Very Disappointed with Thermaltake Products

i have a thermaltake slk 7 and im at 46.5c on a barton, and thats the best ive seen in a while (usually 55+).....wonderful fuckin product!

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Ah! Problem solved! I have ordered the XP-90 and a 90 mm fan from svc.com, should be here June 1. :(

Oh well, that's what happens when SVC is in San Jose, CA and I'm in Vidalia, GA and UPS ground is the fastest I can afford. *sigh*, why do they have to ship around the weekends? Ship on Saturday and Sunday, people!

I just did the samething but from jab-tech, My temps have been running 70c with load, I also question though weather or not I have a bad heat probe, But I also know the heat sink and fan on there now is an elcheapo one, So that could be it as well, Didnt think to much of my temps as I have not had any problems with the system since building it 6 months ago. I was suprised when I found out yesterday that max temp on my A64 3400+ is 70c :eek: , So I orderd up the XP-90 and a silent 92mm fan. I went with 2 day shipping and get it tomorrow, Was only $6 more as I wanted to make sure and get it before the long weekend.

ne0-reloaded said:
i have a thermaltake slk 7 and im at 46.5c on a barton, and thats the best ive seen in a while (usually 55+).....wonderful fuckin product!
Durr?

Thermaltake Spark 7?
Thermalright SLK-700?

perhaps he means the SK-7, a much older heatsink for us folks who don't get the chance to upgrade every few months :D

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Hi all, nothing new I know, but I just thought I'd relate the relative performance of my Thermaltake product. I bought, last Christmas, a Thermaltake Pipe101 and a 92mm Silent Cat fan to accompany it for my new 3.2 E. I read the reviews on Newegg, and supposedly it offered very good performance, keeping the processor in the mid-40s C. This is not so. After 6 months of use, even in the dead of winter, I have yet to see those temps drop below 49.5, with it 99% of the time being well over 50, like 54 or 55. It even reached a high of 57.6 Celcius today. I had to take apart my case anyway to remove my Audigy 2, since it decided to go haywire on me, but that's now resolved and it's working again. I got the beloved IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen, and a simple driver reinstall and remove/reinsert fixed it.

But, that's not the point. I paid $50 for that Thermaltake heatsink/fan unit, and its performance was despicable, not to mention it was incredibly hard to mount on my motherboard, even with it out of the case, and it cut me several times. Today I put on my Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4 Pro L, rated to cool a 3.2 Ghz processor. I used Arctic Silver 5, just like with the Pipe101, and Lo and Behold! My temps dropped down to 46 Celcius just like that. Now, I can look at overclocking a little bit, if my RAM will hold up.

So, I have observed that a $20 heatsink cools significantly better than a $50 heatsink, and that's in a Lian-Li case with very good overall airflow. I am thoroughly disappointed in the performance of my Thermaltake product, and I will not be buying any more unless some revolution comes around. As soon as I get some money, I'm buying either an XP 90 or 120, and then it won't really matter. Just thought I'd rant a bit.... :mad:

Comments, questions, flames?

The Pipe 101 is very succeptable to not getting proper core contact due to the fact that it's so top-heavy... also notorious for bending boards. Try laying the case on it's side to see if temperatures get better.

the T word you should be looking for is Thermalright, they are the shit

Thermaltake, cheesy stufff that looks nice

wow all the thermaltake haters :O !

my silent boost keeps my A64 3000+ OCed to 2.5ghz at 33 idle... (s939 btw)

im surprised al these people have ha dsuch bad luck with TT

[edit] and one of my friends is cooling his barton 3000+ (333) with a volcano 12 and hes got it OCed to like 2.6 at who knows how many volts and its perfectly fine, not sure of the temps but its cool for that clock speed :S

my silent boost keeps my A64 3000+ OCed to 2.5ghz at 33 idle... (s939 btw)
yeah? my 7000b-cu keeps my a64 3200+ at under 42C load (edit: @1.55v, 2.43ghz)

i just quit out of F@H to get idle temps, im sitting at 25C after about a minuite of letting the chip cool down. and this is at *almost* the lowest possible setting for the fan, so its moving a bit more air but still inaudiable. and i do mean inaudible - i cant hear it even when i try

and about the barton/v12. have him check his temps, i had the same exact combo at 2.5ghz and the temps were out of this world, like 55-60C load. the 7000b-cu dropped it by over 10-15C load, while being much quieter doing it.

