Very pleased with My new HTPC case (Antec NSK2400)

JustLong

Gawd
I recently rebuilt my media center into an $85 Antec NSK2400.

Specs:
MSI RS482M4-ILD (ATI Radeon Xpress Chipset)
1GB Corsair PC3200 Value RAM (2x512)
2 Western Digital WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM SATA150 Hard Drives (Mirrored)
NEC DVDRW (Replaced with a Silver drive after I took the pics)
MSI NX6200TC-TD64ES Geforce 6200TC 64MB PCIe x16 Video Card
Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
2 Hauppauge PVR 250 MCE Tuners

This was a wonderful case to work with. Plenty of room and very well designed layout.
Img_6424_SM.jpg

I like the clean look of the case. I could do without the USB ports, but I'm sure they will come in handy.
Img_6425_SM.jpg

Img_6426_SM.jpg

Optical drives are easy enough to install since the cage removes without any fuss. The hard drives drop down into Teflon coated guides making installation a snap. The bushings are very squishy and thick, they help keep the drive very quiet.
Img_6428_SM.jpg

Img_6429_SM.jpg

I was able to keep the wiring fairly clean with very little effort. Antec include the two back tie downs to help with cable management. The ATX power cable was more than long enough as was the 12v 4 pin connector. To help separate the PSU/Optical drives there is a black plastic cover that you can adjust where I routed the 4pin power connector.
Img_6427_SM.jpg

The black plastic thing protruding from the back of the case is and adjustable guide to reduce the amount of air that would just get sucked right into the 120mm exhaust fan, guiding the air toward the CPU. This case is very quiet and can't really be heard over normal TV volume. I highly recommend this case to anyone looking to build an inexpensive good looking quiet Media Center.

That case looks phenomenally pretty....I love the cable management. I'm *so* tempted to go buy one now :p

DamienThorn said:
That case looks phenomenally pretty....I love the cable management. I'm *so* tempted to go buy one now :p

The only thing that kept me from getting it before now was I didn't have a MicroATX board. A couple weeks ago I was able to sell my Sonata II and ATX board for the price of this case and board :)

JustLong said:
The only thing that kept me from getting it before now was I didn't have a MicroATX board. A couple weeks ago I was able to sell my Sonata II and ATX board for the price of this case and board :)

I'm just so sick and tired of the case that I have now...it's ok, but so cheaply made it's not funny. I want a nice sleek looking computer, where I can actually use the fan controller that I own to shut my system up some more. It's only barely above a near silent ambient, but that's still too loud :p

I love this case. I use them to make DVR systems for Security Cameras. Great Air flow and the PSU is Good as well.

Hey thanks for the great pics, Im ordering parts to refurb my MCE2005 box? What software are you using in this box? Also how is that 6200 working out?

Thanks,
Skids

Looking at this case, it appears that you might be able to mod it to accept an ATX motherboard without too much effort, though it would remove the air isolation they have setup.

The power supply would need to be relocated to just under the lid, and the bottom inch or so of the divider between the motherboard and powersupply area would need to be cut out, and a couple extra standoffs installed, but it'd be workable.

Honestly, you rarely need more than 4 cards for a HTPC, but my media computer is usually the old parts from my main gaming system, so not having to buy a mATX board for upgrades is a good thing.

I just think it needs like 4 HD mounts. ;)

I just purcahsed this case for my main rig. This is truly an awesome case with incredible value. The build quality and inclusion of a good PSU make it a no brainer. There was also allot of thought put into the design. Wires route very eaily and everything just snaps into place. Also, 120mm fans should be a requirement in any case built after 2005, and thankfully this case has 2 of them.

I actually was ready to pull the trigger on an Antec Fusion but I couldn't find any reviews. Looking for info on the fusion, I just happend to come across the NSK2400. I didn't need the VFD so I got the NSK and I don't regret it one bit.

I think these pictures sold me on one of these cases too!

My one and only question is....how does it look in a home theater? Do those who have bought it have any regrets about not having the aluminum bezel on the Fusion?

I just built a PC for a friend using this case and it was a good experience. Everything is well laid-out and easy to get to. It looks really nice (to me anyway) sitting in an A/V rack, and it's fairly quiet, even with both 120mm fans running on high.

I have no problems recommending this case.

Well i ended up getting this case, it's absolutley stunning. I like this much better than my silverstone case, very functional, very easy and user friendly. Absolutley in love with it. On wed. all the internals will arrive and so will other components and thats when I'll post pictures. As of right now this case looks like it would go absolutley beutifully with other a/v components.

Ockie said:
Well i ended up getting this case, it's absolutley stunning. I like this much better than my silverstone case, very functional, very easy and user friendly. Absolutley in love with it. On wed. all the internals will arrive and so will other components and thats when I'll post pictures. As of right now this case looks like it would go absolutley beutifully with other a/v components.

