Very strange post SLI bridge for RTX 3090

Lucky75

Limp Gawd
Hello Guys,
from where I can buy one like that ....
4-slots SLI bridge for RTX 3090 ?

It's called NVLink now.

[EDIT]: Nope, guess it doesn't work.

However, unless you are doing scientific/AI applications, I would highly advise not wasting money on SLI.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
nvidia DID change the NVlink bridge for 3000 series, its smaller than 2000.. and quadro bridges dont work. the only ones ive seen were on nvidias website briefly and theyve been OOS for days. keep looking and checking. expect AIBs to release their very soon also

the ones linked ABSOLULELY DONT WORK WITH 3090S

Just remember if you plan on nvlink-ing 3090s be sure to get all the same brand/model 3090s as the nvlink interfaces aren't in a standard spot. Just look at the monstrosity that GamersNexus had to do to hook up 2 different brands of 3090s. :eek:

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Yes, I know that both cards need to have the same clock and bios settings. I am still thinking did I need secound but for now I am sure that 2 cards should be much better from one.

I know you don't believe us, but really it's not worth it.

This comes from someone who used to run 2080 Ti SLI.

It was a waste of money, and after I went to 1 card performance was just as good and no compatibility problems.

The numbers on this are pretty clear. SLI hasn't been worth it since the Maxwell days. I ran two 1080 Ti's in SLI and found the experience lackluster more often than not. There were a few games where it worked OK, but it didn't scale worth a crap. Gamer's Nexus did testing on SLI and the 3090's and found that it either didn't do anything or only increased performance by a modest amount. It certainly never gained enough performance to justify buying two cards that are only 15% faster than a 3080 on its best day and twice the price of that card.

Let me illustrate what I mean:

Take the 3080 as your baseline. We'll call that, 100% performance. Those cards are $699.99. So, here is how things stack up:

3080 = 100%@$700
3090 = 115%@$1,500
2x 3090 = 115%@$3,000. Sometimes 145% in one or two titles @ $3,000.

Does that make sense to you? I'm the guy who used to buy all NVIDIA or ATi/AMD's GPU's in pairs. I've purchased Titans in pairs. I'm currently running a single RTX 2080 Ti. SLI has been less worth while with each generation. As of January 2021, NVIDIA will no longer include SLI profiles in its drivers. That means what little support there is today is going to absolutely crater after that. Buying two 3090's is the equivalent of lighting $1,500 on fire, or using that to buy a 3090 as a desk ornament. Sure, you've got a second 3090 but it won't be doing anything at all.

The numbers on this are pretty clear. SLI hasn't been worth it since the Maxwell days. I ran two 1080 Ti's in SLI and found the experience lackluster more often than not. There were a few games where it worked OK, but it didn't scale worth a crap. Gamer's Nexus did testing on SLI and the 3090's and found that it either didn't do anything or only increased performance by a modest amount. It certainly never gained enough performance to justify buying two cards that are only 15% faster than a 3080 on its best day and twice the price of that card.

Let me illustrate what I mean:

Take the 3080 as your baseline. We'll call that, 100% performance. Those cards are $699.99. So, here is how things stack up:

3080 = 100%@$700
3090 = 115%@$1,500
2x 3090 = 115%@$3,000. Sometimes 145% in one or two titles @ $3,000.

Does that make sense to you? I'm the guy who used to buy all NVIDIA or ATi/AMD's GPU's in pairs. I've purchased Titans in pairs. I'm currently running a single RTX 2080 Ti. SLI has been less worth while with each generation. As of January 2021, NVIDIA will no longer include SLI profiles in its drivers. That means what little support there is today is going to absolutely crater after that. Buying two 3090's is the equivalent of lighting $1,500 on fire, or using that to buy a 3090 as a desk ornament. Sure, you've got a second 3090 but it won't be doing anything at all.
Hey guys, how big a market do you think there is for fake GPUs? Shroud, fans, blank PCB with no cutouts, bridge with no fingers, RGB powered and controlled through PCI slot. Get the look of an SLI system and all the performance benefit, too. :LOL:

Hey guys, how big a market do you think there is for fake GPUs? Shroud, fans, blank PCB with no cutouts, bridge with no fingers, RGB powered and controlled through PCI slot. Get the look of an SLI system and all the performance benefit, too. :LOL:

I'm sure someone would buy such a thing. However, the rest of us who know better would point and laugh at them the way car guys laugh at Honda Civic owners with fake blow off valves and grape fruit shooter tail pipes.

I can't hate the guy for wanting the best but he has more money then sense based off all his posts through out the board.

Buying two 3090's is the equivalent of lighting $1,500 on fire, or using that to buy a 3090 as a desk ornament. Sure, you've got a second 3090 but it won't be doing anything at all.
No, no, I am sure it also makes and excellent space heater in the winter months. Just run 3DMark in the background. :D

I can't hate the guy for wanting the best but he has more money then sense based off all his posts through out the board.

