Very interesting quesiton for u guys

Octave

Gawd
Ok, so heres the problem: I have a monowall box at home (look it up if you want, but basically it handles the routing and firewall, packetshaping....ect)....ip 192.168.0.1.....it then runs to a gigabit switch with a WRT54G attached to it for wifi access....(its in WAP mode obviously).....and the clients are either wired or wireless...ect.....
all is well and good.
Well my roomate pissed me off so i wanna change the wifi password just to piss him off. So if i remember right i set the ip address of the WRT54G to 192.168.0.2 .......
well aparently im wrong.
So now its not even about pissing off my roomate, its about finding out what the hell my ip address is for my WAP. Any ideas?
Cause its not a gateway......ect....i dunno how to find it
I started pinging away, but nothin.
Any ideas?

You should be able to get any network scanner and scan the 192.168.0.x network. Whatever comes up...

Other than being rather childish about the password thing. . . you should be able to find out what the router's IP is by checking your default gateway.

Go to a command prompt and type in ipconfig(in Windows) ifconfig (in linux).

It should then display your current IP configuration.

The IP listed as the default gateway is what you are looking for.

The reason you may not be getting responses from the pings my be due to you having disabled ICMP traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICMP

FrothyByte said:
Other than being rather childish about the password thing. . . you should be able to find out what the router's IP is by checking your default gateway.

Go to a command prompt and type in ipconfig(in Windows) ifconfig (in linux).

It should then display your current IP configuration.

The IP listed as the default gateway is what you are looking for.

The reason you may not be getting responses from the pings my be due to you having disabled ICMP traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICMP

obviously u didnt get it, the 'router' is actually being used as a WAP, therefore it is NOT the default gateway...the monowall box is......hence why i cant get its ip address

feigned said:
You should be able to get any network scanner and scan the 192.168.0.x network. Whatever comes up...

could you please recommend one?

Strangely, I think you just asked me for your next hop address... Assuming you're connected wirelessly.

But then, the intricacies of trace route often elude me.

Disconnect the WAP from the network.
Reset the WAP
Plug in your computer
Reconfigure the WAP.
Reconnect to WAP to the network.

It's going to be much faster to do the above, then try to "find" the current IP address. One assumes the IP address is 192.168.0.x however if it is on a different subnet then no amount of scanning is going to help you find it.

feigned said:
As a WAP, this won't work. Think of it as an unmanaged wireless switch.

correct

Well i did the angry IP thingy, searched my ENTIRE subnet.....all i found was my cable modem...heh.....the monowall box, my laptop, my desktop, and my roomates computer. So although it boggles my mind, i guess im gonna have to concede and reset the damn router :(

Any further thoughts?
Do u think maybe i accidently set it to 192.168.0.1...the same as my monowall box, and thats why it cant find it?......or what.....i dunno what the hell is going on....whatever, time to reset.

Back