Very excited about Surface Pro 2

I don't know, I see the Pro as a very viable Air competitor. Faster CPU and better screen (by a mile), touch screen etc. I also think they were selling not to busienss users, but to corporate buyers. Instead of buying a user a tablet, laptop and a desktop, they can buy one unit.

I have no idea what they're doing with that $450 Surface RT tablet. Better off waiting for the ASUS T100 if you're settled on a cheaper Windows Tablet, grab a Nexus, or wait out the next iPad.

As for the Surface Pro 2, who is it even targeted at?

The ultrabook competitor? Priced evenly with the Macbook Air? Good luck with that Microsoft.

The business user maybe? Bring your tablet home or to work and use it as your desktop? Oh the dock's not out yet, and won't be for months after release.

It certainly isn't the gamer, and it definitely isn't the casual user.

This reeks of poor planning, again. Lenovo had a dock ready and targeted their user-base perfectly. Apple continues to make money hand over fist on the MBA and iPad.

well considering the iPad is priced at 600 for a 32gb, they are selling a 32gb tablet for 450 and that's an issue for you.... It's priced 150 dollars cheaper than the iPad.

As for the Surface Pro 2 it has a wacom digitizer, something, to my knowledge no other ultrabook or tablet has, especially not the Ipad, or MBA. If I wanted a MBA competitor I'd just buy a Thinkpad X1 Carbon, which I own actually.

Edit: well the Helix has a optional digitizer, so there's that, but the Pro 2 is cheaper.

well considering the iPad is priced at 600 for a 32gb, they are selling a 32gb tablet for 450 and that's an issue for you.... It's priced 150 dollars cheaper than the iPad.

As for the Surface Pro 2 it has a wacom digitizer, something, to my knowledge no other ultrabook or tablet has, especially not the Ipad, or MBA. If I wanted a MBA competitor I'd just buy a Thinkpad X1 Carbon, which I own actually.

Edit: well the Helix has a optional digitizer, so there's that, but the Pro 2 is cheaper.

Definitely agree with you on not understanding people getting bent out of shape on the price factor.

As far as active digitizer notebook/ultrabook/tablets, you can add the Thinkpad X220t and x230t as well as the new Thinkpad version of the Yoga.

I am amazed how anyone could not be excited about the Surface Pro 2. I am just not sure which model I want to order. Probably the 256, since I want to load it up with a lot of my lossless music files.

I feel like people here are blinded by their knowledge and enthusiasm.

I don't know, I see the Pro as a very viable Air competitor. Faster CPU and better screen (by a mile), touch screen etc. I also think they were selling not to busienss users, but to corporate buyers. Instead of buying a user a tablet, laptop and a desktop, they can buy one unit.

You truly believe the average person will buy a Surface Pro 2 over a Macbook Air in a Best Buy? That the business user will buy one over a Helix? No. This won't even get close to the 2013 MBA's initial sales numbers.

Business or corporate users aren't a viable target for them because there's no dock. "It's coming," isn't good enough when Lenovo already has products to choose from.

The casual user purchasing an iPad won't see 16 vs 32, they'll see iPad vs Surface. They may see the Nexus products when they already have an Android phone and get that. While we're talking about the Windows RT Surface in this context, either will be lucky to sell 10% of what the new iPad sells at release.

Exactly, you bought a Lenovo product instead of Microsoft's own hardware as you are a knowledgeable power user. That was the other half of my point. People aren't going to flock to this, they're still going to buy Lenovo or Apple.

And half the graphics performance and the same turbo speeds as the 4250 in the Air, no thanks. I was all set to replace my 2011 Air and iPad 3 with the Pro 2 but not now, why didn't they just use the same cpu?

I feel like people here are blinded by their knowledge and enthusiasm.

You truly believe the average person will buy a Surface Pro 2 over a Macbook Air in a Best Buy? That the business user will buy one over a Helix? No. This won't even get close to the 2013 MBA's initial sales numbers.

