very new to linux. Noob questions inside!

KnishofDeath

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi im running suse pro. 8.2

I have a few questions.....

My start up freezes in regular mode when loading the USB interface but
it dosent freeze at the same point when loading on safe settings. what could be causing this?

Also is there a good MP3 Jukebox program similar too Itunes for linux?
I know you can use winamp I just want to see what other options I have.

Also what is the easiest way to create desktop shortcuts of programs not listed in the menu bar?

Rhythmbox for Gnome is a pretty good media player, with a good music library system and the ability to access portable music players.

As far as what's causing your lockup - not sure. What device are you trying to use? Also, if it's a USB device that requires power, make sure that it has enough. I had a Flash linker for the GBA plugged in through a non-powered USB hub, and that caused both linux and windows problems.

kerrle said:
Rhythmbox for Gnome is a pretty good media player, with a good music library system and the ability to access portable music players.

As far as what's causing your lockup - not sure. What device are you trying to use? Also, if it's a USB device that requires power, make sure that it has enough. I had a Flash linker for the GBA plugged in through a non-powered USB hub, and that caused both linux and windows problems.

Thanx for the help. Actually its wierd I have no usb devices hooked up and it still locks up.
But only when its loading in graphical mode. If I load it under safe setttings and then login
and type startx everything starts up normally and its fine. Its wierd I dunno. thanx for the help.

It's possible that the startup script called by your login manager when you're in graphical mode is trying to start something that's failing. You can check /var/log/messages to see if there's any help there.

I haven't really touched Suse other than the LiveCD, so I can't offer much help as to where the X startup scripts would be; they vary a lot from distro to distro.

I LOVE n00b questions.

In Linux on Suse Pro 8.2, there are two things against you, for one the 2.4 kernel does not have nearly as good of linux support. If you switch to the 2.6 kernel, or a distro based on 2.6 I think you will get MUCH better results. Some distros are Fedora Core2, Mandrake 10, and Suse 9.1.

I second that Rhythmbox is very good as an itunes type app for Linux.

About question 3, this is Linux...and I find it's not so difficult to create a shortcut by the command line (assuming this is a symlink you are referring to) type : ln -s <type source file/directory here> <type shortcut name/directory here>

ie, if you want to make a desktop shortcut that points to your "Downloads" folder in your home directory, type : ln -s /home/whateveryourusernameis/Downloads/ /home/Desktop/Downloads

That would create a symlink (shortcut) to the Downloads folder, this works on files and devices as well.

that helps alot.
thank you very much.
I officially deleted windows from this computer.
Its a whole new game but I love the challenge.
Plus I was sick of the Microsoft bullshit

and dont forget about xmms for an amazing and very widely used winamp replacement

i think i will try rhythmbox when i get home; i have a gtk+ fetish... :eek: :D

since it wont load from the graphical point,
when I load it on safe settings and get to the prompt and login
what command can I use to change which GUI I load into?
RIght now I log in and type startx and it starts me in KDE.
how can I load into GNOME?
thanx in advance.

Back