Very high temps after switching motherboards :/

FRZ

2[H]4U
So i replaced my asrock extreme4 MATX with a rampage iv gene. When I loaded windows, I saw that my cpu temps were 90c. I removed the motherboard and cpu fan, cleaned the cpu and heatsink, and reapplied thermal paste. After being sure to install the cooler correctly and securely, I put parts back in. This time temps on the CPU come out to around 78-80c. Still way too hot as before the motherboard switch it was 35-45c. Any thoughts?

CPU cooler is S524 Geminii cooler master and Proc is a 3930k

Thanks is advance :)

Maybe a voltage issue caused by a wonky bios? Have you tried updating it?

Other than that there's not much to narrow down. What else could cause a 50c increase other than voltage or improper mounting?

1) New board is overvolting at stock settings? (as suggested above).
2) Temperature sensor defective?
3) Asrock's revenge?

So bios was really old, updated but still seeing mid to high 70s Celsius. Im gonna reinstall windows when I get back home. I hope its not asrock revenge o_O

also quickly, what are normal volts I should be seeing?

1.2V more or less for stock speed(vary from chip to chip)... You did not mention if you are oc'ing, or what profile are you using in the BIOS, if you are on "asus high performance or asus optimum".. Your chip will be automatically oc'd and the voltage will receive a superbump, just check that....

ok so did a clean install of windows (Vcore is also always under 1.2 as well,) still no dice but here is the weird part. I installed all the ASUS utilities and the monitor software from Asus claims my cpu is under 40c. What I had been using was speedfan this whole time which was reporting temps between 70-80c. I'm not sure what to go by :/

You can try downloading the ultimatebootcd, buring the iso to the disk, and seeing what the temps will read (when you boot to the CD).

Last edited:
ok so did a clean install of windows (Vcore is also always under 1.2 as well,) still no dice but here is the weird part. I installed all the ASUS utilities and the monitor software from Asus claims my cpu is under 40c. What I had been using was speedfan this whole time which was reporting temps between 70-80c. I'm not sure what to go by :/

Do not use that program... Use coretemp or realtemp (both free)... For package temp you can use aida64 or Hwmonitor PRO (both paid but certainly pretty accurated readings).. I do not trust in speedfan.. Try with coretemp or realtemp and tell us the temps.. (Those the temps that really matters)

Also the ASUS software with the motherboard only measure the socket temp rather than the actual cpu temp so it will always show a lower temp than actual.

So I installed both realtemp and coretemp, both say my temps are in the 30s. Can I assume speedfan is just broken? I'm still a little scared :/

So I installed both realtemp and coretemp, both say my temps are in the 30s. Can I assume speedfan is just broken? I'm still a little scared :/

Speed fan its a big pile of crap... Do not trust it... You can 100% safe and secure with coretemp and realtemp are the best programs for measure temps, they took the readings in real time directly from the internal DTS (digital thermal sensor) of the CPU, so you can be relax.. Make some test with p95 and check max temps under heavy load, your idle are perfect..

Speed fan its a big pile of crap... Do not trust it... You can 100% safe and secure with coretemp and realtemp are the best programs for measure temps, they took the readings in real time directly from the internal DTS (digital thermal sensor) of the CPU, so you can be relax.. Make some test with p95 and check max temps under heavy load, your idle are perfect..

Running prime now, I chose the test which uses the most power and produces the most heat. So far I'm at around 70c full load on all cores. Going to give it an hour to see if it is Ok :)

Running prime now, I chose the test which uses the most power and produces the most heat. So far I'm at around 70c full load on all cores. Going to give it an hour to see if it is Ok :)

All perfectly fine, you are OK.. Enjoy your new mobo :).. You never had any trouble more than the speedfan bad readings...

Back