O yah? my current silent boost and my a64 3200+ with a thermaltake smart fan 2 75cfm keeps my cpu @ 52ish load :) @ 2.2ghz 1.6volt. :rolleyes:

anyways, they are about to be replace by a xp-90 92mm coolermaster fan raated @ 30DBA @ 64cfm..or 68 i 4got.

aZn_plyR said:
O yah? my current silent boost and my a64 3200+ with a thermaltake smart fan 2 75cfm keeps my cpu @ 52ish load :) @ 2.2ghz 1.6volt. :rolleyes:
my load temps are with 1.55volts at 2.43ghz. this, of course, is with a winchester... sounds like you have a claw judging from the OC.

Damn...I really need that XP-90. I just used my AsusProbe program to monitor my temps during a CoD session. It resulted in a 64C load temp! That's not even right...

And UPS doesn't ship Saturday, Sunday, or Monday due to Memorial Day, so I'm out of luck until Tuesday! :(

Maybe it won't explode till then.

Dude don't use Asus Probe its temperatures are sketchy. I used to use it and every new version they realized reported different temperatures. About the Volcano 12 mine is running at 40 right now with the room temperature at a scorching 26 and case at 31. My CPU is a Barton overclocked to 2475mhz not that much but it's the highest I can go with this stupid motherboard.

EDIT: For all you Volcano owners try reversing the fan direction and having it suck through the fins instead of blow through them. Because of the very small distance between the fins sucking through them lowers the air turbulence and quieted my Volcano down. It also dropped temps 2-3 degrees.

darn_it said:
EDIT: For all you Volcano owners try reversing the fan direction and having it suck through the fins instead of blow through them. Because of the very small distance between the fins sucking through them lowers the air turbulence and quieted my Volcano down. It also dropped temps 2-3 degrees.
Yeah, this helps with the Volcano 9 I had on my 1800+
More Quiet, Cooler, and No dust build up on the fins.

lithium726 said:
my load temps are with 1.55volts at 2.43ghz. this, of course, is with a winchester... sounds like you have a claw judging from the OC.

well, since your old venice 12 is comparable to my silentboost, I guess tossing an xp-90 with a tornado would drop my temps a crapload eh?

Do you have any first hand experience to back that up? If you have a reason for saying that other than "everyones saying it" then tell us, if not then no one wants to hear your useless comments.

yup i sure do. their PSU's are like little ineffecient and extremely loud space heaters. even thier supposed "silent purepower", which is loud and has a terrible output inconsistency. thier cases are cheap feeling and have very imprecise build quality. poor ergonomics, terrible noise levels. so yeah, i have first hand experiene, and i can sum all of it up in one sentence: TT is almost always a knockoff of a decent or good brand; garbage, a waste of money, and cheesy plastic gimmicks.

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Damn...I really need that XP-90. I just used my AsusProbe program to monitor my temps during a CoD session. It resulted in a 64C load temp! That's not even right...

And UPS doesn't ship Saturday, Sunday, or Monday due to Memorial Day, so I'm out of luck until Tuesday! :(

Maybe it won't explode till then.

I wouldnt worry about it to much under load my computer was running 70c and it didnt blow up after 6 months of use this way, And I also use the Asus probe program and I think it is correct as in it seems to report the same as what the Bios is reporting, Weather or not Asus motherboards are giving the correct temp I cant say, would get some Artic silver 5 as well as I have found a difference after several sessions of turning my computer on and letting it cool down to where I am reading now 5c lower then when I first put it on, Although Im still idling high from what I see everyone else here idling at, Im idling at 52c right now, Before XP-90 and some artic silver I was idling at 60c. I ordered a different fan as well as I ordered a quiet Nexus which only runs at 1500rpm but it is quiet, I dont feel it pushes enough air, Crossing my fingers as reading though her no one likes ThermalTake anything but to late now I ordered a Thermaltake silent fan that runs at 2500rpm. I hope it works better then the complaints I read here about Thermaltake products.

The Silentcat 9cm is quiet but definitely not silent and probably not as quiet as your Nexus fan.

