Very odd Gigabyte Aorus Master MB OC behavior (help)

I just build my first gaming PC from scratch. Before I get into the main issue, I will detail my entire build if that makes any difference.

Build: MB: Case Thermaltake View 71, Aorus Master MB, 32gb of Royal Z ram@3600mhz, i9 9900k, 2 2080ti FTW3 NVlink, Asus Thor 1200watt PSU, Krakken 360 rad AIO 3 TT case fans.

System power draw at peak (thanks to thor oled) is around 900+ watt with OC on 9900k and usually no OC on GPUs (need custom loop for temps).

OK now to my problems and yes I do admit I am a very new builder and experimenter to OC but a long time PC gamer and tech enthusiast. I tried to research as much as possible and am still ending up here.

I have tried all sorts of OC on my motherboard and have yet to have one make sense. I am currently running things stock and even that is not making any sense to me. At "stock" right now outside of enabling XMP, I just ran cinebench and it gave me a score of 2061, had all 8 cores at 5ghz, and highest core voltage was 1.28 and current 8 core CPU multiplier is 48 to 49 with 1.xx to 1.2x voltage. This is extremely efficient and optimized on paper and that doesn't make any sense!

When I tried to manually overclock it I did the following typically: multiplier 50, uncore ratio 47, AVX offset 2, diable MCT (creatively labeled "enhanced multicore performance" in the confusing af gigabyte bios), disabled c states, disabled any boost tech, disabled SVID, Voltage at 1.3 to 1.33, Loadline calibration to turbo, and set the watts up to max along with tjmax etc for stability or exclude throttling issues when testing stability. I Didn't do any negative offsets because I don't know how they work just yet and how to do it on the gigabyte MB.

Problems: never stable and from all the videos I watched, I think I did enough manipulations to achieve something proper. Even while it would be stable my cinebench would be in the 1800s to very low 1900s.

Now when I reverted to stock, I would disable MCT, enable XMP, set a voltage, disable voltage optimization and even turbo boost etc and I would get a constant 8 core 4700mhz OC. This was supposed to be the function of a basic MCT enabling but I would get it disabled. Now having it enabled it just fluctuates all over the place and I don't know why or what I can do. Sometimes the voltages can be pretty high, the OC never seems to be predictable and I need help. I do wonder if there is some sort of learning behavior because the longer I have kept this set to "stock" with MCT enabled, the voltages appear a bit lower, my cinebench has been higher and temps quite acceptable given the "stock OC." 64 degrees on CPU doing a few benches and around 68 to 70 gaming (when both GPUs enabled...1 gpu lowers temps a bit).

Attached is after I just ram cinebench to show the 50x and voltages

Thanks for reading this, I know it was long but it is my first post, I know I am an idiot noob H forum member, so want to be as detailed as possible to help those that read though this.

Attachments

• infocapture.PNG
    infocapture.PNG
    228.4 KB · Views: 0
Try leaving the uncore multiplier on auto for kicks.

It's currently on auto as I have it all "stock" unless you mean go to overclock manually then set the uncore to auto?

A big question and problem for me and the lack of MB transparency is that there is no reason my CPU should be running at 4800 to 4900mhz on all cores with stock settings with XMP and MCT enabled. I especially shouldn't be having it with MCT disabled also! For my intended uses, outside of benchmarks and enjoyment of learning to overclock, I'd be fine with the i9 9900k performing as intel planned it to with 1 core at 50, and then cores at 49, 48 and 47. I know the Aorus Master has been lauded as one of the best and not doing any FSB manipulation but I cannot find anywhere people posting about this problem.

Update. So I played a game for a few hours last night. CPU package hit 69C peak. So temp isn't a throttling but I noticed the average clock speeds were around 4650 on all 8 which means it isn't holding even a 47x multiplier in that instance. Now I check this each time and this was the first time clocks were this low and I again think it's odd Gigabyte MB issues. If anyone has insight into why or even how I can set up a good stable OC by pointing some mistakes to the settings that I made in my first post that would be great. My goal is a stable voltage atm as this CPU is more than fine for what I am doing. So lowest stable voltage for either the stock intel functionality or 4800 to 4900mhz without being too much further than 1.30 volts. I personally think 1.275 is very reasonable and when I turn off all optimization settings (that I know of) I just don't get how this motherboard overvolts to up to 1.4 volts which is asinine. Thanks everyone.

Unsure what Gig calls it, but XMP sometimes changes BCLK from 100 to 125 and that'll cause some strange multipliers to pop up. I tend to avoid XMP as I don't like stuff like that. See if you can lock the BCLK in at 100 (if it's on Auto, that might be why the multiplier is moving around, too, not XMP).

As a n00b myself, LOL, just to cover the basics, you did unlock things like Short/Long Duration Power Limit, right? Otherwise your CPU won't be able to draw power beyond its listed TDP.

Back