*** Very creative 6800GT cooling mods ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
philodox said:
It's thread crapping for him to say that he doesnt think this will work well and that you might be in danger of breaking components? I'd call that advice...

I agree- he asked for feedback and he's getting it. Please post pics when complete though- can't wait to see how it turns out.

philodox said:
It's thread crapping for him to say that he doesnt think this will work well and that you might be in danger of breaking components? I'd call that advice...

I think its cool that you are looking for a different way of doing it... variety is the spice of life... but I think he might have a point about this sink being too large ;)

I agree- he asked for feedback and he's getting it.

When someone DOES know what they're doing and has planned things through, and then someone comes along and calls it all a waste of time and money.....what would you call that? I'm not calling his little "advise" thread crapping.....I was referring to how he said it was un-needed overkill and that I shouldnt waste my time.....which wasn't even close to constructive critisicm. I appreciate peoples concern, but when they dont even try to sound like they're interested in helping me out I don't typically take it too long. He could have said exactly what he did but phrased it differently and I probly wouldnt have had a problem with it.....but the way he said it was that he was TELLING me what HE thought would happen.....and not what he thought would be more efficient or more effective for me.

This thread is/was in place to let you guys know what I'm gonna be up to, and for you to ask questions of ME about it.....not recommend that I "not do that" or that I "try something else" instead. If someone does have some usefull and constructive critisicm I will listen.....but not if it's phrased in the same sense as Epicenter's post was.....which was NOT the way to do it.

Again, I'm not attacking Epicenter, just the fact that the post was worded not as helpfull advice at all, and I felt like he was trying to talk down to me. If you're going to recommend or suggest that someone change something about a project they have their heart set on, I really suggest that you re-read your post afterwards and think about it as if you were the person it was directed at.....or at least make it clear in the post that you aren't trying to be too suggestive or critical.

kpedge said:
OK, ease up- I think most people in this thread think the idea is creative and will yield great results. I do wonder if the heatsink is too heavy and may cause stress to you videocard? What about using a lighter h/s with as many fins and air exposure?

Like this one?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-108&depa=0

Then you might get a better mix of features and results.

See, these are the kinds of posts that I have no problem with, because you're ASKING me what I think...not telling me what to do.

A note on the weight.....it won't be a problem.....I'm in the process of designing a custom brace setup for the card that'll make the amount of stress put on the PCB and AGP slot quite minimal.....but thx for the concern.

And.....umm......yeah.....there are a couple problems with using the Zalman, but thx for bringing it to light. One thing is that the base of the Zalman is not large enough to accomodate that backbrace on the 6800GT.....and any attempt to MAKE it fit the brace would only result in the stability/security of the mount come into question. Another thing is that because of the massive size of the cooler itself (I have the ALCU on my CPU actually) it would NOT fit on the card at all. If you were to center the 7000ALCU over the core, the fins wouldn't even come close to fitting, as the core isn't far enough out from the motherboard to give the heatsinks design enough clearance.

I just want you to all know that something is "in the works" to help cope with the weight of the SLK.....and not to bother recommending that I switch heatsinks, or that it's too heavy....cus it's under control.....trust me. ;)

Whole lotta crying going on in here. People gave their advice, get over it.

fallguy said:

What are you trying to prove with a remark like that? Instead of understanding anything or asking questions you decided to talk down to me like that and tell me to "get over it".....good one bud. :rolleyes:

I dont' know why ppl bother posting crap like that.....you're not helping anyone, and if you actually stop and think through what you just said, you're making yourself look VERY immature. I mean really, who are you to even say something like hat? Some of it was advice, some wasn't.....and you my friend have some of the lowest social skills I've seen around here for awhile, congrats.

what is with all the CAPITALIZATION... sheesh

anyways I can sort of understand where you are coming from... I posted about a PSU mod idea recently and got mostly negative responses at first... I just dont think there is any reason to get all worked up about it ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
When someone DOES know what they're doing and has planned things through, and then someone comes along and calls it all a waste of time and money.....what would you call that? I'm not calling his little "advise" thread crapping.....I was referring to how he said it was un-needed overkill and that I shouldnt waste my time.....which wasn't even close to constructive critisicm. I appreciate peoples concern, but when they dont even try to sound like they're interested in helping me out I don't typically take it too long. He could have said exactly what he did but phrased it differently and I probly wouldnt have had a problem with it.....but the way he said it was that he was TELLING me what HE thought would happen.....and not what he thought would be more efficient or more effective for me.

