VGA-Svideo cable? Can I make one?

mgars

Limp Gawd
My laptop doesn't have an s-video out. It's an older HP so I'm not really surprised, but hey you can't be too picky when it's free. Here's my question -

I want to find a way to splice a VGA to s-video - is this possible? googling has found 120$ convertors, but that's not cost-effective for me. I've found directions to make vga-component out of cat5 cable, i can do that, but what about svideo--anyone know? should it be similar?

thanks!

Only if your laptop specifically supports those type of passive convertors - many do not and most desktop video cards don't either.

k1114 said:
Only if your laptop specifically supports those type of passive convertors - many do not and most desktop video cards don't either.
standard VGA signal is totally different than any of the TV inputs. that is why a transcoder is so expensive. it actually changes the signal type.

IDversusEGO said:
standard VGA signal is totally different than any of the TV inputs. that is why a transcoder is so expensive. it actually changes the signal type.

Yep :) Although some laptops (my dads dell does) support those passive DIY convertors because there is some type of internal convetor that is controlled by software.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back