Business or corporate users aren't a viable target for them because there's no dock. "It's coming," isn't good enough when Lenovo already has products to choose from.
A: Yes. Some people dont want an OSX system, and the Surface pro is a viable alternative with some specific benefits over the Air. That said, there's no way in hell it will sell like an Air by the numbers.
B: All I said was that it is viable and that's who they are aiming towards. Doesn't meant there aren't better or more available alternatives.

Personally, I want a windows machine, and the helix base is atrocious. There is a Samsung that is pretty nice, but I had it for a few days and returned it becuase it got too damn hot. This one i think: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP900X3C-A04US
Also f'ing expensive in comparison.

So they come with HD 4400? Looks like I'm getting an Air instead. Need to eek out as much graphics power as possible to run Solidworks. Plus a tiny screen isn't really idea for CAD. I would love to have a wacom built into the screen though.

And half the graphics performance and the same turbo speeds as the 4250 in the Air, no thanks. I was all set to replace my 2011 Air and iPad 3 with the Pro 2 but not now, why didn't they just use the same cpu?

Not sure it's going to matter much at 11", but some people don't want an OSX system. Plus, there's the crappy screen on the Air and the touchscreen and stylus and tablet form factor of the surface. While competitors, they really are different products.

I suggest reading some reviews on the 4400 vs 5000. The HD 5000 is nowhere close to being twice as fast compared to a HD 4400 despite having the extra CUs in gaming.

A: Yes. Some people dont want an OSX system, and the Surface pro is a viable alternative with some specific benefits over the Air. That said, there's no way in hell it will sell like an Air by the numbers.
B: All I said was that it is viable and that's who they are aiming towards. Doesn't meant there aren't better or more available alternatives.

Personally, I want a windows machine, and the helix base is atrocious. There is a Samsung that is pretty nice, but I had it for a few days and returned it becuase it got too damn hot. This one i think: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP900X3C-A04US
Also f'ing expensive in comparison.

I can see that, it may get some numbers before the ASUS T100 hits stores. The average person will have a hard time with that price differential though, lol.

Agree, the helix base is ugly. Corporate buyers won't care though, it does it's job well.

I also am not a fan of Samsung laptops so I can mirror your experience. I feel the same about Sony's units. I've received great support from both Lenovo and Apple over the years.

That pretty much leaves.... the Surface Pro 2, lol. Sounds like it has your name on it, I guess. I wonder if ASUS will have a higher end product.

I can see that, it may get some numbers before the ASUS T100 hits stores. The average person will have a hard time with that price differential though, lol.

Agree, the helix base is ugly. Corporate buyers won't care though, it does it's job well.

I also am not a fan of Samsung laptops so I can mirror your experience. I feel the same about Sony's units. I've received great support from both Lenovo and Apple over the years.

That pretty much leaves.... the Surface Pro 2, lol. Sounds like it has your name on it, I guess. I wonder if ASUS will have a higher end product.
Alas, I have a nice shiny Yoga 11s. I do have an iPad Mini that is gathering some dust, and it has an accidental warranty on it... maybe I'll find out someone dropped it, return it and use the proceeds towards a Pro 2....
Yea... I'll be that guy, and Best Buy will take it.

Which raises an intereating question: which of these devices will be in stores? The Helix is not, but the last gen Samsung RT and Win8 tablets are. While they are nice, they don't hold up well next to the Surfaces. As for Asus, I don't remember seeing a Win8 (non RT) tablet in stores... maybe the new ones will be.

Not sure it's going to matter much at 11", but some people don't want an OSX system. Plus, there's the crappy screen on the Air and the touchscreen and stylus and tablet form factor of the surface. While competitors, they really are different products.

Then they're not really competitors if they're really different products. I like the idea of converging everything into one machine, dock it and have a desktop, keyboard for laptop use and then pure tablet mode, but I didn't expect them to use the lowest ULV i5 available, but then again, at least they didn't use an i3. I'll wait for the Haswell MBPr at this point to see what it offers.

I suggest reading some reviews on the 4400 vs 5000. The HD 5000 is nowhere close to being twice as fast compared to a HD 4400 despite having the extra CUs in gaming.

