very confused -- Color Management & Color Space questions

rastaban

Gawd
I have a Spyder5Pro that I used to calibrate my Dell U2410 (purchased here!) but I'm having some trouble getting the colors to look uniform across programs.
For reference, the calibrated profile covers 100% sRGB and 98% AdobeRGB

For a RAW file that has been processed in Lightroom CC (ProPhoto working space) and exported with sRGB color space........
- colors look the same between LR and Photoshop CC (Adobe RGB working space)
- colors look more saturated/vibrant in both Faststone Image Viewer 5.6 and Windows Photo Viewer vs LR/PS
- CMS on/off in Faststone makes no difference
- Windows Photo Viewer appears to lack a lot of detail

screenshot:
t2dAJUX.jpg

- So what the heck is going on?
- I have not touched anything in Windows Color Management so the options in there are all set to default. Should I be changing something in there to my custom monitor profile created by Spyder?
- I read that Faststone is not monitor profile aware so please throw out any recommendations on better photo viewers (edit: upgraded to latest version 5.7 and same results)

Last edited:
Update:
I installed a trial of FastPictureViewer and the default colors are the same as Windows Photo Viewer and Faststone. HOWEVER, after changing the custom monitor profile in FPV to the one created by Spyder, the colors match LR/PS!

Am I doing this right?

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the subject, but this is what I was told/had to do to get windows to use a color profile on the desktop and in Windows photo viewer:

1. Go to Windows Color Management control panel, go to the advanced tab.
2. Click on "Change system defaults...", a new page/control panel will open, go to the advanced tab on this new page/control panel.
3. Check the box that says "Use Windows display calibration". Then click the close button.
4. On the first Color Management control panel, go back to the devices tab, select your monitor in the drop down list, check the box that says "Use my settings for this device".
5. If there is more than one profile listed, you might have to choose the desired profile from the list below and click "Set as Default Profile".

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the subject, but this is what I was told/had to do to get windows to use a color profile on the desktop and in Windows photo viewer:

1. Go to Windows Color Management control panel, go to the advanced tab.
2. Click on "Change system defaults...", a new page/control panel will open, go to the advanced tab on this new page/control panel.
3. Check the box that says "Use Windows display calibration". Then click the close button.
4. On the first Color Management control panel, go back to the devices tab, select your monitor in the drop down list, check the box that says "Use my settings for this device".
5. If there is more than one profile listed, you might have to choose the desired profile from the list below and click "Set as Default Profile".

Thanks, I tried to do this but the settings you mentioned were already configured that way (probably automatically done by Spyder). There doesn't seem to be many color managed photo viewers out there. FastPictureViewer is quite pricey so I will try out Adobe Bridge CC first (didn't bother installing it the first time around)

Turns out Bridge has no windowed view so won't do any good as a simple photo viewer. Will have to keep looking for a free or inexpensive solution.

Back