Very bad load temps on e4400

SBB

Limp Gawd
I upgraded my friends pc with an ATI 5770 graphics card, and he only had an e4400 CPU and didnt have enough money to upgrade, so I overclocked it to 3ghz.

Problem is, the load temps were really bad, 60c idle, sometimes up to 90c when testing in intelburntest so I had a look at the HSF (intel stock one), and it wasnt mounted properly. So I mounted it correctly, but the temps still werent great (80c load, 40c idle).

He got an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Rev 2, installed it, but the temps arent much better. Load temp with the cpu 3ghz @ 1.4v is 85c. I'm pretty sure the hsf is installed properly, I tightened it up a bit but it made no difference. Fan management on the board is turned off and his case has alright air flow, 3 fans in there.

Specs are:

Intel e4400 @ 3ghz 1.4v
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 hsf
Asus P5q mobo
ATI 5770 gpu
4gb corsair ddr2
Antec 500w psu
Antec nsk4000 case
1x 120mm fan + 2x 92mm fans

Something i'm missing? Want to get this sorted as his cpu is a major bottleneck at stock speeds :(

Cheers in advance
Ben

Too much or too little heat sink compound?

Did you apply about 1/2 pea sized amount?

Also are you reading the temps with coretemp or some other program that measures the cpu die temp?

Measured using CoreTemp

Will check thermal compound

Do you really need 1.4V to reach 3GHz ? It could be you do but I would investigate lower Vcores values that still maintain stability.

The AC-7 is likely running in pwm motherboard control mode so it will trade off some fan speed for low noise under normal motherboard settings. 80C with IBT sounds about right, and it would not bother me a bit with the system/circumstances you indicate. Force it to 100% speed and the temps should go down drastically, not sure if you want to deal with the increased noise all the time.

From what I am seeing on the net there is only an 80mm front fan. First thing I would do is pop the front panel off and cut out the fan grill so it could breath a little better.

Second thing would be to get a motherboard mounted "beeper" type speaker so I could use the area above the existing lower front fan and go again with the avaiation snips or a nibbler tool and see if I could not get a 120mm fan mounted in the lower front.

Unfortunately the easy solution, a bay cooler shooting room air right at the cpu heatsink does not look possbile due to the upper tray like area and the arrangement of the drive bays.

Mechanical Drawing of case for others to offer suggestions.
http://www.antec.com/pdf/drawings/NSK4480_manual_mechdrawing.pdf

Yeah, unfortunately it needs 1.4v, its not a brilliant clocker. I reduced it to 1.385v and it wasnt prime stable :(

I'll check the PWM stuff out, see if he can hook the fan up to another header.

Back