This thread is/was in place to let you guys know what I'm gonna be up to, and for you to ask questions of ME about it.....not recommend that I "not do that" or that I "try something else" instead. If someone does have some usefull and constructive critisicm I will listen.....but not if it's phrased in the same sense as Epicenter's post was.....which was NOT the way to do it.

Again, I'm not attacking Epicenter, just the fact that the post was worded not as helpfull advice at all, and I felt like he was trying to talk down to me. If you're going to recommend or suggest that someone change something about a project they have their heart set on, I really suggest that you re-read your post afterwards and think about it as if you were the person it was directed at.....or at least make it clear in the post that you aren't trying to be too suggestive or critical.
Listen, Cornelius, i will be the first to say that i respect you as a poster and i think you bring a lot and give a lot to this board. But you've got to be able to take constructive criticism. People dont' have to serve it to you buttered up by any means. Saying "i dont think this will work" is a very valid and USEFUL means of constructive criticism. You are getting way too defensive of the replies of other people, and SINCE you have your heart set on this project so much, you aren't even really letting the ideas and suggestions of others sink in. Someone once said "it is the mark of an intelligent man to be able to entertain another's ideas without accepting them." Just seeing the words and interpreting what they mean does not mean you're 'entertaining' the other posters' thoughts. It's just as 'immature' of you to "easily dismiss" other people's comments like that. Like mentioned before... you asked for questions/comments and you got 'em.

"He could have said exactly what he did but phrased it differently and I probly wouldnt have had a problem with it"
Which is exactly why we think you are overreacting. He didn't say anything controversial, you're just being way too defensive. Again, i'm not trying to attack you here. Truth be told, slapping a huge chunk of copper on the video card (IMO) is overkill. Just going bigger-and-[H]arder is not always the most "efficient and effective" solution.

I agree that our current run of video cards is getting boiling hot, but i don't think they warrant a top of the line CPU cooler. I think you could do just as well with a 1u copper cooler or other lighter and/or thinner solution. With that said it IS the [H] mentality to go huge or go home, and i respect that and either way this project goes i'll cheer you on.

fallguy said:
It's blunt, but true. I know you've got your heart set on this project, and i know you'll just do it regardless of what we say, but it takes a big man to be able to admit when he's wrong and/or accept other people's advice. Being stubborn is just as 'immature' as it were. As far as being 'talked down' to, get used to it man. This is an internet forum, and no one really cares about others' feelings. That's why the internet is so great. The anonymity ;D
And you're 19, man. I'm not going to play the age card, since there are wildly intelligent young people out there.. Hell, I'm 18, and i can say for a fact that we deserve our fair share of being talked-down to. However, Intelligence is NOT wisdom. We're young and dumb (experience > teenage theory), and i also think that at our age there is a lot to be learned, and you've got plenty of time.

Take a deep breath, and allow a little flexibility. You might be able to come out of this with a more viable and reasonable solution that is just as effective. Just my 2 cents. take it for what it's worth.

I'm sorry guys.....really, I am.

I dont know what it was, probly just that I was getting so caught up in the moment of having to alter things around and I got a litle diffensive.

Listen, Cornelius, i will be the first to say that i respect you as a poster and i think you bring a lot and give a lot to this board.

I thank you for coming forward and being honest like that, and now it's my turn to come forward and humble myself.....I'm sorry for acting the way I did, and I'm going to start trying a LOT more to live up to the reputation I've been building for myself.

