VERY VERY Strange mem usage problem, PLEASE help!!

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got finished installing a clean install of win10. Loaded all drivers, and necessary programs. After all was done (just like the 56473 times in the past after doing this) sitting at the desktop NOTHING running in background mem usage is 2.1gb.. Completely NORMAL. First program I loaded was ADIA64 to check memory stability just to make sure mem is stable at XMP settings, system loaded all 32gb (as it has 57465 times in the past) all was stable after 30mins testing, I hit "Stop" and exiting program, and for whatever reason I looked at mem usage again in task mrg and it is dead set on 5gb... Thought that was weird, so i rebooted, once back into windows, i went back into task manager and still reading 5gb sitting at an idle desktop, NOTHING RUNNING IN BACKGROUND.. I have tweaked my background tasks to have only important stuff going (Like ive done 5765 times in the past) FOr some reason something is doubling my normal mem usage at idle and cant figure it out! HELP ME PLEASE!!! Anything I can do to flush/purge mem while at desktop?? Clueless here as ive never had this happen before.

OS is CLEAN AND FRESH and all windows updates auto loaded. Win is version 1803.
Please, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

EDIT** No matter how many times i restart or shut off pc completely, as soon as win10 boots back to desktop, its dead set @ 5gb mem usage sitting idle on desktop

I just got finished installing a clean install of win10. Loaded all drivers, and necessary programs. After all was done (just like the 56473 times in the past after doing this) sitting at the desktop NOTHING running in background mem usage is 2.1gb.. Completely NORMAL. First program I loaded was ADIA64 to check memory stability just to make sure mem is stable at XMP settings, system loaded all 32gb (as it has 57465 times in the past) all was stable after 30mins testing, I hit "Stop" and exiting program, and for whatever reason I looked at mem usage again in task mrg and it is dead set on 5gb... Thought that was weird, so i rebooted, once back into windows, i went back into task manager and still reading 5gb sitting at an idle desktop, NOTHING RUNNING IN BACKGROUND.. I have tweaked my background tasks to have only important stuff going (Like ive done 5765 times in the past) FOr some reason something is doubling my normal mem usage at idle and cant figure it out! HELP ME PLEASE!!! Anything I can do to flush/purge mem while at desktop?? Clueless here as ive never had this happen before.

OS is CLEAN AND FRESH and all windows updates auto loaded. Win is version 1803.
Please, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

EDIT** No matter how many times i restart or shut off pc completely, as soon as win10 boots back to desktop, its dead set @ 5gb mem usage sitting idle on desktop
Most likely superfetch loaded the application on background. It's Windows - get used to having no control over it.

Well, you'll know for sure if you kill superfetch and the memory releases.

has something to do with this BS "KILLER Network NIC" built into this MEG ACE board. I just reformatted again, and watched every driver install single handedly. After the Killer NIC install, bam, there was the issue. Only other option is to use the Intel Wifi built in if I want to get rid of this Killer BULLSHIT... Damn MSI, why did you not install an INTEL NIC on a 300$ board.... Fuckers

I was wrong on last statement, it is a windows update 1803 patch that downloads on windows update...... not a killer issue... guess ill wait till MS fixes this with another update. im not formatting 3 times in 1 day. Im over it already, not hurting performance, but just annoying to see 2gb's more then normal being used

just annoying to see 2gb's more then normal being used
Is it used, allocated, reserved, or something else? If it's being used for caching, then the above statement is equivalent to saying "I'd rather the RAM I bought sit idle rather than be used to speed up my system"

how do i know how to answer that sir? Where can/what tell me this?

EDIT, and as an update, it seems this is the result of a windows update as after this "ANOTHER" fresh format, as soon as I updated windows, this happens, NOT from the killer network drivers

has something to do with this BS "KILLER Network NIC" built into this MEG ACE board. I just reformatted again, and watched every driver install single handedly. After the Killer NIC install, bam, there was the issue. Only other option is to use the Intel Wifi built in if I want to get rid of this Killer BULLSHIT... Damn MSI, why did you not install an INTEL NIC on a 300$ board.... Fuckers

My opinion is it is not the Killer driver but the additional software that is installed with it. Did you make sure to do the driver only? Figured I would ask, just in case.

Edit: Eh, never mind, was responding to your original post without seeing what you typed below, sorry.

how do i know how to answer that sir? Where can/what tell me this?

EDIT, and as an update, it seems this is the result of a windows update as after this "ANOTHER" fresh format, as soon as I updated windows, this happens, NOT from the killer network drivers
If you're that paranoid about what happens inside your OS Windows is going to drive you crazy. Just tellin...

okay, had enough trying multi combo's and formatted 3 times yesterday to single out specific drivers and finally a light bulb went off in my head! I simply DISABLED the Killer NIC in the bios, and here is my mem usage now..... Finally back to normal. So something in the windows update and killer network drivers where not happy with each other. So now im just using the built in Intel AC wireless, and being 4 ft from the router, speeds are the same.

mem-usage969.png

okay, had enough trying multi combo's and formatted 3 times yesterday to single out specific drivers and finally a light bulb went off in my head! I simply DISABLED the Killer NIC in the bios, and here is my mem usage now..... Finally back to normal. So something in the windows update and killer network drivers where not happy with each other. So now im just using the built in Intel AC wireless, and being 4 ft from the router, speeds are the same.

View attachment 116944
There's a memory leak in the killer suite that you can avoid by only installing the driver and not the suite and/or disabling the network data usage driver:
Also, killer acknowledges it's their issue: https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/driver-downloads/kb/tag/tag/memory-leaks#faq_45

im happy with the built in intel ac wireless.... ill nvr touch a "killer" product again. thanks tho, certainly good to know that it is a known issue and it still hasent been fixed.

There's a memory leak in the killer suite that you can avoid by only installing the driver and not the suite and/or disabling the network data usage driver:
Also, killer acknowledges it's their issue: https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/driver-downloads/kb/tag/tag/memory-leaks#faq_45

Thanks for posting that, I'm not OP, but I also have a Killer NIC and the Killer suite installed. I'll give this a try myself, as I had a lot of memory issues with Win10 1803.

I've noticed that my system would start to lag out after a lot of NIC usage (day trading or video feeds). Using RAMMap to check memory, it showed that the Standby-List had filled up all of my memory (although no programs showed as having that much stored in stand-by), thus the pagefile starts to get hit, and OS drive queue length starts to grow (confirmed with Resource Monitor). It seems the programs are releasing the memory, but the OS isn't purging them to make room. This is why some games on 1803 (BF1) will start to lag after about an hour.

Clearing the Standby-List sometimes helped, but it'd come back. There is a known issue with 1803 (1803 made changes to memory management) that causes the memory manager to not properly purge the Standby resources when released. Supposedly there might be a fix in 1809 (there's a few custom user made tools to auto purge it when standby reaches a threshold). Curious if the two are connected - leaky driver filling up the memory and the OS not properly purging.

Last edited:
Just now had to deal with this on my new MSI board. After two installs later, tracked it down to this NIC card and it's stupid network optimizer.

I really want to know what the hell this driver suite does with 4GB of RAM. I'm guessing it's some kind of cache, but cache isn't going to help you with gaming.

Anyhow, if you don't want the crap installed anymore, go to Killer's site and get the uninstall tool.
https://www.killernetworking.com/support/KillerSoftwareUninstaller.exe

It will removes all of the killer crap and has an option to disable Windows update from downloading it again.

Back