"Very Doubtful" Obsidian Will Make Another Fallout Game

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Those who enjoyed New Vegas and are wishing for another Obsidian-flavored trek through the wasteland are out of luck: a fan reached out to the developer on twitter this week about re-visiting the franchise but received only a “very doubtful” Magic 8-ball reading in response. The CEO did say he was keen on making a sequel, however.

It’s a busy time at Obsidian anyway, as the company is working on a new RPG under Take-Two’s Private Division label led by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, co-creators of Fallout. The studio took to Twitter in late 2017 to tease the project. And then, there’s the rumor Microsoft is ready to cut Obsidian a check and bring it into the fold.

I'd rather see Obsidian do an entry in the Wasteland series tbh. I could see Obsidian being able to tackle much darker themes in that series than they could with the current Fallout direction.

Fallout 3 and new Vegas had characters and places I felt emotionally invested in. Numbero quattro never rose to that level for me.

The Nick Valentine story arch was kind of neat, but that's about it. Very disappointing game. Lets hope they do better for the next ES. Of course Skyrim's main story was shit too.

hear me out- you dont actually want another new vegas game by obsidian

you just want another really good game by obsidian- it would benefit them to break free of the rote and stale fallout setting and take post-apocalypse somewhere different. they can start something new seen as a "spiritual successor". history repeats itself with these things:

demons souls -> dark souls
allied assault -> call of duty
diablo 2 -> torchlight
DotA -> LoL
AoE 2 -> Rise of Nations
etc...

BREAK FREE OF YOUR IP MAKE SOMETHING NEW !!! PLEASE ! !

After reading some of Chris Avellone's posts on Rpgcodex, it seems Obsidian needs a management flush. I'll try any game from their creative team.

I really liked new Vegas and the diffrent view it brought to the waste.

4 just seems like a bunch of rinse and repeat quests and some good content every now and then.

I have been tokd the dlc has the meat that fallout stee was missing and I'm not ready to shell out more to complete it :(

Fallout 3 and new Vegas had characters and places I felt emotionally invested in. Numbero quattro never rose to that level for me.

Same for me.

3 was great.
NV was even better.

4 was a boring grind-fest that I quit playing after 30 hours...much of that simply wandering around collecting shit to build stuff with in order to advance the storyline.

I realize why everything a grind fest these days; they want you to get tired of the crap, and pay $$$$$$.$$ to bypass all the grinding.

Back in the day, someone would make those games better by putting out a money hack or something, but that's illegal now; god help you if you mod their games without permission.

A few whales can make this business model work; it just sux that people will pay to win, there's no sense of accomplishment from that. Play Candy Crush, it's just as good. (I hear, from someone I never see now, lol.)

I've been replaying FarCry, FarCry2, FEAR and it's sequels, and Crysis and it's sequels.

They don't make games that good any more, and they had to take down GameSpy to keep us from ignoring all the new games, lol.

If we play together now, we either use a Vlan, or throw a lan party.

I enjoyed New Vegas - had a great time. I still need to play F3. I have it, but bought it after I had NV. It's in my Steam backlog. Hopefully someday...

Bethesda probably wouldn't allow it. But what is stopping them from paying for the license to use the Fallout and Skyrim engine for their own IP. They did it with Pillars of Eternity, which is a pretty damn good RPG with decent writing.

hear me out- you dont actually want another new vegas game by obsidian

you just want another really good game by obsidian- it would benefit them to break free of the rote and stale fallout setting and take post-apocalypse somewhere different. they can start something new seen as a "spiritual successor". history repeats itself with these things:

demons souls -> dark souls
allied assault -> call of duty
diablo 2 -> torchlight
DotA -> LoL
AoE 2 -> Rise of Nations
etc...

BREAK FREE OF YOUR IP MAKE SOMETHING NEW !!! PLEASE ! !
They made Alpha Protocol remember? A good game mostly ignored and panned by people.

I've been replaying FarCry, FarCry2, FEAR and it's sequels, and Crysis and it's sequels.

They don't make games that good any more, and they had to take down GameSpy to keep us from ignoring all the new games, lol.

If we play together now, we either use a Vlan, or throw a lan party.