The thing is that I have never really had the desire to get into the modding scene.....so I hadn't yet gotten used to having one person here or there saying stuff like "It's too big" or "it wont work" or whatever.

Again, no more of that out of me, and please continue to come forward with any thoughts you might ahve......as I WILL be getting started on this in 2 weeks when I get paid.

cornelious0_0 said:
What are you trying to prove with a remark like that? Instead of understanding anything or asking questions you decided to talk down to me like that and tell me to "get over it".....good one bud. :rolleyes:

I dont' know why ppl bother posting crap like that.....you're not helping anyone, and if you actually stop and think through what you just said, you're making yourself look VERY immature. I mean really, who are you to even say something like hat? Some of it was advice, some wasn't.....and you my friend have some of the lowest social skills I've seen around here for awhile, congrats.

Im not trying to "prove" anything. You're far too defensive. Anything that isnt positive, you want to bury your head in the sand and ignore it. People gave their opinions, and you didnt like it. Its not thread crapping, its called conversation. You're going to have to learn to take other peoples opinons, and advice without throwing a temper tantrum. You dont know everything.

fallguy said:
Im not trying to "prove" anything. You're far too defensive. Anything that isnt positive, you want to bury your head in the sand and ignore it. People gave their opinions, and you didnt like it. Its not thread crapping, its called conversation. You're going to have to learn to take other peoples opinons, and advice without throwing a temper tantrum. You dont know everything.

Holy crap guy, no kidding.....why do you actually have to go to the extent of saying stuff like "you dont know everything" when I JUST said I admitted to my faults and apologized? You may or may not have meant anything by it, but you just sounded REALLY rude right there, especially after I had just cleared the air as much as I could.

Indeed, thread does not deliver so far

You haven't really been paying attention have you? I've already said that I'm not getting to it right away and it'll be 2 weeks until I'll be able to afford to do the mods....yet you keep asking for pics?

No offense, but putting a CPU block and some ramsinks on a video card isnt exactly, "Very Creative"... Its been done for years. Or am I missing something?

fallguy said:
No offense, but putting a CPU block and some ramsinks on a video card isnt exactly, "Very Creative"... Its been done for years. Or am I missing something?

Good god man, if that isn't thread crapping then I dont know what is......give it a rest.

To say that something might not work is one thing.....but to shoot down the mod and ideas like that....i dunno what your problem is. I agree that saying something like "it might not work" or "the block looks to big" can be constructive critisicm.....but saying what you just said is NOT in any way constructive.....and I have no idea what you're trying to do or prove here by now shooting down the thread name.

This just goes to show that no matter how hard I try, there will always be people around here that know all to well how to be complete jerks towards me, and I have no problem with that at all. Fallguy, I hope you had your fun, because I'm getting the thread locked, and this topic will be dead until the mods are actually DONE.

But don't worry, I'm sure that there's some other aspiring modder who's thread you can shoot down just like you did to mine.....I have faith in you.

I didnt shoot down anything. You said "Very Creative".. so I asked if it was something other than a CPU heatsink on a GPU. Since its been done many times before, and isnt very creative. You really need a chill pill. :(

fallguy said:
I didnt shoot down anything. You said "Very Creative".. so I asked if it was something other than a CPU heatsink on a GPU. Since its been done many times before, and isnt very creative. You really need a chill pill. :(

I really wouldn't call that "asking" but whatever man......believe what you want. I originally called the thread what I did because I had yet to see an SLK monster bolted to a 6800.....so I thought it'd be good enough to pass as a creative mod.....but i guess its just not good enough for you....whatever. I dont need to calm down, you need to learn how to put yourself in the other persons shoes and listen to what you're saying, because you've been far from pleasent so far, and yet you dont seem to have a problem with it.....

