Vertex Frist Impressions

You can add my name to that list, lol.

Actually, I do have some but they're of no use since I'm about 3000 miles away from my house. I only have my laptop with me... with a brand spanking new Vertex that I can't flash the latest firmware to because I didn't bring any jumpers.

I ordered some via eBay so I should be getting them in a few days.

Man, I hate this waiting game.

Lesson to be learned is:

Jumpers, don't leave home without them.

You don't have anything to improvise with?

Dang.. I would have shipped you one for free.

Well, if it happens again you will be first to know! :D

You don't have anything to improvise with?

I thought about acquiring a small wire but I decided to go with the safer method in the end. Although the chance of shorting anything is probably next to nil, I'm not very confident in my ability to manufacture a tiny homemade shunt that will actually work without destroying my precioussss 120GB Vertex.

Bought a pack of 12 for $3.50 with shipping, so it really didn't hurt the wallet. Maybe I'll sell the remaining jumpers on eBay. :)

Now the waiting part... sucks hairy monkey balls.

I thought about acquiring a small wire but I decided to go with the safer method in the end. Although the chance of shorting anything is probably next to nil, I'm not very confident in my ability to manufacture a tiny homemade shunt that will actually work without destroying my precioussss 120GB Vertex.

Bought a pack of 12 for $3.50 with shipping, so it really didn't hurt the wallet. Maybe I'll sell the remaining jumpers on eBay. :)

Have any old CD drives laying around? they should have jumpers also. You can even borrow one from a machine. Some old motherboards have jumpers like CMOS clear etc you can borrow from.

Have any old CD drives laying around? they should have jumpers also. You can even borrow one from a machine. Some old motherboards have jumpers like CMOS clear etc you can borrow from.

I looked at all of the hdd that I packed with me. None have any jumpers on them. Since I'm away from my house, I'm limited to what I brought with me... which is not much.

The jumpers I've purchased online has already shipped and I ordered this morning! I received confirmation from seller at 1 PM(ET) today. Fast eBay shippers rock.

I looked at all of the hdd that I packed with me. None have any jumpers on them. Since I'm away from my house, I'm limited to what I brought with me... which is not much.

The jumpers I've purchased online has already shipped and I ordered this morning! I received confirmation from seller at 1 PM(ET) today. Fast eBay shippers rock.

Now you just play the waiting game.

honestly you probably could have gone into any privately owned pc repair shop and asked them for a few, they probably would have given you them for free or for $1 or something

[IG]http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh376/mortimer4hire/Vertex_1275.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh376/mortimer4hire/Vertex_1199.jpg[/IMG]
Shipping firmware
[IG]http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh376/mortimer4hire/vertex3_Tweaked.jpg[/IMG]
Wow. Looking at that I really would rather have the shipping firmware. That small file read loss is just pathetic.

honestly you probably could have gone into any privately owned pc repair shop and asked them for a few, they probably would have given you them for free or for $1 or something

True. The only problem is I'm not at all familiar with the area I'm currently at and my mode of transportation right now is a bicycle. Don't feel like renting a car just to get a single shunt. The closest store with any electronics is 3 miles away and they don't carry any jumpers.

The jumpers I ordered should get here within 2-3 days...

OK, here are benches of the Intel X-25M for comparison (just unboxed and aligned) Completly destroys the vertex in 4k writes like Anand said. Vertex is still plenty fast and I think that it is cool we have options! The drives are not as far apart as I thought.
intel_x25M_aligned.jpg

Vertex 1275
Vertex_1275.jpg

OK, here are benches of the Intel X-25M for comparison (just unboxed and aligned) Completly destroys the vertex in 4k writes like Anand said. Vertex is still plenty fast and I think that it is cool we have options! The drives are not as far apart as I thought.
intel_x25M_aligned.jpg

Vertex 1275
Vertex_1275.jpg

Your seq. writes are extremely low..

at almost 100MB/s who cares? Thats enough to max out a Gbit connection, how often do you write that much anyway?

Your seq. writes are extremely low..

Not really. I get about the same on mine. The only people I've seen claiming to do better are either running RAIDed Vertexes or are running in legacy IDE mode (which seems to give "better" performance on these particular drives)

I'm quite happy with my vertex for what I paid.. far faster than any hard drive, nice, consistently fast data transfer with the new firmware.. and improved reliability.

