VGA to RGB Component cables..do they work?

Angry

Limp Gawd
I was looking at this:
Amazon Link

I am putting together a small HTPC to stream my media from my media server. Its a Biostar T-force 6100 AM2 board that I revived by soaking it in alcohol.

Anyway, it only has VGA out. And I tried the VGA input on my older Mitsu DLP HDTV and its wavey and even Windows 7 cant pick up the proper resolution. Even when set maunally. (720p is default with 1080i max)
The nvidia drivers and Win7 display porperties dont even seem to agree with each other either. Ive tried VGA before on this TV and had the same issue with a Radeon 4870. However, RGB and DVI-to-HDMI hookups worked perfectly.

The ones that came with the card here. (exact same card)

Nonetheless Im wondering if the above cable could possibly work? The reviews are very conflicting.

If not..Im just going to grab a cheap Radeon 4350 and throw in the machine and use HDMI.
I have to find some DDR2 for it anyway since Ive been borrowing a stick from my main rig.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Won't work unless your TV specifically supports RGB in (highly unlikely).

Ah, so the normal HD rca type of hookup, say from Xbox 360 HD component cables, (the one with 5 connectors w/ audio, not the 3 /w single yellow video and 2 audio), is different than cable from amazon ?

I know the cable from amazon doesnt carry audio, but I can get around that.

The TV has several component RCA video RedGreenBlue and audio inputs, as well as a single HDMI.

They're carrying different signals. The Xbox 360 outputs component (YPbPr), while using that cable with a VGA port would get you RGB. Your TV isn't going to accept RGB (VGA port notwithstanding). I've only seen RGB input on some high end projectors (ie Barco).

Gotcha. Guess Ill grab a $30 Radeon 4350 off the egg and stick with HDMI.

Thanks man.

They're carrying different signals. The Xbox 360 outputs component (YPbPr), while using that cable with a VGA port would get you RGB. Your TV isn't going to accept RGB (VGA port notwithstanding). I've only seen RGB input on some high end projectors (ie Barco).

VGA doesn't use all the pins. Some cables like that take the extra pins and outputs YPrPb. Well, i should say whatever the cable is connected to outputs that signal. I had an old nvidia card that would do it, but unfortunately, this is entirely dependent on the hardware.

VGA doesn't use all the pins. Some cables like that take the extra pins and outputs YPrPb. Well, i should say whatever the cable is connected to outputs that signal. I had an old nvidia card that would do it, but unfortunately, this is entirely dependent on the hardware.
I've never seen any hardware that uses a VGA port to output component video. ATI had adapters to go from DVI to component, but that was about it. All the pins on a VGA port are used for other things and there really isn't anything left over to spare.

I've never seen any hardware that uses a VGA port to output component video. ATI had adapters to go from DVI to component, but that was about it. All the pins on a VGA port are used for other things and there really isn't anything left over to spare.

Maybe it was using the pins on a DVI... man that was a long time ago.

Back