Doesn't need to be twice as fast, if I'm sitting on the couch playing a game, I'd rather have the 40 EU option not the 20 EU. I'm sure it doesn't matter to 99% of the people interested in the Surface Pro 2, but it does to me, I'm sure one less sale won't hurt them.

If those prices for the 256GB and 512GB SSD are just the ssd and ram upgrades those are a ripoff. If they include an upgrade to i7 then those are ok. If not they better include a power cover of some sort.

Well, nobody ever mentioned anything about an i7 variant. And I wouldn't count on a bundle with the power cover. But I guess we'll see!

Well, nobody ever mentioned anything about an i7 variant. And I wouldn't count on a bundle with the power cover. But I guess we'll see!

Yea I know no one mentioned an i7 variant but I am hoping they have one and as for the power cover bundle for surface pro 2 I would hope so or else the 512GB SSD model is a HUGE ripoff. Its making you pay 900 for the 512GB ssd thats double the going rate for an 512GB ssd and I am sure they are not paying consumer prices for them, it would also make us pay for double the going rate for a 8GB stick of ram. When you think about it that way the prices for the 256GB and 512GB with the ram upgrade are double charging people for it. Thats worse than Apple. They would definitely have to offer more than just a 512GB SSD and an extra 4GB of ram to justify the $1799 price tag which is two of the base Surface Pro 2. At that price tag I can get a Helix with an i7, 256GB SSD, 8GB of ram with the dock, or a vaio duo with at the same price. Both of the other choices have a keyboard and you dont have to pay extra.

Wouldn't putting in an i7... you know... reduce the battery life?...

Wouldn't putting in an i7... you know... reduce the battery life?...

I dont think it would by much, the i7 ULVs use very little energy and not much more than the i5s. I know with my Vaio Duo 11, the i5 version had identical battery life to the i7 version. Even if it did, the haswell chips are so efficient that it would not be more than 10-20 minutes. Specifically since given the same battery and a bigger screen on the Vaio duo 13 managed to eek out double the battery life as the older Vaio duo 11, which was 9:40 per engadget. I expect about 8:30 to 9:30 minutes for the Surface pro 2. I wouldnt mind 8hrs with a i7.

The ultrabook competitor? Priced evenly with the Macbook Air? Good luck with that Microsoft.

Except that the Surface Pro does a lot of things MBAs can't do. Yes there's a lot of overlap and then there are abilities unique to Pro.

This reeks of poor planning, again. Lenovo had a dock ready and targeted their user-base perfectly. Apple continues to make money hand over fist on the MBA and iPad.

Phones are were it is for Apple right now. Macs sales have been down three straight quarters and iPad sales took a big plunge last quarter. Yes, Apple is making plenty of money on these devices but these devices lines are actually shrinking at this moment.

Alas, I have a nice shiny Yoga 11s. I do have an iPad Mini that is gathering some dust, and it has an accidental warranty on it... maybe I'll find out someone dropped it, return it and use the proceeds towards a Pro 2....
Yea... I'll be that guy, and Best Buy will take it.

Which raises an intereating question: which of these devices will be in stores? The Helix is not, but the last gen Samsung RT and Win8 tablets are. While they are nice, they don't hold up well next to the Surfaces. As for Asus, I don't remember seeing a Win8 (non RT) tablet in stores... maybe the new ones will be.

It kinda sounds like tablets aren't your thing if you already have a Yoga and an Ipad and both collect dust. Do you basically want a Yoga without the keyboard?

Phones are were it is for Apple right now. Macs sales have been down three straight quarters and iPad sales took a big plunge last quarter. Yes, Apple is making plenty of money on these devices but these devices lines are actually shrinking at this moment.

Indeed, and Lenovo finally beat Dell and HP to the #1 spot almost breaking even where others lost. Rightfully so, their products are good.

Where are Microsoft's hardware sales by comparison though? Probably along the lines of the iPod Touch, maybe. I doubt they're up with the leftover iPad2 even.

Where are Microsoft's hardware sales by comparison though? Probably along the lines of the iPod Touch, maybe. I doubt they're up with the leftover iPad2 even.