Go give Titanfall 2 a whirl.

I know this is the sort of thing that can get a moron like me lynched, but...

DEATH TO THE FRANCHISES!

...I've been replaying ...

And you are not alone. 'Vintage' games are a palpable undertow that the elephant developers would like to be invisible because they have not figured out how to monetize them properly. Even Nintento that has been selling you the same MArio games Over and pver again for the last 20 years , haven' t truly understood and cultured the process. ( fun fact: when I first loaded W10, it instantly made UT2004 stop working. In that moment , if W10 was a human I would have ripped out it's throat and then beatien it's dying body to a paste , and would probably be in prison now ( or hanging out with McAfee somewhere ) )

Youngsters have started to look at retro games and more importantly the systems they ran on. Kids quickly realize that turning the system on popping in a game and instantly being able to play is a quite satisfying experience, and that with modern games they are actually on a leash ( on-line only , or always connected , or service dependent ) to an ever thinning gruel trough that is less and less appealing with every "new" iteration .

The fallout franchise is now entirely dependent on it's current player base which is in decline because they ( Bethesda) have taken out the core element that made fallout unique.

Let me re-iterate that : The fall-out franchise is doomed if it follows it's present course because new players are not attracted to another " me-too " vanilla experience with a fallout skin on it and existing fans find it less than satisfying or outright offensive ( in my steam review I called FO4; "oops, someone got some farmville in my call of fallout game" )

In My opinion ,FO3 was a good transition to 3-d space and FONV was a successful art-house take on the core of the FO hook with a nice gritty Noir/mad max feel thrown in ( though it did get a little mired near the end , but that I suspect is due to development cycle crunch time truncation) .

Could Obsidian do it again? I don't know enough about the current state of Obsidian, but if they are at the same mindset , the same start mode , that they were in at the inset of creating NV I'd bet they would at least produce something far superior to the color filtered oatmeal that Bethseda has been secreting ( like puss from an open wound; I am looking at you FO76 )

I think the thing these mega-corps forget as they chase after a 50 billion dollar game industry is that once upon a time PONG was fun to the point of being addictive. Just because Technology has radically changed it does not change the fundamental elements people find engaging.
To put that another way ; re-inventing the wheel as a square is not a new idea and has failed everytime it was ever tried.

Every single person at Bethseda should go back and play the original FO and understand why someone would put up with isometric 2-d 8-bit graphics for 30 or 40 ( or more ) hours .

And you are not alone. 'Vintage' games are a palpable undertow that the elephant developers would like to be invisible because they have not figured out how to monetize them properly. Even Nintento that has been selling you the same MArio games Over and pver again for the last 20 years , haven' t truly understood and cultured the process. ( fun fact: when I first loaded W10, it instantly made UT2004 stop working. In that moment , if W10 was a human I would have ripped out it's throat and then beatien it's dying body to a paste , and would probably be in prison now ( or hanging out with McAfee somewhere ) )

Youngsters have started to look at retro games and more importantly the systems they ran on. Kids quickly realize that turning the system on popping in a game and instantly being able to play is a quite satisfying experience, and that with modern games they are actually on a leash ( on-line only , or always connected , or service dependent ) to an ever thinning gruel trough that is less and less appealing with every "new" iteration .

The fallout franchise is now entirely dependent on it's current player base which is in decline because they ( Bethesda) have taken out the core element that made fallout unique.

Let me re-iterate that : The fall-out franchise is doomed if it follows it's present course because new players are not attracted to another " me-too " vanilla experience with a fallout skin on it and existing fans find it less than satisfying or outright offensive ( in my steam review I called FO4; "oops, someone got some farmville in my call of fallout game" )

In My opinion ,FO3 was a good transition to 3-d space and FONV was a successful art-house take on the core of the FO hook with a nice gritty Noir/mad max feel thrown in ( though it did get a little mired near the end , but that I suspect is due to development cycle crunch time truncation) .

