VGA Output only laptop, to HDTV?

slaya

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, i'm looking to for easiest and/or cheapest method to output video from a laptop that only supports VGA output to an HDTV which accepts RCA, Component, or HDMI as sources of input.

To clarify:

Laptop Output: VGA
HDTV Input: RCA (red, yellow, white), Component(Red, green, blue), and HDMI

Thanks

One way would be a VGA->DVI adapter (make sure it's DVI-I) then a DVI-to-HDMI cable...unless there's a cable that skips the DVI step.

Using composite (the yellow input) will yield video quality so poor you'll want to gouge your eyeballs out.

You could use a VGA to component cable, but that only works if your video card can output yuv over vga (most can't).

What you want is a VGA to HDMI converter (dedicated box).

What you want is a VGA to HDMI converter (dedicated box).
^^This.

Passive adapters and adapter cables will not work since an analog signal must be converted electronically to a digital signal. VGA tends to convert to hdmi well and mantains a lot of the quality. You'll also need the appropriate audio cable.

Here's a couple of examples:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=6191&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629&seq=1&format=2

Amazon may have similar units for a little less $$

Last edited:
From the research I had done prior, it seemed as if the converter box was the only option, and you guys confirmed that. Thanks a lot.

I ordered the VGA to HDMI converter from monoprice because I was ordering the cables and rest of the crap from them anyways.

My gameplan is to route the vga cable from the tv down through the crawlspace and up next to the side table where the laptop will usually be placed and setup a VGA/3.5mm Stereo plate on the wall. Obviously from there any time there is a need to connect the laptop to the TV, a short VGA/Stereo cable can be connected to the wall for use. More than likely the short VGA cable can stay attached to the wall plate and be tucked behind the side table at all times.

This setup is in a living room with a lot of traffic so I don't want a 35' vga cable dangling across the floor.

The wall plate I refrenced:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10425&cs_id=1042506&p_id=4569&seq=1&format=2

Thanks again.

NP

Sounds like an interesting setup btw, it's great when going under the floor is an option.

can I make a suggestion, DO NOT route the VGA cable, route a HDMI cable, main reason is that running cable is usually the hardest part and HDMI is more future proof. And when you do buy the HDMI cable buy the thickest, fastest one they make, with as many traces, so one with ethernet. This way it is likely to work with newer standards for HDMI.

And if you can think of anything else you might need do run it at the same time =]

You shoudl probably buy the 6 port keystone wall jack you can get HDMI ports and anything else you might need. Then if you ever change anything its a simple to buy a new jack.

I do agree with what your saying, and I thought of it aswell.

The main concern was price. This application is for my parents, and honestly they aren't hitech people who even care for the extent that i'm already taking this to by setting up a wall mount. Budget was key, and the added cost of running the wire through the floor (i'll do this myself ofcourse, but in terms of more items needing to be purchased) was already "overkill" in their eyes.

Had I ran the HDMI wire, and setup an hdmi wall socket, and then did all the converting after the wall socket, it would have been a mess of wires there making this "clean" setup a clutter.

I also did think of the fact that VGA would pickup more noise than an HDMI cable, so running the majority of the length with HDMI would also be more appropriate in that sense.

Overall, I just wanted to do this as cheap and easy as posssible, my parent's will appreciate that i'm putting in some more effort to make this a bit cleaner and neater for them but honestly it won't really effect their lives much either way.

Well i think going HDMI should be about the same price just make sure HDMI is what it is in the wall

It would be about the same price, but it would also be a lot more clutter than what i'm looking for. I understand it isn't as future proof, but for this application it's the most appropriate option, being that a clean simple install is worth more than the idea of future proof.

Having to plug the laptop directly into the wall would be *simple and clean*, versus, having a wall socket with an HDMI output, with a cable going to a conversion box, and then plugging the laptop into the conversion box, and also having to plug the conversion box into a power outlet, which although would be more future proof, would not be ideal for what I am looking for.

For my less tech savy parents, the latter would lead to more confusion than needed for them.

I understand your point, I just feel the VGA serves as a better solution for this.

Last edited:
Back