Video Bitrate

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't rip Blu Rays very often, normally just T.V. series. Anyhow, what video bit rate do you encode at? I'm trying constant quality in Handbrake with a setting of 26 and I'm ending up with files over 1.3GB for a 22 minute episode.

Well, I just checked the bitrate and for the video it's over 7,000. What bitrate should I be encoding them at for 1920x1080?

For 1080p I encode at 10000-12000 Kbps into an MKV / H264 codec. This will give you very high quality. If you're looking to cut back on file size for storage reasons, consider 720p at 4200 Kbps into an MKV / H264. It still looks damn good, but it isn't 1080.

I think it has been suggested numerous times on the VideoHelp forum that one should use the Constant Quality setting in Handbrake, and not specify a bitrate. In Handbrake's own documentation, 21~23 is recommended for Blu-Ray.

Yeah I should have specified I use CRF that results in an average bitrate of about 10,000. CRF is the way to go.

Here are the settings I use for Blu-ray's and DVD's. These are for "as good as original" quality. We play these on an AppleTV on an 82" TV. I have had no problems with video quality.

Things I don't want to see in the video are artifacts due to dithering (like sand dunes), solid colors (black scenes), and grain (Blu-ray's have lots of grain). Unfortionantly this takes processing and bandwidth to get over.

DVD's are about 2.5-3.5GB and Blu-ray's are around 10-16GB. I'm not so concerned about space, since it's relatively cheap. ~900 various movies at 5.5TB. and about 1100 TV Episodes at about 1.2TB.

handbrake-dvd.jpg

handbrake-bluray.jpg

Hey guys what about sound? Do you keep 2 audio files like DTS HD and the regular dts or whatever its called or do you convert to aac? I know that can dramatically shrink the size as well. Lastly mp4 over mkv?

Hey guys what about sound? Do you keep 2 audio files like DTS HD and the regular dts or whatever its called or do you convert to aac? I know that can dramatically shrink the size as well. Lastly mp4 over mkv?

Well my settings are strictly for AppleTV compatibility (and mobile devices as well).

Track 1: AAC Stereo @ 160Kbps
Track 2: AC-3 5.1 channels@ 640Kbps (transcode, pass through was hit or miss for me)
Track 3: DTS-HD Passthrough if available

Also, on the subtitles, be sure to always select English and then forced only. It will add extra time because it will have to scan the entire movie 1 time to see when subtitles are forced. But it will add them correctly. I have only had it mess up once, and it didn't remove a line until the next instance of subtitles kicked in.

Thanks for all the posts everyone!

I should have tried some of the other streams on the disc. It seems to have been an anomaly. For some reason that stream, on the same settings, would produce a file with a size double that of any of the others.

Back