Vid card hangs with SW Battlefront

icthus13

2[H]4U
I just installed Star Wars Battlefront on my system, and every time I try to play, the game hangs about 10 seconds after I get into an actual mission and I get the famous "VPU recovery error." Any ideas? My specs follow:

Athlon XP 2500+
Abit NF7-S rev 2
Radeon 9500 softmod to 9700. Using Omega catalyst 4.9 drivers
gig-o-ram
Soundblaster audigy
etc

The graphics card is overclocked, but I don't think that's the problem, because the same thing happens when I try the game at stock speeds. I've also already re-installed the drivers. I really appreciate any help!

Seems to be. The only other thing I tried was Halo last night, and it ran fine.

fwiw, I have a 9600xt and when I raise the core clock to 670mhz, I get the same "VPU recovery" after a few minutes of gameplay. I think it may be heat related, b/c there's no artifacting. but when I run it at 650Mhz, I can play just fine for hours on end (default speed for the card is 500Mhz).

double check your hsf on the card, hell, put some new AS5 or ceramique on there and see if it helps any.

btw, I'm using the same Omega 4.9's.

a little off topic but....
have you noticed if your card is o/c'd when going into a game or not? with the old version of radlinker, when I'd load a game and it would adjust the clocks, I could alt-tab out of the game and check the clock settings through the advanced display properties...now with the new omega 4.9's, whne I do that, it shows the stock speed....

So I randomly decided to take off my side panel to see if heat was the problem, and guess what I see? The northbridge fan had stopped turning. Stupid NF7 northbridge fans. Time to replace it. At least I know it's not the vid card.

nst6563 said:
a little off topic but....
have you noticed if your card is o/c'd when going into a game or not? with the old version of radlinker, when I'd load a game and it would adjust the clocks, I could alt-tab out of the game and check the clock settings through the advanced display properties...now with the new omega 4.9's, whne I do that, it shows the stock speed....

My games still play (previous to this northbridge incident) like the OC works (no lags at a setting where stock would), so I have to assume that it does indeed still OC the card.

sweet...at least it's not your vid card :)

I guess I'll try a resolution that makes my card lag a bit and then adjust the clock and try again...I've been playing SW:Battefront @ 1024x768 with all the settings on max, and it runs really smooth. Maybe I'll try 1280x1024 and see if I can tell a difference...

thx

Back