Verizon’s Unlimited Data Plan Is Now Three Bad Unlimited Plans

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It didn’t take long for Verizon to ruin a good thing: the carrier’s unlimited data plan has been split into three separate dishes, all of which taste worse due to new limitations. For instance, the cheapest tier, “Go Unlimited,” ($75/mo) may throttle users merely due to network congestion (instead of data usage), and subscribers will be limited to 480p video streaming on smartphones. Good thing I decided to stick with my grandfathered plan…

In addition to offering DVD-quality video, described by the company as a resolution of 480p on phones and 720p on tablets, Verizon’s lower-priced unlimited plan will cut data speeds during “times of congestion” to protect service quality. The higher-priced plan, with videos at 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets, will only limit speeds during peak traffic after the customer has exceeded 22 gigabytes of data during the month.Verizon is also introducing a $70 unlimited data plan for businesses and an $80 unlimited plan for users who want to pay as they go. All Verizon’s new plan prices require customers to sign up for automatic payments.

The wording is so misleading , unlimited and then have a definition of it being rather limited then unlimited.

Unlimited LTE for 30 bucks a month here. No throttling, no caps... It's great if you live outside the city where you can't get proper speeds on cable (not to mention optical).

Glad I left them for Project Fi.

My bill rarely passes 40 bucks. Instead of the 90 I was paying them.

And that was with the OG UDP and corporate discount of 21%.

Bah, I can't win. AT&T priced my old iPhone unlimited plan above Verizon so I bailed. T-mobile sucks in my area, so that's not an option. Sprint's even worse.
My only option is Verizon or to pay an arm and a leg to AT&T. I really hope T-mobile's new network gets up and running soon.

Limiting the types of data a person can access is one of those things net neutrality is supposed to prevent.

Requiring automatic payments is also really pernicious.

Domingo, you can do straight talk verizon, first 8gb at $45, then throttle down to 2g speeds.

Glad I left them for Project Fi.

My bill rarely passes 40 bucks. Instead of the 90 I was paying them.

And that was with the OG UDP and corporate discount of 21%.

This. I just jumped ship for Fi after more than a decade with Verizon. It felt like every few months I would get less while paying more. I'm not expecting any magic from Fi, but the lack of surprise sure is a nice feeling.

And yet there are people in a position of significant influence arguing that objectively inferior mobile wireless is equal to broadband (so competition is a thing when it isn't), and that we should replace all broadband with mobile wireless.

Verizon is also introducing a $70 unlimited data plan for businesses and an $80 unlimited plan for users who want to pay as they go.
$80 up front for pay as you go?
Stiff entry fee to get your foot in the door.

I wonder, do they have a limited pay as you go?
Odd to define it as unlimited.

Last I checked, streaming services automatically adjust quality based on available bandwidth. Verizon shouldn't have to mess with it.

*weeps as the loss of net neutrality*

Makes me think the previous "new unlimited" plan was just a ploy to get some of those stragglers to dump the original UDP, then fuck them over with these new plans.

Got rid of Verizon quite some time ago...fuck 'em.

The wording is so misleading , unlimited and then have a definition of it being rather limited then unlimited.

You can have unlimited cookies on our subscription plan!

*Oven congestion can cause cookie shortage. Oven takes approximately 23hrs to bake one cookie. Chocolate chip excluded. Additional restraints may be imposed depending our profit margins.

Bah, I can't win. AT&T priced my old iPhone unlimited plan above Verizon so I bailed. T-mobile sucks in my area, so that's not an option. Sprint's even worse.
My only option is Verizon or to pay an arm and a leg to AT&T. I really hope T-mobile's new network gets up and running soon.

Check Walmart prepaid Verizon cards, they add 2 GB on top of whatever Verizon gives.

This. I just jumped ship for Fi after more than a decade with Verizon. It felt like every few months I would get less while paying more. I'm not expecting any magic from Fi, but the lack of surprise sure is a nice feeling.

Same here!

You can have unlimited cookies on our subscription plan!