Could Obsidian do it again? I don't know enough about the current state of Obsidian, but if they are at the same mindset , the same start mode , that they were in at the inset of creating NV I'd bet they would at least produce something far superior to the color filtered oatmeal that Bethseda has been secreting ( like puss from an open wound; I am looking at you FO76 )

I think the thing these mega-corps forget as they chase after a 50 billion dollar game industry is that once upon a time PONG was fun to the point of being addictive. Just because Technology has radically changed it does not change the fundamental elements people find engaging.
To put that another way ; re-inventing the wheel as a square is not a new idea and has failed everytime it was ever tried.

Every single person at Bethseda should go back and play the original FO and understand why someone would put up with isometric 2-d 8-bit graphics for 30 or 40 ( or more ) hours .

I would play a newer Fallout game in that isometric view if it played like Pillars of Eternity. I think that it would sell well too! I think that Obsidian is a good gaming company and sure some of their games are buggy but they have plenty of character.

The story and dialogue feel like it was made by a teenager. If it wasn't for the amazing game engine improvements that allow for nearly 1000 AI at once, I wouldn't even play it. But I feel dead inside while playing it, so it kinda cancels out.

The story and dialogue feel like it was made by a teenager. If it wasn't for the amazing game engine improvements that allow for nearly 1000 AI at once, I wouldn't even play it. But I feel dead inside while playing it, so it kinda cancels out.

I enjoyed Fallout 4. It wasn't the best in the series, but it wasn't a horrible game. The one thing I could have done without was the whole settlement thing and being encumbered by the junk needed to upgrade gear. My favorite was Fallout NV out of all the new games, and I still would like to play the older games sometime in the future.

I enjoyed Fallout 4. It wasn't the best in the series, but it wasn't a horrible game. The one thing I could have done without was the whole settlement thing and being encumbered by the junk needed to upgrade gear. My favorite was Fallout NV out of all the new games, and I still would like to play the older games sometime in the future.

I feel the same. I reinstalled Fallout 3 and NV and oh boy, they look OLD now. Just a 'simple' remastered version would be enough for me I think. It would be nice to play those games on the 64 bit engine and good 4k support. I feel the same way for Morrowind and Oblivion. I didn't enjoy Skyrim as much, but when the 64 bit engine rolled out, I was really impressed by the performance gains; especially with AI mods.

I personally would really enjoy a follow up to Tyranny, but that is looking unlikely to ever happen either.

I feel the same. I reinstalled Fallout 3 and NV and oh boy, they look OLD now. Just a 'simple' remastered version would be enough for me I think. It would be nice to play those games on the 64 bit engine and good 4k support. I feel the same way for Morrowind and Oblivion. I didn't enjoy Skyrim as much, but when the 64 bit engine rolled out, I was really impressed by the performance gains; especially with AI mods.

I played so much Skyrim that I never got the chance to play the new enhanced edition with the 64-bit engine. I couldn't imagine playing it anymore, but I think that I may give it another go for new mods. I too would love remastered Fallout 3 and NV, but if you play on a console, the 4k upgrade on Xbox One isn't too bad. Loved Oblivion but never played Morrowind but I'll get to it eventually.

I personally would really enjoy a follow up to Tyranny, but that is looking unlikely to ever happen either.

Was Tyranny any good? I remember hearing about it but never really followed up on the game. The premise looked interesting.

After playing through Fallout 4 three times I tried to go back and play Fallout Vegas. I really wanted to like it but not only were the graphics dated but the interface was terrible. It reminded me of Witcher 3 which everybody seems to love but was unplayable in my opinion.

Was Tyranny any good? I remember hearing about it but never really followed up on the game. The premise looked interesting.

I loved nearly everything about Tyranny, save for the abrupt ending. The combats were just the right amount of difficult, the spell system was very interesting (you crafted your spells from combining learned runes in different ways), the story and premise were beyond excellent, and the moral decisions you had to make in service of the Overlord were nuanced and interesting. I also found the companion characters to be very interesting, and I enjoyed how you could win their loyalty through fear and intimidation or genuine friendship. One of the few RPGs I have played where not only did the good guys have their own dirty laundry, the system had no problems with you going "full evil" in your game - as a matter of fact, it almost seemed expected. I personally found it fun to make decisions through the lens of balance of pragmatism during an active war with a sense of "these people will be subjects of the Overlord when this conquest is finished, and they need to respect and be treated fairly under the law like every other citizen of the glorious Empire."

