cageymaru

Fully [H]
VESA has announced that it has created a new variant of the DisplayHDR standard that promises up to 100X deeper black levels for OLED and other emissive displays. When compared to VESA's DisplayHDR 1000 performance tier; DisplayHDR True Black allows for up to 100X deeper black levels, a greater dynamic range and a 4X improvement in rise time. Vesa has also added in a new 500 performance level test for ultra-lightweight HDR laptops. This standard will also apply to monitors. "A specification performance summary table for the VESA DisplayHDR and DisplayHDR True Black standards is available for download."

"Embracing the new DisplayHDR True Black standard, OLED is the ideal display technology for mixing bright highlights with deep, true blacks, so consumers can create extraordinary content or simply appreciate incredibly breathtaking imagery on their PCs," said Jeremy Yun, vice president, OLED Marketing Team, Samsung Display Company. "The new standard, when coupled with VESA's DisplayHDR logo program, will show consumers that True Black represents a highly important step in enhancing gaming, TV or movie watching, as well as viewing and editing of photos and videos. Users can see and feel a dynamic range that yields a superior high-end HDR experience."

I actually can't wait to see OLED monitors the 13 inch Alienware has a real nice laptop screen yet they haven't really expanded the line yet which is disappointing, although they have a burn in problem so did regular LCDs during the early years, also microled and qled technologies seem very promising and have been doing well.

Hopefully my next main monitor will be 38inch 4k ultrawide 120htz hdr spec OLED/qled/microled monitor then after that I suppose we will be chasing the 8k mark, I seriously hope NVidia, Intel, and AMD can get some significant gains with 7nm Chiplets and UVL lithography to make up for all the horsepower we are gonna need to drive these.

I can't recall but how many times have GPUs outpaced the current monitors abilities? Versus the hohum of GPUs trying to catch up to the monitor market?

"How much more black can it be? The answer is none, none more black."

This doesn't make much sense. The panel has the black it has, they aren't making anything darker nor are they making any new content type available. It's basically just a name for a specific existing performance spec. And probably a cash grab to get the useless certification.

This doesn't make much sense. The panel has the black it has, they aren't making anything darker nor are they making any new content type available. It's basically just a name for a specific existing performance spec. And probably a cash grab to get the useless certification.

I have to agree, it does not make sense. Oled already has perfect blacks. If this is about black and dark details, well, HDR already uses 10-bit color depth, soon 12-bit so the detail there. I do not understand what this is all about.

Last edited:
I have to agree, it does not make sense. Oled already has perfect blacks. If this is about black and dark details, well, HDR already uses 10-bit color depth, soon 12-bit so the detail. I do not understand what this is all about.
Same. It might just be for extra marketing to be able to upsell uninformed consumers.

Because display makers are so good at confirming to existing standards they need a new target to miss.

Seriously VESA has lost its mind, if they spent half as much energy pushing the standards they currently have as they do making new ones, we could have an actual standard for HDR.
Then maybe Microsoft would be able to implement that across the OS properly.
Or better yet, with a standard: content creators could agree on how to produce it.
This shit is a worse mess than HD DVD vs BluRay.

Every display maker already has a million confusing models of displays that struggle to hit the certifications that currently exist. Very, very few of them comfortably do both Dolbyvision and HDR10.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Back