Ockie you stole the reply right out from under me. I also ordered this case and all my internals arrived today (Wednesday).

Simply amazing case. Don't buy the overpriced Fusion. You don't need a VFD. Get this and save $100.

I also recommend this
silver NEC DVD burner. It matches the case perfectly.

Don't forget to run your 4 pin and fan cables under the mobo before you install it.

P.S. Great pics JustLong. This thread convinced me to get this case and I love it.

ryan and Ockie...I think you two made up my mind. I've been debating between this one and the Fusion, and I think I will save my money :)

jebo_4jc said:
ryan and Ockie...I think you two made up my mind. I've been debating between this one and the Fusion, and I think I will save my money :)

I debated betweent those two cases for several days before going with this case and I don't regret it at all.

ryansebiz said:
Ockie you stole the reply right out from under me. I also ordered this case and all my internals arrived today (Wednesday).

Simply amazing case. Don't buy the overpriced Fusion. You don't need a VFD. Get this and save $100.

I also recommend this
silver NEC DVD burner. It matches the case perfectly.

Don't forget to run your 4 pin and fan cables under the mobo before you install it.

P.S. Great pics JustLong. This thread convinced me to get this case and I love it.

Agreed.

I'm using a black drive, it matches the rest of the case and gives it a touch of contrast... I really like the black drive look in there.

And yes, running your fan cables under the mobo works like a charm :)

My machine is running like a dream, this is an incredible case with incredible looks and functionality, it's quite and it moves a lot of air fast.... I love it.

Now my plasma tv makes me feel like I'm downgrading when I use my 30" dell :( :D

Skids1 said:
Hey thanks for the great pics, Im ordering parts to refurb my MCE2005 box? What software are you using in this box? Also how is that 6200 working out?

Thanks,
Skids
The 6200 is fine at 1280x720, but chugs a bit at higher resolutions. I'm looking to replace it with a 7300 for the Nvida Pure video acceleration.
I'm runing MCE2005, I'll be switching to Vista Ultimate when it RTMs.

I'm glad everyone liked the pics, I'll post some updated pics of it in my HT setup later.

jebo_4jc said:
In this situation no one should ever see a Fusion in person. The damn thing is just so beautiful that I'd be hard pressed not to get it.

I just wished they had reused the 380w PSU in it too, just made it modular or something.

looks good.. i like that case... stealth the drive and put a matrix orbital VFD in the front....

You could stealth the drives, but you have to modify the bay inserts a little. The inserts have a lip at the top to help keep noise from leaking out. I thought about it but don't mind the black drive look at all.

Yes, I bought one and that was before I ever saw this thread. I am completely happy with it and the install went flawlessly. I am typing on it right now to post here. I also got the 6200 passive cooled card, but I haven't hooked it up yet. The PNY example on the egg even includes the YPbPr breakout dongle, a major plus in my opinion. I looked at the Fusion too, but I am on a budget and this one fits the bill perfectly. Here we go..... ;)

I just joined the club. Decided to break down and get a mATX mobo and picked this case out from newegg. I was going to get the Zalman 135 but I just couldnt bring myself to spend that much on a case even though it is an awesome looking case. I allready have 2 Antec cases so I liked the quality and decided on this one.

when you get ur comp together please post pics

Just got my case in today, I have to wait for full completion until the mobo comes in tomorrow. I went ahead and thru up some pictures though in my new thread in the gallery.

The 6200 is fine at 1280x720, but chugs a bit at higher resolutions. I'm looking to replace it with a 7300 for the Nvida Pure video acceleration.
I'm runing MCE2005, I'll be switching to Vista Ultimate when it RTMs.

I'm glad everyone liked the pics, I'll post some updated pics of it in my HT setup later.

I suggest looking into the Sapphire Radeon X550 256MB DDR PCIe x16 with passive cooling. Mine runs fine at 1360x768, and has no problem with HDTV 720p or 1080i.

Newegg use to carry it but it's not listed on their site anymore, but the price was $54.99, and Directron offers it for $59.99.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_url?q=http://www.directron.com/x550256mb.html&fr=AJmkEODNaoY5mPAueV8MxGviUD2QFb3rykhf8-doIvwblUvJdfaCj7wAAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en

I suggest looking into the Sapphire Radeon X550 256MB DDR PCIe x16 with passive cooling. Mine runs fine at 1360x768, and has no problem with HDTV 720p or 1080i.

Newegg use to carry it but it's not listed on their site anymore, but the price was $54.99, and Directron offers it for $59.99.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_url?q=http://www.directron.com/x550256mb.html&fr=AJmkEODNaoY5mPAueV8MxGviUD2QFb3rykhf8-doIvwblUvJdfaCj7wAAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en

I upgraded my MCE to vista a while back. The Geforce 6200 didn't perform as well under vista so I put my x850 Pro in there and use Trixx to under clock it a bit and drop the Fan speed to 30%. It is no louder than any other fan in the system at that speed.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hm.

