a 2560x1600 feed and encode / output in 1080p.

BUT, it's $11,000 - https://ssl.epiphan.com/order/order_nv.php?pid=246

I wonder why this shit is so expensive when Avermedia can make a 1080p video capture card for only $150? I mean 1600p is almost double the resolution of 1080p, and I wouldn't mind paying $300 for a 1600p video capture card... but $11,000? That's nuts.

Someone from the AV industry please chime in.

UPDATE:

Just experimented with Dxtory and it works well without any dedicated hardware.

With Dxtory, I experience no framerate drops in-game, which is awesome.

Recording with Dxtory codec @ 1080p + 30fps yields about 7GB per minute of game play.

With a 1TB HD, that gives me about 2 hours of potential 1080p recording. My gaming sessions usually last about 4 hours so I'm going to need a 2TB HDD for this.

UPDATE:

Just experimented with Dxtory and it works well without any dedicated hardware.

With Dxtory, I experience no framerate drops in-game, which is awesome.

Recording with Dxtory codec @ 1080p + 30fps yields about 7GB per minute of game play.

With a 1TB HD, that gives me about 2 hours of potential 1080p recording. My gaming sessions usually last about 4 hours so I'm going to need a 2TB HDD for this.

Dxtory outputs in raw avi, that's why it's so huge. I use Dxtory to output a stream to Xsplit, which saves to a .mp4, which is much smaller.

Performance hit is minimal on any reasonable system.

Dxtory outputs in raw avi, that's why it's so huge. I use Dxtory to output a stream to Xsplit, which saves to a .mp4, which is much smaller.

Performance hit is minimal on any reasonable system.

This is pretty cool- need to remember to try this, I have a few hard drives and SSD's laying around.

Would be nice if you could use Quicksync for encoding the output- but I wonder if you'd want faster memory for something like that; and the non-HT 'k' series CPUs most people have use the cut-down IGP version. Worth a shot at some point, maybe?

Check out OpenCL hardware rendering support. Will save you some CPU cycles.

Back