I understand wanting the best. I've been guilty of overspending on small gains just to achieve that. But at some point, you have to recognize that certain expenses offer such a poor return on investment that they aren't worth while for anyone. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I don't think I'd buy two 3090's. Or if I did, I wouldn't be putting them in the same rig. I'm the guy who rode the SLI train longer than it made sense to do so. Come January 1st, it will make even less sense than it does now.

As for the original poster and his spending habits, I'm not sure he's ever actually purchased any of the stuff he asks about.

I understand wanting the best. I've been guilty of overspending on small gains just to achieve that. But at some point, you have to recognize that certain expenses offer such a poor return on investment that they aren't worth while for anyone. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I don't think I'd buy two 3090's. Or if I did, I wouldn't be putting them in the same rig. I'm the guy who rode the SLI train longer than it made sense to do so. Come January 1st, it will make even less sense than it does now.

As for the original poster and his spending habits, I'm not sure he's ever actually purchased any of the stuff he asks about.
Lol true I felt like he was full of shit myself but you never know. I haven't had SLI since 370s. I didn't like it then since micro studders drove me nuts. It just never felt as smooth as one card.

That's what I'm saying. You want the best? Get one card. SLI/Crossfire ends up being worse than one card when you consider stutter and frame pacing.

Does that mean that a chiplet design like Ryzen is out of the question for GPU's?

Does that mean that a chiplet design like Ryzen is out of the question for GPU's?
The key to a chiplet design working well would be a super fast interconnect like infinity fabric to connect the chiplets and make it so they can share the memory, in the past multi-gpu has relied on PCIe bandwidth and the sli/crossfire bridge to communicate and the lack of bandwidth can cause issues.

If they did it right games wouldn't see it as a multi-gpu setup but as a single card.

No, no, I am sure it also makes and excellent space heater in the winter months. Just run 3DMark in the background. :D
as someone who has a 3080 FE already and just used it to game.. its seriously uncomfortable to be near it. its that hot. the entire room gets flat out hot. not just warm, hot. im getting a waterblock to try to somewhat tame this inferno, but thats just making the heat radiate in a different way. all jokes aside, im glad were going into winter, because this will be brutal in the summer with no AC on. i really dont want to imagine 2x 3090s with 3dmark pegging them. i did considering getting two myself, and still somewhat am only because i have over a thousand dollars in company credit with one of the AIBs

So, now you know that two RTX 3090s with Waterblock at winter is best thermal solution for my apartment. Especially for Tomb Raider, Doom or Jedi Fallen Order.

The key to a chiplet design working well would be a super fast interconnect like infinity fabric to connect the chiplets and make it so they can share the memory, in the past multi-gpu has relied on PCIe bandwidth and the sli/crossfire bridge to communicate and the lack of bandwidth can cause issues.

If they did it right games wouldn't see it as a multi-gpu setup but as a single card.

Infinity fabric isn’t that fast. It’s around PCIe speeds. GPUs need a magnitude of speed faster for “seamless”.

Infinity fabric isn’t that fast. It’s around PCIe speeds. GPUs need a magnitude of speed faster for “seamless”.
Did you remember ATI Radeon 7990 and GeForce 590 ? It should be the same but inside the GPU chip. I think Nvidia and Intel will have own technology like Infinity fabrics on AMD.

No it isn't, I couldn't find numbers to compare Infinity Fabric 2 against PCIe 4.0 but a x16 PCIe 3.0 slot has 15.75 GB/s while IF with 2666 Mhz memory and PCIe 3.0 has 42.667 GB/s bandwidth on package and 37.926 GB/s intersocket. Obviously PCIe 4.0 increases that but IF2 which is based on PCIe 4.0 also does as does higher RAM speed(to a point). The other reason it would be a huge improvement in that regard is that PCIe bandwidth is already fairly saturated before the cards in a multi gpu setup start trying to use the same bandwidth to communicate while the IF links could be dedicated.

I believe there also some latency advantages to using IF but I couldn't find concrete numbers quickly.

as someone who has a 3080 FE already and just used it to game.. its seriously uncomfortable to be near it. its that hot. the entire room gets flat out hot. not just warm, hot. im getting a waterblock to try to somewhat tame this inferno, but thats just making the heat radiate in a different way. all jokes aside, im glad were going into winter, because this will be brutal in the summer with no AC on. i really dont want to imagine 2x 3090s with 3dmark pegging them. i did considering getting two myself, and still somewhat am only because i have over a thousand dollars in company credit with one of the AIBs
I'm planning to undervolt mine for this exact reason.

I ran a 2080ti sli. I couldn't imagine running this setup in my old condo game room. My basement handles this much better and a 3090 runs very cool for what it is. Surprisingly only hitting low 70C temps in gaming.

Back