Well they certainly are a huge tablet maker, though with Nokia's phone division they are about to become a big phone maker. Microsoft can't go head to head in brutal fashion with its PC OEMs right now as it still needs them. They really aren't trying to be like Apple in tablets. However with phones, where Microsoft doesn't have deep OEMs relationships I don't think they have any issue doing whatever, they really aren't going to piss anyone off with Windows Phones.

Keep in mind that compared to iOS that Windows RT 8.1 still takes up a huge chunk, in the end you'll have around 16gbs of usable space.

I think the biggest mistake MSFT is making is not including a touch cover with the devices. Surface is going to face an uphill battle and adding expensive accessories isn't going to make it more palatable. The Touch Cover 2 should be included with all devices with a $10-$20 upgrade for the Type Cover 2. The additional cost imho is a turn off when it's basically a required accessory.

Keep in mind that compared to iOS that Windows RT 8.1 still takes up a huge chunk, in the end you'll have around 16gbs of usable space.

I think the biggest mistake MSFT is making is not including a touch cover with the devices. Surface is going to face an uphill battle and adding expensive accessories isn't going to make it more palatable. The Touch Cover 2 should be included with all devices with a $10-$20 upgrade for the Type Cover 2. The additional cost imho is a turn off when it's basically a required accessory.

If a keyboard is a required accessory for a tablet, then you have to get one for you ipad as well, and a good keyboard can't cost nothing.

I get it you dislike the surface, not everyone feels the same way as you. If I were getting a tablet, it sure as hell wouldn't be a Ipad.

If a keyboard is a required accessory for a tablet, then you have to get one for you ipad as well, and a good keyboard can't cost nothing.

I get it you dislike the surface, not everyone feels the same way as you. If I were getting a tablet, it sure as hell wouldn't be a Ipad.

If you've seen any of the commercials or the way MSFT advertises Surface, you'd realize that the Touch/Type Covers are a huge part of the experience. The Surface isn't being sold as a tablet. It's being sold and marketed as a tablet/laptop convertible device. So even they are pushing the Touch/Type Covers as an essential accessory. That's not something Apple does because they don't consider a keyboard as part of the experience.

The Surface Pro 2 I'd be looking at is the 8/256 version which supposedly costs $1299. The 8/512 version will cost $1799. I'm sorry but if I'm spending money at either of those price points they shouldn't nickel and dime you for something that should be included.

And where did you get that I somehow dislike the Surface? Did I say that or did you just pull that out of your ass? For me, my next tablet/laptop is going to be a choice between either the Surface Pro 2 or a Haswell Yoga 11. I guess the difference between you and I is that I can have an intelligent conversation about something and not get so offended when something has a different opinion.

Surface is cheaper than iPad and you get nice perks like Skydrive and Skype. Apps are there for quite a few categories. It's never going to be as popular as iPad. Nothing will be.

What do you want MS to do? Exit the market? They already take a loss on an arguably better product with much more innovation. iOS 7 is a piece of crap according to even Apple fans yet it will sell millions due to sheep mentality. MS can't compete with that.

Keep in mind that compared to iOS that Windows RT 8.1 still takes up a huge chunk, in the end you'll have around 16gbs of usable space..

It's still more than iPad which has 14GB, NO expansion unlike sd card slot on Surface. And it's a $100 cheaper. I really don't get how this keeps coming up.

You can also reclaim more space by deleting recovery partition etc. And 200GB Sydrive. Need I go on?

iPad is a terrible value based on its specs, it's popularity is entirely due to Marketing which has resulted in a decent number of apps for it. For 99% of people, RT has enough apps without the junk.

Surface is cheaper than iPad and you get nice perks like Skydrive and Skype. Apps are there for quite a few categories. It's never going to be as popular as iPad. Nothing will be.

This is probably true however it's very possible that the total number of Windows 8/RT tablets, hybrids and convertibles could outsell iPads before too long. It would only take about 20% to 25% of all PC sales to fall into one of these categories for this to happen and now that full x86 Windows 8 tablets are coming into market in no more in price than the iPad Mini that 20% to 25% PC market share for these devices is certainly a reasonable expectation if not an inevitable one.

