Very [H]ot! Acer Notebook from Walmart $348

wow that is a good deal. I wonder what the rest of the specs are. Hopefully not some core 2 solo lol.

Nice specs and Im looking to recommend a new machine for my dad, but not a 14". Ill wait to recommend a 15.4 or 17" (his eyes suck).

If it is the one posted by crispyb, be careful. It's rather thick, as this is the same chassis they use for some of their gaming-capable systems. Don;t expect it to be as portable as most laptops...

Hmm....I'm tempted. I don't have a notebook at the moment (I gave my old POS notebook to a friend) so picking up one cheap for doing work/browsing while on the go might be worthwhile.

I've seen Acers dogged on alot. I bought my wife one (cause the deal was really good) last year from Radio Shack.

It has been awesome. So far I can't say enough about the acer. Only cons are the speakers on this model are horrible. I added a gig of ram too. Oh and they come with ALOT of bloatware and adware. But once you get rid of all that junk its a great laptop. So far still going good :)

Oh and they come with ALOT of bloatware and adware. But once you get rid of all that junk its a great laptop.
What OEM system (HP/Dell/Gateway etc...) doesn't?
I won't "dog" on acer much, I will say they
A:Do wierd things like partition the HD in half
B: Have a lot of returns at the BBY I work at...

Confirmed sightings of specs, posted on Slickdeals:

Model AS5315-2153
Acer Aspire Celeron 530 (Merom)
80 GB HD
6.17 lbs.
15.4" WXGA widescreen
802.11b/g Wireless
1024 MB DDR2 RAM
DVD/CD combo drive
Windows Vista Basic
3 USB ports
960GML Chipset
Integrated Intel X3100 GMA graphics

Hmm....I'm tempted. I don't have a notebook at the moment (I gave my old POS notebook to a friend) so picking up one cheap for doing work/browsing while on the go might be worthwhile.

Same here. I'm planning on waiting another month for Black Friday though and snagging one from Best Buy. My brother picked up a Toshiba Satellite for $250 last year and the thing hasn't had any problems yet.

Same here. I'm planning on waiting another month for Black Friday though and snagging one from Best Buy. My brother picked up a Toshiba Satellite for $250 last year and the thing hasn't had any problems yet.
Or check out the Eee PC from asus. For the price you pay, the mobility of a 7" screen cannot be beat...

Or check out the Eee PC from asus. For the price you pay, the mobility of a 7" screen cannot be beat...

It's 10" LCD form factor still tiny, but roughly equal to a hardback book in size, a 7" form factor would be a mass market paperback. Still tiny, but not as small as the screen size would imply on its own.

Dell Vostro (The Business Laptop From Dell). You pick what you want installed. I love mine. 2gb of ram, a good vid card, good processor, all for 699 :) Can play Wow easily on this thing :)

The only software that will be on a current Dell machine besides windows, and software that relates to your hardware (such as roxio creator) if you set it up correctly on the configurator is the google toolbar and in some cases a minimum trial of 30-90 days of internet security.

And that's not a big deal, you have to either accept, or deny the terms of the software before you can use it, and if you deny, it automatically uninstalls itself.

microsoft works (but does no work), yahoo media player, internet dialup trial, all of that, are not installed anymore unless it is ordered that way.

Dell Vostro (The Business Laptop From Dell). You pick what you want installed. I love mine. 2gb of ram, a good vid card, good processor, all for 699 :) Can play Wow easily on this thing :)
That's a buuisiness laptop... different animal.

The only software that will be on a current Dell machine besides windows, and software that relates to your hardware (such as roxio creator) if you set it up correctly on the configurator is the google toolbar and in some cases a minimum trial of 30-90 days of internet security.

And that's not a big deal, you have to either accept, or deny the terms of the software before you can use it, and if you deny, it automatically uninstalls itself.

microsoft works (but does no work), yahoo media player, internet dialup trial, all of that, are not installed anymore unless it is ordered that way.
Not true at all. My little brother just got a Dell for school that i configured, and I told them to install as little as possible when I used the online config. Yea I got them to NOT install works, Norton/McAfee free trials, media players etc...
However, it still came with offers from AOL, earthlink etc, and some weird photo software that popped up every time an SD card was put in. Beyond the standard Vista icons (not including the vid card, sound etc icons of course), there were 7 additional tray icons present. Not as clean as I would have liked.

Not bad a deal for a Celeron laptop. The thing is people are going to be waiting(camping) in lines before stores open.

That's a buuisiness laptop... different animal.

Not true at all. My little brother just got a Dell for school that i configured, and I told them to install as little as possible when I used the online config. Yea I got them to NOT install works, Norton/McAfee free trials, media players etc...

This has not been true since the current Inspiron launch. But we can argue about it in a PM if you like.

I'll send you one to start!

It may be a celeron, but this thing is perfect for simple things like firefox, office, etc. If you need a cheap laptop to take to school this would be a great deal. If you accidentally break it, who cares, go buy another one. If I didn't just buy a laptop a few days ago, I would have been tempted to just go cheap and buy this one.

hmm if it can take a merom celeron, i take it that means the motherboard would be compatible with the pentium dc / c2d? i assume pdc's are pretty cheap and the dual core would be spectacular.

hmm if it can take a merom celeron, i take it that means the motherboard would be compatible with the pentium dc / c2d? i assume pdc's are pretty cheap and the dual core would be spectacular.
Unfortunately, a lot of these procs are soldered into the mobo and cannot be exchanged now adays. you would have to look into that....

Unfortunately, a lot of these procs are soldered into the mobo and cannot be exchanged now adays. you would have to look into that....

?! you have any proof of this? I've never heard of this before, except for cheap via c3's and the likes.

I've heard of the same thing happening with budget laptops , especially the models that were $299-400 deals @ CompUSA/BB.

Just picked mine up with a HD-DVD at the same time. I started it up just to take pics of the specs, and it didn't seem to sluggish, although I'm not all that sure how well Vista will chug along with only a gig of RAM.

Here are the specs-
Celery 530 @ 1.73 1mb L2
1 GB ddr2 @533
15.4 WXGA CrystalBrite
80GB
DVD-CD-RW
Windows Vista Basic

I'm hoping the Ebay sale will offset the cost of my HD-DVD. Which is running great BTW. Very happy with that.:D

Got the $299 Acer @ CompUSA this morning instead, didn't even have to wait in line! :D

Back