Via performance on Hashing

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
Hi lads,

just noticed this new subforum. I have been considering to use my EPIA TC10000 as a backup server, as described by UM here. As part of this, I figure that it may make a lot of sense to use rSync for transmitting the changes only, since it is easy on the bandwidth, which is likely to be limited in my case. Since the rSync algorithm requires quite a bit of "hashing" (I am not sure what term is better suited, if this is inaccurate) in order to create the checksums, I am wondering if I will be CPU limited in my transfers, i.e. can the cpu sustain > 300kbps in throughput when using rSync? If not, would the dual core version help out here?

You might want to take a look at VIA's encryption engine one the newer chips. It is incredibly fast for the power of the system. In some instances it is 1000's of times faster then a 3.0Ghz P4. It also certian hashing functions built in. You have the ability to utilize this hardware it is incredibly powerful but doing so will require custom code which I don't if that is possible in your situation.

If using the hardware encryption is not possible the performance of VIA chips is pretty low compared to everything else. The close clock for clock would be a P2 performance. To really tell you need to find some one that has already done it or test it your self.

thanks, I guess it's time for me to throw the system together and bench it :)

Get the dual Eden system, It looks to be the most powerful :D

Well, here's my results. I tried using a c3 800 based system for a FTP server which does a a crc on files as they are uploaded. I found that on smallish files the crc time was reasonable but when the file was larger, say over 1 gig, the time taken to crc it would reach into the minutes not seconds. Needless to say any ftp client would time out with that long of a delay so it proved to be useless for larger files. I'm highly disappointed with that info as I had put quite a bit of work into the setup of it.

I'm debating rma'ing the thing or possible using it for media in the living room. Just not sure how it would handle the demands of that usage.

Erm, that WAS a dual eden board. C7's arent that tiny lol.

dekard said:
Well, here's my results. I tried using a c3 800 based system for a FTP server which does a a crc on files as they are uploaded. I found that on smallish files the crc time was reasonable but when the file was larger, say over 1 gig, the time taken to crc it would reach into the minutes not seconds. Needless to say any ftp client would time out with that long of a delay so it proved to be useless for larger files. I'm highly disappointed with that info as I had put quite a bit of work into the setup of it.

I'm debating rma'ing the thing or possible using it for media in the living room. Just not sure how it would handle the demands of that usage.
yeha i read your thread. I am still going to install the stuff and give it a go soon. Thanks for the heads up though.

No problem. Its a lovely little system, just not quite powerful enough for what I need. I am turning it into a HTPC tho where it should really shine.

Back