Verizon’s New Prepaid Plan: 500MB of Data for $30/Month

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In an effort to “add more value” to prepaid offerings, Verizon has introduced a new plan that charges $30 a month for unlimited US talk and text. Subscribers, however, are limited to 500MB of data.

If you are looking for a smartphone plan at a great price, we have a new option for you. For $30 per month, you get unlimited U.S. talk, text and 500 MB of data. This plan joins our lineup of monthly prepaid plans packed with data for smartphones: 3 GB for $40, 7 GB for $50 or 10 GB for $60.

hahahah are you serious hahahahhaha

I have £20 and I get unlimited text, unlimited phone, 4Gig of data... plus I have international roaming so once I do use it abroad it is £3 in EU (£5 global) and my normal contract limits are active

hahahahaha sorry... I had to come back "great price" hahahahhaha

Right just checking vodaphone..
£42/mo = unlimited txt & phone, global roaming + 60Gig data
£48/mo = unlimited txt & phone, global roaming + 40Gig data
£36/mo = unlimited txt & phone, global roaming + 32Gig data
£29mo = unlimited txt & phone, global roaming + 16Gig data
£23/mo = unlimited txt & phone, global roaming + 1Gig data
£19mo = unlimited txt & phone, global roaming + 500Meg data

Don't laugh, I have had exactly the same plan in Canada (it actually costs me $58CDN which is about $45USD) and I haven't discontinued it because it gives me a grandfathered credit to my cable/internet bill.

As bad as US wireless "competition" might be, Canada is much worse.

StraightTalk has a "$35" ($37 with taxes) plan that has all that with 2GBs of Data (and 2G after you hit your limit). It works great for me.

Verizon has simply gotten to big for their own good.

I switched from Verizon to Cricket. $45 (auto pay) gets me unlimited talk/text and 8GB of data. 2/3 of the price for 1/16 of the data? Verizon is definitely out of touch with reality.

I pay $44/mo with Straight Talk and get 8GB/mo... wait, I logged in to look, they've bumped it to 10GB. When I first bought the plan several years ago, I think it was 3GB data, then they bumped it to 5GB, then to 8 and now it's apparently 10GB. My phone is on the AT&T network, my wife's is on the Verizon network, both phones have 10GB, not shared, we pay ~$90/mo total and the price is consistent.

T-Mobile is supposed to be expanding here, be nice to have something other than Verizon and AT&T. What a deal this is :(...remember the good old days when you could get an unlimited data plan for $30/mo sure no talk/text who needed those with unlimited data ;), I still pay that on my grandfathered chip but now it's capped of course. What a difference 8 years makes...and keep off my lawn!

I'm using MintSim from a tip off this forum. Got a promo for 6 months for $65. Also bought a 12 month pack for $300 to extend it. And that's using their most expensive plan of 10GB of LTE(unlimited at lower speeds once you hit your cap) with unlimited talk/text. Their 2GB plan is only $15/mo. No taxes. Service has been flawless for me, good data speeds even in large cities, unlike Cricket and their capped speeds. Uses T-Mo towers I believe.

Zero regrets leaving Verizon and my grandfathered unlimited behind.

https://www.mintsim.com/plans/

What a fucking joke. You can go use Verizon through their Total Wireless MVNO for $35 a month and get 5GB of data.

Chalk up another reason for municipal broadband and cell service.

I pay Verizon 10 bucks more a month for unlimited talk, text, a 3GB data.

So saving a whole $10 and only getting 500MB seems ridiculous. I don't use a hell of a lot of Data, but I would chew up 500MB quickly.

Anything left of my 3GB rolls over to the next month, and I use wifi as often as possible.

Nah, 500MB is a joke.

I'm pretty happy with Verizon. I mainly went with them because I was able to get a Moto E4 for 40 bucks. The subsidized price kept me from having to pay $130 for the phone. Great deal for my needs. And after the year is over I can move to a different carrier if I want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
T-Mobile

Age 55 and over $60/mo plan for TWO lines. Both with 100% unlimited 4GLTE (but they get sniffy if you exceed 50GB).