For such an appliance like device it would be surprising if they offered so many memory configurations. I would think they would do something like if you want 8GB it comes in the 256 and 512 GB version. It also might explain the price jump, nand should be $1 / GB max.

Surface pro 2 is targeted at people who want an all in one solution for everything they can do except the heavy gamers / serious photo editors etc.... I am not sure how pricing evenly with a MacBook air is even a problem given a MBA is just a very plain ultrabook, no touch screen, no pen, no tablet capabilities, nothing. I am not sure how some people are crazy enough to think that all of those functions should dock the price of the surface pro lol? Normally people pay more for increased functionality. If you think all those functions are worthless then why are you even discussing hybrid devices?

Skype on the iPad works just fine - someone I game with uses one. I don't know about Skydrive, but there's an app.

What do you want MS to do? Exit the market? They already take a loss on an arguably better product with much more innovation. iOS 7 is a piece of crap according to even Apple fans yet it will sell millions due to sheep mentality. MS can't compete with that.

Yes, MS is wasting time making hardware. This appears to be the two main sides to the argument.

This is probably true however it's very possible that the total number of Windows 8/RT tablets, hybrids and convertibles could outsell iPads before too long. It would only take about 20% to 25% of all PC sales to fall into one of these categories for this to happen and now that full x86 Windows 8 tablets are coming into market in no more in price than the iPad Mini that 20% to 25% PC market share for these devices is certainly a reasonable expectation if not an inevitable one.

No point including RT in those numbers at all, because of the cheap x86 Windows tablets coming. People buying an RT tablet instead of a $300-$400 x86 tablet are just ignorant. Bay trail's battery life is great.

This is what should happen once bay trail makes it out the door and OEMs start churning out cheaper Win8 x86 tablets. Assuming this happens though, I still don't think Microsoft's own hardware will be any significant part of this market.

They should drop that 64 GB sku on Pro 2 - it's pointless as Windows will occupy huge part of it.

Well thats disappointing. Cant even pre order the 512 GB version and the Power Cover isnt available for pre order either. So it will take MS a month to deliver the Surface Pro 2, it doesnt have an i7 version, its quite expensive compared to some of the alternatives, doesnt come bundled with type cover 2 if you need a keyboard on the surface 2 and want the power cover you are going to need to buy the Type cover 2 now and the Power cover when it comes out. This is the dumbest launch for a follow up product I have seen yet.

Looks like I will not be buying a surface pro 2 and I bought the surface pro and have been on the hybrid W8 train since it launched with a $1600 hybrid. Maybe I will revisit the Surface pro 2 when the power cover and dock are actually out.

Well thats disappointing. Cant even pre order the 512 GB version and the Power Cover isnt available for pre order either. So it will take MS a month to deliver the Surface Pro 2, it doesnt have an i7 version, its quite expensive compared to some of the alternatives, doesnt come bundled with type cover 2 if you need a keyboard on the surface 2 and want the power cover you are going to need to buy the Type cover 2 now and the Power cover when it comes out. This is the dumbest launch for a follow up product I have seen yet.

Looks like I will not be buying a surface pro 2 and I bought the surface pro and have been on the hybrid W8 train since it launched with a $1600 hybrid. Maybe I will revisit the Surface pro 2 when the power cover and dock are actually out.

I agree the lack of a power cover is pretty disappointing. :/

Interesting. There's a cover wireless adapter that wasn't mentioned in the event yesterday. Not quite sure that would be worth it, but interesting nonetheless.

No point including RT in those numbers at all, because of the cheap x86 Windows tablets coming. People buying an RT tablet instead of a $300-$400 x86 tablet are just ignorant. Bay trail's battery life is great.

This is what should happen once bay trail makes it out the door and OEMs start churning out cheaper Win8 x86 tablets. Assuming this happens though, I still don't think Microsoft's own hardware will be any significant part of this market.

