Very strange network/ping problem...

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by vile1SoC, Aug 3, 2006.

1. vile1SoC

vile1SoC Limp Gawd

Hey guys.

What I have here are two laptops that will not ping each other.

The setup is:
    Laptop 1 has Win2k Pro
    Laptop 2 has WinXP Pro

Both are on a LAN and both have static IP addresses. Laptop 1 can ping Laptop 2 but Laptop 2 cannot ping Laptop 1.

I swapped out the WinXP Pro laptop for another laptop with Win2K Pro on it and the same problem occurs.

One peculiar incident that happened was when I had both Win2K laptops pinging each other, I restarted one and let it boot up. While loading the desktop the other laptop was able to ping the computer but as soon as all the services loaded and the laptop finished booting, the ping window went back to Request Timed Out and I was back to the same problem of Laptop 1 can ping Laptop 2 but Laptop 2 cannot ping Laptop 1.

On the LAN my Desktop sits there with a static IP. Both Laptops can ping my desktop. But my desktop cannot ping Laptop 2 with WinXP Pro on it.

My goal is to get both of these laptops to ping each other so I can run some hardware testing here in the lab. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just thought I'd share why I think this is so weird: Ping isnt a handshake type action. It either sees the computer or it doesnt. Both computers are there on the network so why cant they ping each other?

Thanks again.

2. -(Xyphox)-

-(Xyphox)- [H]ardness Supreme

Win2k Is a pain to network with, you have to same the user/pass on the 2k box to get the network to work... if you can take both to xp

3. vile1SoC

vile1SoC Limp Gawd

Well one of the laptops went into hibernate mode because the power wasnt plugged in and when it rebooted the entire situation changed.

XP laptop can ping 2k laptop
    2k laptop cannot ping XP laptop
    2k laptop can ping desktop
    XP laptop can ping desktop
    2k Pro desktop can ping 2k laptop
    2k Pro desktop cannot ping XP laptop

All of which have SYmantec installed and are on a company LAN as of right now

4. Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows 2[H]4U

Are you going through a router? What medium are you using? (ethernet, wireless, etc) What are your ip (IP addr + subnet) and other relevant settings? (wireless and/or router settings) Basic IP pinging and window's crappy netbios networking are unrelated.

5. vile1SoC

vile1SoC Limp Gawd

both laptops are now using DHCP IP addresses from the company's LAN. the laptops themselves are connected to a Linksys switch via ethernet, with a drop from the company's LAN coming in at the uplink port.

6. Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows 2[H]4U

Quite an odd situation, I doubt that your physical network connection / switch are causing it. The XP firewall can block ICMP echo requests, so ensure that it isnt, other than that I would grab a crossover cable and a working computer and do isolated testing to see if it's one or both of the laptops. A ping *should* be a two way test, a ping from A to B should guarantee a ping from B to A, but a software firewall can allow the sending of requests while ignoring all incoming requests. If you get frustrated with the whole situation you could always format them both and install pcmcia replacement ethernet cards ;o)

7. vile1SoC

vile1SoC Limp Gawd

haha it might come down to that.

On another note: the XP laptop can ping the 2k laptop and the 2k workstation. but the 2k laptop cant ping the 2k laptop. so I tried having the 2k workstation ping the XP laptop and another XP workstation on our LAN....it cant!

Is there some funky XP/2k networking bug I should know about?

8. -(Xyphox)-

-(Xyphox)- [H]ardness Supreme

9. vile1SoC

vile1SoC Limp Gawd

That didnt work:(

Im not trying to setup an XP/2k network, Im trying to just get these 2 laptops to ping each other. Installing NetBEUI really didnt do anything and adding a 2k user to my XP laptop wasnt possible because the username on the 2k laptop is "administrator" so It wouldnt add the computer...but it was just username based, not MAC or IP based so i have no idea how it would have known that it was a 2k laptop.

10. CzarKasm

CzarKasm Limp Gawd

Both of these suggestions are sending the OP on a wild goose chase and have nothing at all to do with the PING command. Having the same username/password on each machine is for Microsoft workgroup networking. NetBEUI is a completely separate protocol from TCP/IP and is totally useless in this scenario.

vile1SoC: You say the two laptops are on a Linksys switch, but what about the desktop, where is it plugged in? Can you plug it into the same switch and retest?

Have you verified that the static IP on the desktop is on the same subnet as the DHCP laptops?

Does the version of Symantec installed have a software firewall component? What about the XP firewall on the XP machine? Try disabling it...

11. vile1SoC

vile1SoC Limp Gawd

Its plugged into the Linksys switch as well
    Did, and it didnt work
    Yes
    No idea...its server based from the company LAN and I have no control over it.
    It's disabled! I even tried re-enabling it then disabling it.
    [/QUOTE]

12. CzarKasm

CzarKasm Limp Gawd

Your typos are killing me. ;) That should be 2k laptop can't ping XP laptop, right?

It sounds like your only issue is with pinging to XP. On the XP system, go to Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced tab -> Settings button for ICMP. Put a check in the first box, "Allow incoming echo request." Try to ping it now.

13. vile1SoC

vile1SoC Limp Gawd

haha sorry about the typos.

Son of a bitch! that seemed like it would work PERFECT but no go:(

14. CzarKasm

CzarKasm Limp Gawd

Can you repeat your test in the first post, but this time pinging to the XP laptop while it is botting up? What happens?

You may also need to check with your company's IT department to verify if the version of Symantec/NAV they are using has a firewall component. But then the behavior of the 2K systems should be the same... :(

15. nessus

nessus 2[H]4U

Did someone install and then later uninstall a version of zonealarm on the machine that will not respond to ping in the past?

This used to be a common problem with older versions of Zone Alarm. They left one driver behind. When it loaded and the rest of the stack was missing, it would block all incoming traffic as it assumed another piece of software was trying to compromise it.

16. mikeblas

mikeblas [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006

How ironic!

Why not start by telling us what error message you get? Is it "Request timed out", or is it "Ping request could not find host", or is it something else?

Actually, it is a handshake. Ping might see the machine, but the machine might not respond. Since you've not told us what error message you get, we don't know if Laptop 2 can find Laptop 1 or not.

17. CzarKasm

CzarKasm Limp Gawd

Indeed! :p (corrected now)