*Oven congestion can cause cookie shortage. Oven takes approximately 23hrs to bake one cookie. Chocolate chip excluded. Additional restraints may be imposed depending our profit margins.

CuL5z4JUMAEFS17.jpg

Das cookies was how many doll hairs? I do not have that not many doll hairs. How do you expect das cookie monster for to pay all of these cookies.

Boy, I'm glad I just use my cell phone as a phone. I'm on a pay-as-you-go plan (PagePlus Cellular) and only pay around $70 a 'year' for my service. I can forgo cellular data on the phone since I have FIOS at home and at work. If something comes up where I really need to connect while away, I can use cellular data but I haven't had the need yet.

CuL5z4JUMAEFS17.jpg

Das cookies was how many doll hairs? I do not have that not many doll hairs. How do you expect das cookie monster for to pay all of these cookies.

Can I interest you in one of our fine payment plans? Surely, a cookie connoisseur like yourself would not want to miss out on this exclusive offer that we will not not change within the next 90 days, give or take 2,160hrs.

Once I need a new phone, I am seriously thinking about going to T-Mobile.

Verizon just keeps getting worse and worse.

I was actually thinking of going to the older unlimited plan with them.

Screw it all !

Domingo, you can do straight talk verizon, first 8gb at $45, then throttle down to 2g speeds.

Tried that last year after 15 years with Verizon. Boy was that a huge mistake.

Straight talk's service wasn't as good, with constant dropped calls at my house (even though it supposedly used Verizon's network). But worse that that was the fact that data is inop while talking on the phone!

Went back to Verizon in February after they came back with all you can eat (22 mb unthrottled) and tethering for 80 bucks plus a 15% gov discount. So thankful it came back. Like night and day.

The quote from Verizon that make me the angriest is this one from the Verge article:

“We're doing this to ensure all customers have a great experience on our network since there is no visible difference in quality on a smartphone or tablet when video is shown at higher resolutions (than 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets).” Verizon doesn’t point to any specific data that backs up its “nobody can see a difference” observation between 720p and 1080p on a 5.5-inch screen.

I can't believe they pulled the "human eye can't see above x resolution (or fps)" excuse... Sounds like what happens when people defending weak game consoles using 720p for example. Suddenly, after the release of the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X, 4K (checkerboard 4k) is suddenly an amazing feature. And according to Verizon's logic, Apple and Samsung are idiots apparently for putting 1080p and above screens in phones when "nobody can see a difference."

Edit: My S8+ has a slider that lets you switch between 720, 1080, and 1440p for saving battery. 720p to 1080 is like night and day for everything. I can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on videos but it does give noticeably crisper text. The only resolution I would feel to be overkill on mobile devices is 4K.

Last edited:
If I wasn't still grandfathered into the old true unlimited I would be so out of there.

I would check your video soon when this kicks in-- Apparently all plans including the legacy (grandfathered) plans will get this new "feature."

From the same Verge article:
This is what’s likely going to enrage Verizon customers most. No matter what plan you’re on — whether it’s the old, grandfathered unlimited data plan or a tiered plan or the new unlimited plan — Verizon is taking a tighter grip over video streaming. “Moving forward, HD video on all legacy plans will also match Beyond Unlimited’s HD quality.”

Can I interest you in one of our fine payment plans? Surely, a cookie connoisseur like yourself would not want to miss out on this exclusive offer that we will not not change within the next 90 days, give or take 2,160hrs.

CuL5z4JUMAEFS17.jpg

A is for Apphole. B is for Butt Rape. C is for Con Artist.

Yet again, I'd also like to be able to vary the terms of the agreements to which I am a signatory. I'm offering the cable company a new income forecasting feature where my payments are paused and will resume right around when the sun will have boiled all water off the surface of the planet. Failure to respond with the proper opt out code within five hours of receipt will constitute acceptance of the new terms.

Still have GUDP and I will keep paying the shit price because vzw still has best network for my area. But 200GB/mo I will fucking use. Good job Verizon

Back