I think there is a place for RT on cheaper devices. For a lot of people RT does everything they need and the Surface is a well built device. I'm personally not a big fan but not everyone needs to run desktop apps. I think that's the big appeal of Windows 8 tablets but it isn't necessary for everyone, particularly with access to Office.

As far as Surface not being a significant part of the Windows tablet market, I think it already is. Now that could change with Bay Trail and Microsoft at this time is avoiding that market probably to give OEMs some space. I think that some do forget though that part of the reason for Surface was to put some pressure on OEMs to make good hardware, and last year they didn't. But of course Intel hadn't come through with Bay Trail and Haswell at that time either so this isn't all on the OEMs. But it looks like OEMs have done a significantly better job this fall and pricing on Bay Trail devices looks very solid. So if the Surface had anything to do with that, and I think it much have had some effect on OEMs, Surface may have been successful in at least some of what it was meant to do.

This is the dumbest launch for a follow up product I have seen yet.

Really? Improving the battery life on the Pro was a MUST and it looks like that's not an issue anymore. Granted it would have been nice had all of the accessories been out, particularly the Power Cover for the Pro but much more important than that was getting a Haswell Pro out the door with improved batter life.

As for the Pro 2 being expensive, what else out there with comparable specs comes in any cheaper? These Haswells are not cheap and Intel doesn't seem to want to lower the prices and why would they? There's nothing out there that touches the performance of the thing.

Really? Improving the battery life on the Pro was a MUST and it looks like that's not an issue anymore. Granted it would have been nice had all of the accessories been out, particularly the Power Cover for the Pro but much more important than that was getting a Haswell Pro out the door with improved batter life.

As for the Pro 2 being expensive, what else out there with comparable specs comes in any cheaper? These Haswells are not cheap and Intel doesn't seem to want to lower the prices and why would they? There's nothing out there that touches the performance of the thing.

I didnt say it wasnt a good upgrade I said it was a terrible launch. The way MS handled it, why couldnt they have announced it closer to actual product launch? Why are the two most important accessories not even close to being released when they had a year to refresh things? As for cheaper your right there isnt much cheaper but considering that a Surface Pro 2 + type cover will cost you $1400 I would rather get a Sony Vaio Duo 13 with a better screen and way more ports if all they did was improve accuracy in the SP2 the Vaio Duo 13 will be better for me. What I am really looking for is i7, 256GB and 8GB maybe I am just miffed about MS not offering an i7 version and worse not having the power cover ready. I dont want to buy two keyboards.

anyone get an email confirmation on their pre-order yet? Been about an hour, and I have not

I didnt say it wasnt a good upgrade I said it was a terrible launch. The way MS handled it, why couldnt they have announced it closer to actual product launch? Why are the two most important accessories not even close to being released when they had a year to refresh things? As for cheaper your right there isnt much cheaper but considering that a Surface Pro 2 + type cover will cost you $1400 I would rather get a Sony Vaio Duo 13 with a better screen and way more ports if all they did was improve accuracy in the SP2 the Vaio Duo 13 will be better for me. What I am really looking for is i7, 256GB and 8GB maybe I am just miffed about MS not offering an i7 version and worse not having the power cover ready. I dont want to buy two keyboards.

My understanding is that the ULV i7's are dual core and that power increase is not much greater than the i5, especially when considering cost and battery consumption. Not sure I get the push for an i7. In that case, aren't you already better off going with something with a full voltage processor (like an x230t to get the wacom and "workstation" class power).

I completely agree with this. The power cover will likely be a great add on to the surface 2 pro yet you can't even but it yet. Buying a cover now to only have to buy the power one at a later point if you need to just drives the price higher. Not good thinking on M$'s part.

My understanding is that the ULV i7's are dual core and that power increase is not much greater than the i5, especially when considering cost and battery consumption. Not sure I get the push for an i7. In that case, aren't you already better off going with something with a full voltage processor (like an x230t to get the wacom and "workstation" class power).

The push for i7s is because I want as much power as possible, while still wanting the portability and flexibility of something like the Surface Pro 2. Plus the i7 allows me to get the HD5000 that performs better on higher res displays such and like you said the power usage is really marginal so why not get it?

Back