It's no Intel X-25.. but I didn't pay for one, either.

All of my programs open almost instantly, boot time is very short and so is shut down. Having a SSD is ruining my experience with hdd-based machines :p

Here are my numbers -

atto.jpg

cdm.jpg

In a few weeks, I'm going to get another 30GB and put them in RAID 0. Should see some really nice numbers then.

intel_x25M_aligned.jpg

Vertex 1275
Vertex_1275.jpg
To be fair, not all Vertexes run as slow as the 30/60's do. There's a substantial performance increase going to the 120/250GB models. Here's my 120 on FW1275 (still no X25-M however):
vtx01275128dmd.png

Wow, newegg just jacked the price of the 120GB Vertex from ~$339 - 30 rebate to 409 - 30 rebate :eek: .

I ended up biting on a 64GB Samsung SLC drive due to concerns about wearing out within 1.5-2 years on MLC drives and all the random issues with the new MLC drives such as the Vertex. It's a good bit slower on sequentials, faster on randoms, but still darn fast and just plain works :). I got it for $110 shipped from newegg thanks to being able to apply a combo special with my recently-ordered i7 920 CPU ($75 off).

That is damn respectable Brahmzy!

I would also like to go on record that so far, I have not noticed any difference between vertex and intel in actual use/feel. I haven't worked much on it yet, just the install and drivers. Vertex is awesome.

Oh, that's one sexy benchmark score you got there Brahmzy. I nearly wet myself. Can't wait til my jumper gets here!

Why didn't OCZ pack a jumper with the Vertex?

Why OCZ? Why do you hurt me so?

Finally got my jumper in!

Summary of events:

- Flashed to 1275 via BartPE method due to only having one SATA port on my laptop.
- Created Custom Vista 64 installation USB drive via vLite & Diskpart, which allowed me to disable/remove hibernation, indexing, event logging, system restore, and several other services from the installation files.
- Aligned the Vertex to 64K using diskpart during Vista installation.

Everything went ok and now I have a working Vista 64 on my Vertex that is flashed and properly aligned. Verified 64K alignment via Diskpar.

attosnapshoth.jpg

clearmarkmyvertex.jpg

My 4K read seems kinda low compared to those who posted their results here. How did you guys get your 4K read up so high?

Looks good, but how does it feel?

Not sure about your 4k reads, crystalmark seems a little flakey.

Looks good, but how does it feel?

Not sure about your 4k reads, crystalmark seems a little flakey.

Vista64 loads up blistering fast once you get past the welcome screen. All the startup apps load up simultaneously and instantly. Loving it. I'm still in the process of loading up all the drivers and such. Also messing around with MFT. So far very impressed with the results with the performance and "feel" of this drive.

No CON to speak of except for the lengthy installation and tweaking process, which is not really a con. It was actually pretty fun and I learned a ton in the process. Can't complain about that.

What controller does your eVGA mobo have?

The Vertex drive is in my laptop... I believe it's an intel based mobo.

The difference when moving to SSD is so huge, I still can't believe it! I put the 60GB vertex in my wife's PC and got it all up and going and she is floored. I made a .bat file that launches all of the office 2007 apps and IE at once and it is just instant. I am thinking about doing a video because it is so unreal.

Here is the new home for vertex:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1406209

The difference when moving to SSD is so huge, I still can't believe it! I put the 60GB vertex in my wife's PC and got it all up and going and she is floored. I made a .bat file that launches all of the office 2007 apps and IE at once and it is just instant. I am thinking about doing a video because it is so unreal.

Here is the new home for vertex:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1406209

Yeah, I'm honestly floored about how much faster the general OS feel is when using a SSD.

Every other machine I own feels slow by comparison. This will only get worse when I add another couple of vertex drives into my rig for a RAID 0, but I'm still excited about it.

ClearDiskMark Bench with MFT.

ClearMark.jpg

I must say, it is quite an improvement over the initial benchmark. As far as real world usage, can't really "feel" the difference with or without. I also ran ATTO but the numbers were all over the place.

I decided to set up a ramdisk for storing internet temp files and windows temp/tmp folder. So far it's working out great. Firefox loves cache and it shows when web pages load up instantly. Plus it's another way to lessen writes on the SSD.

I ran CDM on the ramdisk just for kicks and giggles.