The big problem with Tyranny was this: It had a typical Obsidian/Black Isle first act. It was full of quests, lore, and interesting things to do. The second act was a little thinner, but still satisfying. The third act was super short though. It felt like the team was told to wrap it up. They called it a "20 hour RPG" - I put over 40 in it doing all the side quests (which were uniformly excellent and relevant to the story). In short, it started out as a normal Obsidian deep RPG, and then suddenly... ended. It felt like they shipped 1/2 of a game. Naturally, this left the game wide open for a followup. I actually liked it more than Pillars of Eternity (and I really liked that one, too).

I REALLY WANT THE OTHER HALF OF THIS OTHERWISE AWESOME GAME!!

Last edited:
I loved nearly everything about Tyranny, save for the abrupt ending. The combats were just the right amount of difficult, the spell system was very interesting (you crafted your spells from combining learned runes in different ways), the story and premise were beyond excellent, and the moral decisions you had to make in service of the Overlord were nuanced and interesting. I also found the companion characters to be very interesting, and I enjoyed how you could win their loyalty through fear and intimidation or genuine friendship. One of the few RPGs I have played where not only did the good guys have their own dirty laundry, the system had no problems with you going "full evil" in your game - as a matter of fact, it almost seemed expected. I personally found it fun to make decisions through the lens of balance of pragmatism during an active war with a sense of "these people will be subjects of the Overlord when this conquest is finished, and they need to respect and be treated fairly under the law like every other citizen of the glorious Empire."

The big problem with Tyranny was this: It had a typical Obsidian/Black Isle first act. It was full of quests, lore, and interesting things to do. The second act was a little thinner, but still satisfying. The third act was super short though. It felt like the team was told to wrap it up. They called it a "20 hour RPG" - I put over 40 in it doing all the side quests (which were uniformly excellent and relevant to the story). In short, it started out as a normal Obsidian deep RPG, and then suddenly... ended. It felt like they shipped 1/2 of a game. Naturally, this left the game wide open for a followup. I actually liked it more than Pillars of Eternity (and I really liked that one, too).

I REALLY WANT THE OTHER HALF OF THIS OTHERWISE AWESOME GAME!!

Did they mention any DLC for Tyranny? Also, I purchased the game off of your glowing recommendation!

Did they mention any DLC for Tyranny? Also, I purchased the game off of your glowing recommendation!

The available DLC packs add a few more Act 2 and 3 Side quests and open up a new ending for Act 3 (though the new ending may just have been a patch that coincided with a DLC's introduction). They're not bad, but neither are they critical. They flesh out a few things a little more.

I would play a newer Fallout game in that isometric view if it played like Pillars of Eternity. I think that it would sell well too! I think that Obsidian is a good gaming company and sure some of their games are buggy but they have plenty of character.
While waiting for the New California servers to cool off a little bit I stumbled upon a post about :

Fallout 1.5 resurrection ( http://resurrection.cz/en/download/ ) , Have you played it ? ( it seems to be set between FO and FO2 ) , it might be exactly what you want ..

The story and dialogue feel like it was made by a teenager....

Agreed , though , I would add; " ...feel like it was made by a .." sheltered, pampered trophy for participation type " ...teenager...", ...

I , personally would not expect to find a lot , or even any of those types in the tough radioactive wasteland , unless they were food or slaves , but perhaps i am expecting far too much from the editors/creators and ceo's of these game companies.

In fact for FO4 I have (realtime) 9 days 6 hours and 51 minutes of game play time on my second attempt at playing through( first time I had over ten or twelve days i think ) and I have never even bothered to play the main quest farther than the entrance of the institute ( never entered the institute ) , And I never once felt compelled to follow pepper ( or what ever that 'reporter's name was ) , because after that horrid , long , and inane dialog to enter the stadium I actually wanted to shoot her and help her enemies...I would love to think perhaps that was the point but That's akin to huffin gasoline in a bag in todays market

On edit I should add that I searched and searched , and scavenged and scavenged and crafted and crafted the entire map twice but I never found a fallout game in there no matter how hard or long I looked.

Last edited:
Back