Very strange modem installation issues...

Strykar

Limp Gawd
So, i have a customer, who requests her PC to be formatted, she signs the consent form, I backup her requested data and we're in business. I use her Gateway discs for everything. Get into Windows and run my little checklist, making sure everything works ok before letting it go. While in the diagnostics, I notice her modem is bad.. ask her if she would like it replaced and I do so with her permission.

Upon entering Windows, it sees the new modem and I specify the driver location on the disc.

Now, the strange part. I've installed over 100 of these Aopen FM56-PX 56k dialup modems over the last year or so and never run into this. It gives me a WHQL certification warning... I know it's certified, I've never recieved this before, odd. Then when specifying the location of the driver, it requests the location twice more, looking in "C:\Windows\Drivercache" and simply "D" upon the second request, where it instantly restarts upon completion. Very odd... I get back into Windows and in device manager, it now has the modem named correctly instead of PCI Communication device, but the drivers are not installed for it, rawr. If I try to repeat the process, I get the exact same issues as above.

So... out of desperation I have tried another modem, another disc.. I've even formatted the system with a straight from Microsoft copy of XP Home, but to no avail and the issue continues to repeat itself. This process has been completed with all Windows updates installed as well. Any ideas? I'm pretty stumped here over an annoying problem...

is it a PCI modem? did you try moving it to a different slot..? laso - you mentioned you've installed hundreds of those.. but did you install them in a gateway computer such as this one..? there might be some sort of compatibility issue...

TheMostWantedPolishTwin said:
is it a PCI modem? did you try moving it to a different slot..? laso - you mentioned you've installed hundreds of those.. but did you install them in a gateway computer such as this one..? there might be some sort of compatibility issue...

Yes, tried all slots. One thing I noticed when I first switched out the modem was PNP in Windows didn't recognize the modem was there at all until I rebooted a few times, maybe some kind of weird motherboard issue? I'm not sure.. I've installed 100s into systems and im sure I've had one of this model by now, it's one of the newer ones, a (Gateway has shitty naming schemes now apparently) MFATXPNT 300X Cel.. so I don't know.. The customer is irritated by now, but I don't know what else to do, rawr.

could you just use default 56k dialup modem drivers?

133 said:
could you just use default 56k dialup modem drivers?

I haven't tried that yet, will give a shot when I get in tomorrow. Still, very weird and I have no clue what would cause this. :(

Update: Tried using the generic driver solution, the system restarted itself and the issue is still unsolved. :(

Could be the modem's chipset sometimes certin chipset's and pc's just dont get along together. You try a different brand of modem?

Checked the capacitors on the motherboard?

Don't get too worried about it, if she had enough problems to warrant a reformat, she had some signifigant issues. Motherboard problems are a bitch to diagnose. Often, they can't be directly diagnosed, just eliminate everything else as a problem.

Could be as -(Xyphox)- said, just a fluke with that modem on that motherboard. I've had that problem, though not in the past 4 years.

Tried a third used modem we had in the back, working fine, sigh. Looks like it's resolved, I suppose.

-(Xyphox)- said:

It's just unusal to get these kind of hardware complications this late into the operating system's life cycle... OEM manufacturers frustrate me. :p

Strykar said:
It's just unusal to get these kind of hardware complications this late into the operating system's life cycle... OEM manufacturers frustrate me. :p
gotta love it :p

Back