very bad, no good, rotten day

mashtub651

Limp Gawd
In my haste to finally complete my 4p (big thanks to Musky), I dropped a chip and bent a few pins in the socket. Does anyone have any experience fixing this or do I have to ship it off to be fixed?

Untitled by maverick651, on Flickr

Try using the "Razor blade" technique, its what ive done to fix bent pins in the past.

Same. Steady hand and patience. Hopefully you can get it.

i should probably clarify for those that dont know:

Use a razor blade, or somethign similarly thin, to straighten the pins back out,

From there you well as said use a steady hand to make sure you dont mess any others up :D

Just do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty of resources on how to fix the issue. I would also use the razor blade method if things aren't too bad. If you can send it back at no cost and you're in no hurry then I'd send it back but by the sound of it, you want this baby purring asap. Good Luck!

Whell whell whell you pulled a Grandpa. I did that very same thing on one of my G34 4P's a while back hopefully you have a steadyer hand than I do. I tried to no avail to straighten out about 20 pins every time I thought I had it when I put the CPU baack in some of them were not allighned perfectley and I would get HT retries. I finnaly gave up and called SuperMicro and talked to one of the service reps. When the asked what the problem was I told them what I had done and they said that was not covered under warranty. I told them I know that and asked them if they could put a new socket on it he said yes I asked how much and they said $50.

Just a piece of advice, $50 +shipping 1 way is nothing compared to the amount of time and frustration I experienced trying to fix those damn pins. It did take about a month to get the board back from them but that board is still running to this day. I wasted 2 weeks trying to straighten those pins out to no avail. Hopefully you did not bend as many as I did but if you did I would give SM a call and ship it off to them. :)

I feel your pain...
sometimes they can be repaired other times you have to send them off to replace the socket... GL.

SM will fix them for $35 a socket. Sucks ass, but not the end of the world.

Back