You have some things you need to work out with yourself in order to come across as a more learned individual in conversation sometimes, but other then that I really have nothing more to say to you. Keep posting if you want, but I'm getting the thread locked tomorrow.....so just like the rest of all this.....it'll all be for nothing.

Darth_Fluffy said:
Well, why start a thread weeks before you even get to it?

Read back a little bit dude, I was originally gonna be using cash from this paycheque I just recieved yesterday to buy the mod supplies.....but things ended up changing since then.....my new mobo takes priority over the cooling mods, and so they're being pushed back. So you see, the thread WAS going to be right on track.....but now this i jsut going nowhere....and yeah, lockage tomorrow....no point to keep this up.

I still say it would be better to just mod an already existing cooling solution, rather than retrofit a CPU heatsink.. but whatever floats your boat. And good luck.

Darth_Fluffy said:
I still say it would be better to just mod an already existing cooling solution, rather than retrofit a CPU heatsink.. but whatever floats your boat. And good luck.

Doing a custom fab on the memory block and drilling into teh SLK to get it mounted is gonna be WAY more fun and IS going to pay off more then just moddifying something I can go buy that's made for the card. I'm doing this for the experience, and for the brute force look that the card is going to have once its all done. Nobody looks at a modded Zalman cooler or a modded NVSilencer and say "Holy shit".....but they're mouths are gonna hit the floor when they see my 6cm tall cooler on the GPU, and the custom/beefed up memory "big block".

I'm still putting in an order for the NVSilencer in the next few days though, so I will be posting up my results with that thing compared to my card now.....at both 1.3v and 1.4v.

Until then though there won't be anything else much going on.

You will get a little oc'ing out of the cooler temp... But in actuality, GT is greatly handicapped due to its power circuit more so than anything else... (had 2 different brand GT and both had same hard stoppage around certain v-core mod...) In restrospect the ultra didn't sound too bad when it was shortly available for $500ish...

It's going to be quite hard to fit that SLK to the GPU. You can't drill holes in the bottom to attach it Either. I would use the mounting of an already existing cooler, such as the nvSilencer and stick whatever on top to make it better..

Darth_Fluffy said:
It's going to be quite hard to fit that SLK to the GPU. You can't drill holes in the bottom to attach it Either. I would use the mounting of an already existing cooler, such as the nvSilencer and stick whatever on top to make it better..

Explain why I can't/couldn't drill holes in the SLK to mount it.

But in actuality, GT is greatly handicapped due to its power circuit more so than anything else

I've already got my voltage bumped up to Ultra levels, so its overclocking already quite a bit better. I have the ability to bump it up to 1.5v if teh cooling is suffecient also....so I'm not worried about power holdups at this point.

Well, due to the way the bottom of that heatsink is shaped (yes I own one) you can't really fit it horizonally or vertically on a GT, as the holes are around the corners of the chip. You could mount it diagonally, but I beleive You'd have to have a hole in your motherboard to accomodate the heatsink then, hehehe :D.

Either way, I'm more interested in how you can adjust voltage on a GT, and what brand of GT is it?

Darth_Fluffy said:
Well, due to the way the bottom of that heatsink is shaped (yes I own one) you can't really fit it horizonally or vertically on a GT, as the holes are around the corners of the chip. You could mount it diagonally, but I beleive You'd have to have a hole in your motherboard to accomodate the heatsink then, hehehe :D.

Either way, I'm more interested in how you can adjust voltage on a GT, and what brand of GT is it?

I've had the thread up for a little while now actually.

I'm glad to see this thread turning back in the right direction, can we keep it clean and constructive from here on out please?

I am also anxious to see this project through to completion. Corny, any further comments on how you plan to brace the card?

Darth_Fluffy said:
♥♥♥♥

Heh, I'll take that as a good thing......your welcome.....let me know if you're another one of my peeps around here I was able to help out.....I love the rush of overclocking and modding, which is kind of why I was taking this a little TOO seriously earlier.

