VGA cooling - EVGA ACX3.0 or MSI Twin Frozr VI?

Which one will be quieter, given the same card underneath?

• MSI Twin Frozr VI

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • EVGA ACX3.0

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Momo

Gawd
haven't heard an ACX cooler in a while. I think my wife's gtx760 might have an old version.
I currently have a twin froz V and find it to do a very nice job.

The EVGA ACX 1080 costs $620 and the MSI Gaming 1080 costs $720 so that makes the choice simple to me. And that MSI card can not even oc any better than the base ACX model which uses the reference board.

Both are fantastic, the only one you would think feels like a cheap flimsy piece of crap is from Gigabyte. MSI and Nvidia coolers I've been very happy with.

I voted MSI myself, giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm really after which card to get, but wanted to keep the question to the cooler.

TBH, i'm waffling between the 1070 and stepping up to a 1080. I've got a 970 now, which a guy at work wants.

The difference between EVGA and MSI @ the 1080 level seems to be as much as $110cdn for the same approx. level of card.
The difference between the 1070 between the two seems to be closer to $30cdn.

crazy! What is MSI thinking? that they are a premium brand or what? I'm not so sure i'd put them that far above EVGA, even if they do technically have the 'best' cooler.

evga 1080: http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-sc-38-131608.htm
msi 1080: http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-twin-87-132013.htm

evga 1070: http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-sc-f3-132464.htm
MSI 1070: http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-twin-76-132423.htm

One thing i'm not sure of, maybe you folks have noted it in reviews: the cards that are already OC'd, are the OC that they ship with consistently nearly maxed already? or are folks getting more out of them?

Actual noise is going to in a large part be dependent on the fan curve set.

MSI TwinFrozr VI should however be the more effective heat sink since it is larger (mass, surface area, fan size). Both seem to employ the same base plate for component cooling.

Whether or not it's worth it is another matter.

If they both cost the same, which one is better?

They both cost the same here.

Get the MSI if they are both the same price. Lots of complaints out there about the ACX. Only complaint I have seen in regards to the MSI is the price.

I'll have my MSI in hand later today and I will post my impressions. I paid the extra $ because I want the quietest air cooled solution available ATM. My MSI 980ti with the Twin Frozr cooler is very quiet so I have high expectations for this one.

TPU already has a review of the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming. It is 1 dBa quieter relative to the Fury X at load for their measurements.

In terms of cooling effectiveness it really comes down to size matters. The TwinFrozr is simply way bigger.

it's really that much bigger than the EVGA ACX3.0 Limitedaccess? hard to find good info on the ACX it seems.

edit: oh wow, the evga appears to be in two separate stacks of fins. the MSI is one, apparently larger, bank. Sure seems like the MSI is going to do a better job, not to mention that they appear to have a higher static pressure fan design this time around, where evga simply made the ballbearings sturdier without fan blade redesign. I guess MSI is the clear answer then.

it's really that much bigger than the EVGA ACX3.0 Limitedaccess? hard to find good info on the ACX it seems.

edit: oh wow, the evga appears to be in two separate stacks of fins. the MSI is one, apparently larger, bank. Sure seems like the MSI is going to do a better job, not to mention that they appear to have a higher static pressure fan design this time around, where evga simply made the ballbearings sturdier without fan blade redesign. I guess MSI is the clear answer then.

The EVGA one sticks with the reference board size. The MSI (and many others) go beyond that in either width and/or length.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/H/C/585120/gallery/MSI-Geforce-GTX-1080-cards_w_450.png

This image is a good comparison. The Aero and Sea Hawk are reference sized.

The other difference is the EVGA is one flat base plat over components like the VRAM and VRMs. The MSI is two separate pieces, a flat one for the VRAMs and finned one for the VRMs. You can see it in the TPU review.
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8 GB Review
EVGA - Articles - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

Got my MSI 1080 Gaming in last night as thus far I am pretty impressed by the cooler. Going to try overclocking tonight.

MSI seems like it would be more effective, being a much larger cooler with 3 fans. But the cost difference is huge, and as we know all 1080s are basically identical, every one will get to 2.05Ghz.

I have an EVGA ACX SC 1080 myself and for what it's worth, the default fan curve keeps it below 70C when overclocked to 2.05Ghz and is completely inaudible under full load outside my fractal define r5.

Back