VIA C3M266 Socket 370 DDR Motherboard

When you get it up, post the specs and how it performs. A VIA system like that would be the perfect computer to put in a closet to fold because it would be absolutely silent and not need cooling.

yeah, what are the specs., it'd make a cheap spare box to have around

A ddr p3 motherboard is interesting. Personaly I would try to dig up a pentium 3 to run on it unless you are trying for a real quiet box.

I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail...

[/thumb twidling, cricketts chirping...

I'm thinking over clocked celeron if possible, since the multipliers are a bit higher, and run it at 133 MHz or higher bus... though I'm not sure if the via chipset locks the agp or pci bus...

The last P3 I had was a 733.. so I'm into some new territory here, being mainly socket A for the last 4 years...

MD

Almost done replacing the ultra-crappy GSC brand capacitors (all but 6 of 29 are TOAST) with Panasonic FJ's (not ultra crappy)... Then I'll round up all the parts I need...

{RANT}

BTW, the mini-itx boards still use GSC... Now for the price you pay for one of those boards, why didn't they use, Panasonic, Rubycon, Sanyo or Nichicon (excluding H series)??? Seems like a rip off to me.

{/RANT}

MD

A ddr p3 motherboard is interesting. Personaly I would try to dig up a pentium 3 to run on it unless you are trying for a real quiet box.
SEE SIG ;)

If you can find a VIA, I'd like some benches posted......I'd be curious. The P3 is easier to find, but don't expect huge gains from the ddr memory. I'd say about a 10% gain is the going norm for ddr over pc133 for a P3/ddr pairing.

The board is recapped, finger crossed, now I need to find a processor and some DDR...

If it fires up, the fun and games will begin..

MD

DeadlyAura said:
When you get it up, post the specs and how it performs. A VIA system like that would be the perfect computer to put in a closet to fold because it would be absolutely silent and not need cooling.

AFAIK, VIA cpus arent much good for folding - something along the lines of a 700mhz one being equivalent to P2 when it comes to folding. Should be perfect for a file server, or an ftp server though.

Was thinking of eventually putting it in my parents computer to replace the K-6-2-400 they are running... Or keep it for my toddler that plays games on my computer already...

MD

Tried it today, fans spin up but nada... It may be due to the older socket 370 cpu I'm using it's a "maybe it works" from a buddy at work...

I need to get my hands on a newer flip chip...

If it's a board designed to handle Tualatin it won't(shouldn't) support the older PPGA Celerons to due VRM changes. For a Tualatin board the VRM stops at 1.825 volts, where the PPGAs were 2 volt chips.

Back