PureBooYah said:
back in the day i had a Volcano 7+ for my 2.4b P4...it ended up cooling the exact same as the stock intel heatsink i got with the cpu and the Tt heatsink was $40ish. That was the last time i would be a Tt product. Just upgraded my Thermalright SLK-948u w/ 92mm Tornado to a Thermalright XP-90C w/ 92mm Panaflo. Gave me the same oc for like 1/100th the noise :p ...Thermalright 4 lyfe :cool:

Crazy, my 7+ was fucking awesome. I put a perfect amount of arctic silver on and in winter my idle temps were about 25-30C on my xp 2600 at 2.2GHz at 1.7 volts. It was awesome until the piece of shit wire for the molex connector ripped out. I was pretty upset.. :(

bboynitrous said:
Crazy, my 7+ was fucking awesome. I put a perfect amount of arctic silver on and in winter my idle temps were about 25-30C on my xp 2600 at 2.2GHz at 1.7 volts. It was awesome until the piece of shit wire for the molex connector ripped out. I was pretty upset.. :(
Yeah, that heatsink is a quality piece of copper. I haven't used the stock fan on it for a long time but the heatsink is efficient. If you ever want to use that heatsink again, do as I did and get the Zalman fan bracket and use whatever fan you choose.

TT is almost always a knockoff of a decent or good brand; garbage, a waste of money, and cheesy plastic gimmicks.
You've had enough personal experience to justify a claim of 'almost always'?

Just for the tally, my Silent Purepower 480W has served me well for years. Solid.

i myself must agree that Tt has been terrible in my experience. I purchased a Tt to cool my athlon tbred way back...and it cooled worst than the stock hsf. Worst of all, my mobo would shutdown to prevent overheating unless I maxed out the RPM on the fan controller. This turned my comp into a 45db nightmare that I could hear 3 rooms down. Now, I only look for Thermalright + Zalman. Never again will I purchase a Tt. :eek:

anyone tried the thermaltake big typoon yet? a VERY good heatsink according to the folks @ extreme system....claiming higher overclocks than teh xp-90..

aZn_plyR said:
anyone tried the thermaltake big typoon yet? a VERY good heatsink according to the folks @ extreme system....claiming higher overclocks than teh xp-90..
That weighs three times as much and produces more noise thanks to Thermaltake's ignorance about backpressure.

They've got too much airflow through too small of an area.

RawsonDR said:
Just for the tally, my Silent Purepower 480W has served me well for years. Solid.
just for the tally, my silent purepower 480w blew up (surged the 5v) and took my neo2 with it (as well as causing HDD corruption), resulting in me waiting a month for MSI to fix my board. it also only ran "silent" when the fan controller is on the lowest possible setting, and when its at that point, the damn thing puts gets so hot im scared to run it. POS.

RawsonDR said:
Yeah, that heatsink is a quality piece of copper. I haven't used the stock fan on it for a long time but the heatsink is efficient. If you ever want to use that heatsink again, do as I did and get the Zalman fan bracket and use whatever fan you choose.

You've had enough personal experience to justify a claim of 'almost always'?

you've obviously never used a Zippy or Enermax or any GOOD PSU because that one you're making reference to is a huge piece of loud, hot running, inefficient crap with unstable rails. Try running anything power hungry that gets it near its ~65% effeciency limit! lol cheap ACBel PSU's have 80%+.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/systems/i_ms/beosound9000/beosound9000_600_1.jpg this has been around forever.

and look what TT's "imagination" has cooked up! just like a fake lamborghini, its all fluff and no substance... http://www.thermalrock.com/chassis/eclipse/menu.htm

oh what else have they ripped off lately? the Wave Master, the Stacker, and just about everything else they can from Antec to Zalmann.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
you've obviously never used a Zippy or Enermax or any GOOD PSU

Look in my sig. I'm using an Enermax. Before the Enermax, I used my Purepower for the same A64 setup. My overclock didn't increase at all after doing the change.

Everytime a thread like this gets started someone brings up the Bang Olufsen case. Yes, it's an obvious rip off. But who cares. Don't buy it. It doesn't say anything about the rest of their products. As I've all ready stated, their marketing is shameless.

Back