vf900 + x1900xt + LL v1200b Plus Case = High temps

mattjbak

Gawd
Hello,

I think that the problem (80c+ load temps) is due to the upside down arrangement in my case which would flip the heatpipes. Otherwise, what do you think the problem is? I used their thermal paste as my AS5 is 6 hours away (plan on applying tommorow).

Any ideas?

I believe the vf900 depends a lot on case airflow. I have a v1000 and sli'd 7900gt's. i thought my temps would go down but it actually went up when i installed the vf900. I placed my hand around the area of the heatsink and there's a lot of hot air just being circulated in there, hence i believe thats the problems w/ vf900's. the only way to remedy this was to place a fan on top of the 7900gt's and have it blowing from the top to get all that hot air out of there. Doing so lowered my temps by 10c.

try putting a fan there see if your temps changes

Yeah your V1200 should have come with either a blower-style fan or a newer 120mm fan mount to go right over the video cards... try installing it.

Yea the fan is installed on the side of the card, but it doesn't blow air, it sucks and blows it out of the case.

I picked up one of the Sunbeam Everywhere (I think) PCI adaptors and stuck a 120MM over my video card when I was using my VF-700, still using it for water cooling to cool my memory. Needs to keep the air moving over that video card.

IMG_2793.jpg

Another option which I played with was this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16841101035

IMG_2794.jpg

Strap another 120mm to the back and mount it in front of the video card, will pull in cool air to the video card. Unfortunately the V2000 is so big the air just doesnt move well through it without some help.

Dean

80+C load temps sounds awful high, especially with a VF900, try flipping your case upside down, then you could find out if the orientation of the heatpipes made a difference. How hot did the card run with a stock heatsink?

my X1800XT 512mb runs up to 75 load, and thats with a stock cooler, in a regular atx case, so I would definitely be suspicious. vf900 is supposed to be one of the very best.

Orientation won't matter. Check contact. If the case is warm or not getting cool air than 80 C load is possible. Without the fan mods I did the VF 700 was still loading my X1800XT around 70. Once I got some air to the card my load temps dropped into the high 40's - low 50's. If the room is warm and the case is warm inside thanb 80C load is still possible.

these video cards were made to take high temps.

i personally bought the vf900 for noise reasons lol

I'm gonna have to pick something up for my card, I am getting the Ultra MicroFly mATX case, and if I leave the stock cooler on it, it's just gonna raise my case temp ridiculously. Even right now, with my big chenming case, my x1800xt w/ stock has raised my case temps 3 deg C.

Back