I had done a little bit of measuring and from what I could see, the SLK wasn't going to have any clearance issues with components on the card.....and I had seen that the dimmensions of the base are actually large enough to "accept" the measurements of the holes required to mount it on the backplate of the card. I realise that it's not going to be an easy task, but if I can get this to work I think it'll really pay off. Wether or not I really do gain that much more out of my overclock is irrelevant....because I'm moreso doing this just to show myself that I can....and because I think that it'll be one badass lookin' card when I'm done.

I'm glad to see this thread turning back in the right direction, can we keep it clean and constructive from here on out please?

For sure, I've realised the error of my ways, and I'm willing to be much more open minded from here on in. I just want people to realise that it is going to be at least 2 weeks now (because of recent cash constraints) before I'll be able to get to work on this puppy.

Corny, any further comments on how you plan to brace the card?

Nothing further right now.....I'm working on a design for a brace to help sustain the weight of the cards new found friend. ;) If it really comes down to the point where I have to ditch the SLK I'll start exploring other options, but i dont want it to come to that.

I just thought of something guys....would it really hurt to just buy the SLK and place it on the card myself to just see how things would be? I mean, the worst case scenario is that if it didn't work i COULD just pick up a 92mm Panaflo or whatever and replace my Zalman 7000ALCU and upgrade THAT cooling. :p

I'm actually VERY interested in trying out the NVSilencer now as a temporary solution.....just to see how the exhaust system helps to lower my case/cpu temps.

I imagine you could solder the fins from the SLK to the mounting plate of the silencer. You'd need a torch of course, but those aren't hard to come by :)

Darth_Fluffy said:
I imagine you could solder the fins from the SLK to the mounting plate of the silencer. You'd need a torch of course, but those aren't hard to come by :)

Very nice idea dude......dunno why I never thought of that. :p

Maybe it's best that I start with the Silencer either way then.....and things can be adapted from there. I was just looking back at the SLK again and I think I understand now about teh size....the dimmensions are for that thinner plate on the base of the SLK which no, i would not be able to really drill holes into/through for the mounting.

Ah well, NV Silencer first then, and we'll see where things go from there.

I've been trying to say that all along! Bah, I'm not good with words :(

Also, if you do decide to solder large surfaces in the future, there's a trick for it. First of all, don't use the regular, canifolium(sp?) flux. That stuff sucks. You have to use acid paste flux, and you have to cover both surfaces with solder slightly. Then you put one on top of another, and heat for great justice! That seems to work best.

Darth_Fluffy said:
I've been trying to say that all along! Bah, I'm not good with words :(

Also, if you do decide to solder large surfaces in the future, there's a trick for it. First of all, don't use the regular, canifolium(sp?) flux. That stuff sucks. You have to use acid paste flux, and you have to cover both surfaces with solder slightly. Then you put one on top of another, and heat for great justice! That seems to work best.

I'm not the best at explaining things myself sometimes so it's alright.

Thx for the info/advice on the flux.....I'll still have to explore some more possibilities, but for now I'm concentrating on picking up my new mobo in the next 10 days before the LAN I'm going to.....looks like I'll be grabbing a MAX3 for VERY cheap.....which is what I originally wanted, but wasn't going to be able to afford new. The one I'm buying also have the vdimm mod done to it so my memory voltage won't be fluxing like mad, which is nice to know.

I'll have updates on the mobo in another thread as soon as I've got my hands on it, but tha'ts it for news for now.

cornelious0_0 said:
I've already got my voltage bumped up to Ultra levels, so its overclocking already quite a bit better. I have the ability to bump it up to 1.5v if teh cooling is suffecient also....so I'm not worried about power holdups at this point.

Have you tried volt modding it? I have. You gain absoultely nothing after 1.4v. Nada. zilch, nothing. Why? Because the PWM is not able to handle more power than that. 1.5v without volt modding on GT is impossible. Bios mod only allows up to 1.4v on GT. Check the v-core measure point before you rebuke me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back