Very low FPS after installing aftermarket cooler on GTX570

MaZa

2[H]4U
I have a very serious problem. I just installed AC Twin Turbo II on my Palit GTX570 (only aftermarket cooler that fits this card without modding btw), and now my graphics card is not working properly.

GPU usage during games is really low! I just started Serious Sam HD without Vsync and FPS was 10-20fps and GPU usage doesnt rise. It stays down mostly, just spikes up to 40% or something here and there. Only OCCT without artifact scanner manages to rise GPU usage high, but even there its spiking up and down between 96% and 35%.

I fear I have damaged my graphics card or something, but OCCT and games do not show any artifacting. :confused:

I suspect issues at power side. I had to use some glue to help to secure VRM sinks down, (thermal adhesive that comes with the cooler is still not secure enough even after 5 hour curing time) but its plastic based so I really doubt its shorting though I may be wrong.

Did you remember to plug the PCIe power cables back in?

Yes. Double checked them. Also reseated the card.

Though I will do it again, just in case.

*nope* Checked the cables again, this time on PSU end too, reinstalled drivers cleanly and the problem persists.

Last edited:
I don't see any temps mentioned yet. Sure the HSF is seated and cooling well?

Yes. So far it maxed out at 73C at 835 core and 1.013 volts. Huge improvement over the stock coolers 90C.

Okay, call me crazy but it seems like the problem has fixed itself. o_O I swear I did nothing special, just kept stress testing the card with OCCT and Minecraft in few minute bursts. Games run fine now and web videos no longer stutter and GPU usage at OCCT is stable at 97%. Everything is cool now, but it sure gave me a scare. AND trust issues, I really wonder what the hell was going on with the card and what happened that fixed it and can I still trust the card.

Last edited:
Did you re-install it in the same slot? If it moved around maybe it had to re-install drivers after you booted up. Then took a reboot to get everything going.

Yes. Because of my soundcard its the only slot I can fit it in.

Its possible that despite reseating twice the card it was simply still not properly inserted. The locking mechanism in that PCIe slot is broken in my mobo. Very unlikely explanation but only one that I can think off.

Might have just needed some burn in time? I've had stranger happen.

Could be, but I just wonder what because the card is roughly 6 months old. :D Thats what spooked me so, graphics card was working just great with nice overclock minus for the ungodly noise that stock cooler did (with really poor cooling performance too) so I swapped the damn thing and bam, card threw a hissy fit for few hours. Even flash videos on internet stuttered badly. Glad it wasnt permanent but what happend and why. This wasnt the first time I have installed an aftermarket cooler on graphics card and this has never happened before. Oh well...

Last edited:
Back