very very slow bootup

oOo sam lee oOo

Limp Gawd
you know when you reformat, bootup should take like 15 or 20 seconds from the windows xp logo screen to the desktop? well, my computer used to do that, and it'd bootup in like 3 sweeps of the little blue bar, and then spend about 5 seconds on the welcome screen, and i was on the desktop. (i guess less than 15 seconds) but now, when i reformat, it takes forever, it takes at least 12 or 13 sweeps or the blue bar, and spends probably 30-40 seconds on the welcome screen before it gets to the desktop all loaded up. i ran memtest about two weeks ago overnight, and there were no errors. i dunno how ot check everything else though. could it possibly be becuase i've reformatted so many times? doesnt seem likely, but maybe? or maybe something wrong with cpu?

winxp w/sp2
2.8ghz p4@~2.98
512mb pc3200 ram (kingston, corsair? one of the two)
2x120gb wd IDE hd's, one curently disconnected in case it had something to do with it (#2 has all my music and vids)

i also tried lessening what goes on during startup, but it doesnt seem to make a difference. i didnt even have to do this before.
btw: once its all loaded up everything works fien excpet for some lag here and there

thanks

try running WD Diagnostic Tools. that should tell you if your drive is dying. otherwise, it could be something else. sometimes my raptor takes a few minutes, other times my system boots up in about 15 seconds. i think i just need to flash my bios. so try those things ;)

Microsoft has a tool called BootVIS that will monitor your next boot, and show you where the hangup lies. It's not officially supported anymore, but if you google the name, you'll find it.

you didnt mention your motherboard.

If its NF4, uninstall the Nvidia IDE drivers from the chipset collection.

i know this is old, but i just got on today

i tried the diagnostic tools, and i cant get through the short test without an error message, and when i tried the full test, my computer just shut down.

I have ECS L4VXA2 (cheapo from fry's) but its been working well before this. the only thing about PIO mode in the BIOS has options like mode 1, mode 2, mode 3, etc.

i havent yet tried to flash my bios, or bootvis so i'll try those out. (btw, any definitive sites on flashing yoru BIOS? differnet places say different thigs)

this is just an update :)

What did the error message say on the short test?
Also check out your bios and go to the advance features to enable HDD S.M.A.R.T.

Save bios settings and reboot an see if Smart test fails.

its been a while, but the error said something like it encountered an error at a certain point on the hard drive
I enabled HDD SMART, and i didnt get anything that said failed (assuming it worked fine) but when i tried installing windows, (which for some reason, it says it couldnt find the ntdlr or whatever its called) but the HD comes out as around 32 gigs. i couldnt restart and try with HDD SMART disabled yet, so i dunno if thats the reason.
as for flashign the BIOS, i still dont know howto do it :p

Back