ClearMark_Ramdisk.jpg

:eek: :D

My next project is to acquire a fast SD memory card or expresscard SSD (or expresscard HDD if available) for storing image of the ramdisk in order to prevent imaging saving to the Vertex.

Isn't it a bit too extreme ? I mean that 1 GB or 2 GB write of ramdisk to vertex per each system closure is not going to impact it's lifetime too much.

Isn't it a bit too extreme ? I mean that 1 GB or 2 GB write of ramdisk to vertex per each system closure is not going to impact it's lifetime too much.

Extreme? Nah... maybe, lol. But I do turn my system on and off quite often so that's quite a bit of writing (in big chunks) to the SSD. Plus, I have an empty expresscard slot so might as well put it to good use.

I've purchased this with 12% off via Live:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4505181&CatId=4218

I think it will serve its purpose well.

WOW you got a FAST ssd that could make your life with ramdrive a whole lot easier and you plan on buying a slow flash card to store the simple image file?!
My advice: don't do it compared to using Vertex, your boot and load times will be night and day when using ramdrive
LOL that one of the reason we need fast OS drive. to handle tasks that previously went on our nerves and thus been avoided.
Yust get another 30GB vertex and use it for image storing it s just above 100$... (I guess not if you use a notebook)

WOW you got a FAST ssd that could make your life with ramdrive a whole lot easier and you plan on buying a slow flash card to store the simple image file?!
My advice: don't do it compared to using Vertex, your boot and load times will be night and day when using ramdrive
LOL that one of the reason we need fast OS drive. to handle tasks that previously went on our nerves and thus been avoided.

It's not a flash card but rather an expresscard SSD that is actually pretty impressive from what the spec sheet states. No where near the performance of the Vertex but much better than your plain ole SD's. Sequential read/write is 115/65 MB/s respectively. Not bad for a expresscard "flash" drive.

It also has mini USB input and can be used as an external drive.

If I'm not impressed with the performance, I will probably return it or just use it as an external data drive.

Yust get another 30GB vertex and use it for image storing it s just above 100$... (I guess not if you use a notebook)

Of course I would do this if my 14 inch laptop had another HDD slot. This is the price I pay for portability. Still a pretty powerful 14 inch lappy though. :D

what laptop? I want to do the whole laptop+vertex thing myself. I bet that machine just flies.

what laptop? I want to do the whole laptop+vertex thing myself. I bet that machine just flies.

I have a 14" ASUS F8Sn-C1. I run it OC'd, both the CPU and GPU, during any situations where it is needed. Just got done playing L4D, No Mercy map. It can run this game fairly smooth at its native res of 1440x900. The temps can get a little out of hand though especially since I run it OC'd but I've performed some internal cooling mods and I think it's helped out a bit.

I've been very happy with the performance of this 14 incher and the Vertex just made it even better.

So far the Vertex hasn't disappointed nor have I ran into any issues so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It looks pretty decent now.
File copy was awful before. Now it battles Intel drive well. Finally.

On that not the article ig great. I can't wait to see what Intel engineers have cooking for us. :D

Whatever they do I hope it means X-25M goes into $200 price range :D

Really Intel doesn't need some uber drives now, they need to make existing ones more mainstream.

I'm hoping for a drive that is well balanced i all segments as X25-M but has double the sustained writes.
That would be killer and would make them king for the next 6months in all real world performance.
Perfect drive would be 80GB for 200-250$ Be it for notebooks or as dual drive Raid0 setups.

I saw that roadmap on Anandtech... and I really hope they wont do 160GB and 32nm as minimum.
I don't really need that much in a notebook, and dual RAID0 setup will be to big and surely as expensive as todays 80GBs ---> to much, and no mainstreem for Intel.

Anyone test some Vertex drives in RAID0 on the cheapo Dell/LSI SAS controller with write caching turned on?

I'm just using onboard Intel SATA controller right now but soon as I get a few more Vertex drives I will either switch to onboard LSI 1068E SAS or perhaps get the cheapo Dell/LSI addin card. Wondering if write caching makes any difference.

DAMN of all the worthless reviews this one has to take the cake.
Real world benches: XP boot up time... jesus
As for All the other results they might as well copied them from various forums and call their own.
13 pages of copy paste, technical specifications and theory... so much talk for nothing
Sorry for being so harsh...

Back