So how do you guys think this will handle a Radeon 9800XT with a Artic Cooler on it?

I'm looking to dump this Gateway Destination case ASAP.

Hm.

So how do you guys think this will handle a Radeon 9800XT with a Artic Cooler on it?

I'm looking to dump this Gateway Destination case ASAP.
If you are asking about the NSK2400, it will handle your 9800XT + Acrtic Cooler just fine.

I bought this case a while back and when I upgraded to a Harman/Kardon AVR245 receiver, decided to mod it to match the receiver... Some acrylic, paint, and drilling later, my NSK2400 looks like this...
AntecMod.jpg

It's got an Athlon 64x2 3000+ with 1 gig of ram, radeon x800xl, 250, 320, and 500gig HDs, and runs sageTV for media playback and console style games with Playstation controller to USB adapter. :)

That's a pretty slick looking mod to the Antec. Take a sharpie to the screw holes that you put in the top part to complete the look :D

I bought this case a while back and when I upgraded to a Harman/Kardon AVR245 receiver, decided to mod it to match the receiver... Some acrylic, paint, and drilling later, my NSK2400 looks like this...

<snipped image>

It's got an Athlon 64x2 3000+ with 1 gig of ram, radeon x800xl, 250, 320, and 500gig HDs, and runs sageTV for media playback and console style games with Playstation controller to USB adapter. :)

I'm currently in the process of building a NSK2400 as well. I just sleeved all the wiring (besides the PSU), soldered the fans to 3-pin, and I did a bunch of sound absorbing foam. I plugged it in and jumpered the PSU, and you can't even hear the thing with the fans on low. Its going to be awesome. ^_^

Yet to be purchased...
CPU: AMD X2 4800+ Brisbane
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Blue Orb II
MOBO: Biostar TA690G AM2
RAM: 2GB Patriot DDR2-800 CL5
VID: Gigabyte 8500GT HDCP Passive
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
HDD0: WD1600AAJS 160GB SATA2
HDD1: WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA2
Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc Silver DVDRW
Optical: Xbox 360 HDDVD player, or HDDVD-ROM equivalent

I had a a64 venice 3000+ 939 cpu and some spare memory lying around.
So I decided to build my first HTPC.
The case I choose for this was the antec nsk2400.

The case itself is very nice to look at and has plenty of room.
Since this is my first venture into htpc,I didn't realize how big this case was.
The height and length are fine,it's the depth I wish was a little bit shorter.

After looking at the other cases available they are about the same depth.
The case is easy on the eyes and the wallet.

Now I got the guts and the outer sexy shell.
The time consuming part is deciding what software too use and organizing videos,music etc.

I had a a64 venice 3000+ 939 cpu and some spare memory lying around.
So I decided to build my first HTPC.
The case I choose for this was the antec nsk2400.

The case itself is very nice to look at and has plenty of room.
Since this is my first venture into htpc,I didn't realize how big this case was.
The height and length are fine,it's the depth I wish was a little bit shorter.

After looking at the other cases available they are about the same depth.
The case is easy on the eyes and the wallet.

Now I got the guts and the outer sexy shell.
The time consuming part is deciding what software too use and organizing videos,music etc.

what vid card and cooler you're using. im thinking of going with either this or the fusion and am wondering what my options are. have fun w/ your build, take pics, and keep us posted

EDIT: wow the price went up alot. the cheapest ive found it for after shipping is a little over 100. makes the fusion seem like a better value now

what vid card and cooler you're using. im thinking of going with either this or the fusion and am wondering what my options are. have fun w/ your build, take pics, and keep us posted

EDIT: wow the price went up alot. the cheapest ive found it for after shipping is a little over 100. makes the fusion seem like a better value now
For me, the slightly better looks of the Fusion + the slightly stronger PSU made me spend the extra money.

I've put together two Fusion HTPCs, and one uses the 939 Opteron heatsink, and the other is using a Thermaltake HS that has been discontinued.

Don't try to use the AC Freezer 64 with it though....I did....and ended up having to sell the freezer on the FS/T forums. It's too tall. So really, I'd stick with heatsinks that have the fan pointing down.

I found this card to work great in the NSK2400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121056
The heatsink is routed to the back side and gets decent airflow from the rear intake.
ASUS.jpg

It works great with my P5B-VM, just enough clearance over the northbridge cooler.
Also since there isn't much heat radiating from the front of the card you can place a PCI card directly next to it without over heating either card.

Heatsink_Close.jpg

Don't try to use the AC Freezer 64 with it though....I did....and ended up having to sell the freezer on the FS/T forums. It's too tall. So really, I'd stick with heatsinks that have the fan pointing down.
Cool. I almost bought a Freezer64, instead I got an SI128 for it. :)

Back