$9.95 extra on Line #1 for 100% unlimited, no-bullshit, HD video, from everywhere and 100% music from just about everywhere, and 10GB 4G Tethering (3G after the 10G is used up)

I got the second line so I could have a phone in the truck100% of the time and never have to worry about it.

Then I found out that not one single one of the half-dozen power ports in the truck are live when the truck is shut off. God DAMN you Ford. So I get to start up to a dead cell phone. I don't suspect that battery will last long.

Pretty sure my AT&T go prepaid plan is 40 for 4GB. I actually have much better service now with ATT than I ever did with verizon.

5 lines on auto-pay for us comes out to $150. We do AT&T Prepaid with multi-family line discount. $40 for first line and then:

Capture (1).JPG

Unlimited talk, text and 6gb per line (then throttled or option to purchase more high speed data). Includes US, Canada and Mexico. Hotspot.

edit: Just got the following text from AT&T Prepaid too:

AT&T Free Msg: Now your plan includes sponsored data. This means, for example, that customers who have DIRECTV or U-verse(R) TV can now stream movies and shows with the TV app without it counting against their plan data. Available only in the U.S. (excludes Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.)

See att.com/prepaidsponsoreddata .

F Verizon and their deals!

Last edited:

I have £20 and I get unlimited text, unlimited phone, 4Gig of data... plus I have international roaming so once I do use it abroad it is £3 in EU (£5 global) and my normal contract limits are active

With the current exchange rate, £19 is around $26-27. The Verizon plan is only a bit over $3 more a month than the Vodaphone £19 offering. The plan does still suck though.

Don't laugh, I have had exactly the same plan in Canada (it actually costs me $58CDN which is about $45USD) and I haven't discontinued it because it gives me a grandfathered credit to my cable/internet bill.

As bad as US wireless "competition" might be, Canada is much worse.

You are really pooched. I pay that for unlimited/unlimited and 6 GB of data/mo with Telus. And they give me free iPhones.

upload_2018-2-18_21-4-7.png
I called up my provider to cancel 2 lines on my account recently and they swore up and down they could save me money lol. Nope you can't that "unlimited" deal with DirecTV doesn't even have tethering and is only up to 22GB full speed. I got this about 3 years ago when they had double data promo. Not giving it up until something actually better comes along.

View attachment 54644
I called up my provider to cancel 2 lines on my account recently and they swore up and down they could save me money lol. Nope you can't that "unlimited" deal with DirecTV doesn't even have tethering and is only up to 22GB full speed. I got this about 3 years ago when they had double data promo. Not giving it up until something actually better comes along.
That deal has 10gb tethered.

That deal has 10gb tethered.

You are right, I stand corrected, it does have 10GB of hotspot at full speed...128K max after that is about useless. This doesn't say "AT&T may slow speeds" like the overall phone data plan, it says it will be after the 10GB.
upload_2018-2-18_22-8-14.png

I have not found another plan with 40+GB of data at full speed with tethering up to plan limit and Roll Over Data in that price range (which I still find to high but I am not dropping it)

Unless you MUST have Verizon because of coverage issues you can do better with other carriers, or even a vzw mnvo.

T-Mobile.
Still on their older family plan - $90 for 3 lines, with Unlimited talk & text, and 2GB per month on each line, slowed down after the 2GB. Also includes limited international text and low speed data roaming.
We are usually on WiFi, so 2GB is plenty.

Didn't Pai say cellular internet is the way forward? Bloody hell its all going to shit.

I can only imagine this plan is meant to get people to notice their other plans since $40/3GB seems to be standard for non-MVNO providers. I pay $40 for 3GB with rollover from ATT and basically always have 10GB per month (which they cap it at)

You are right, I stand corrected, it does have 10GB of hotspot at full speed...128K max after that is about useless. This doesn't say "AT&T may slow speeds" like the overall phone data plan, it says it will be after the 10GB.
View attachment 54655

I have not found another plan with 40+GB of data at full speed with tethering up to plan limit and Roll Over Data in that price range (which I still find to high but I am not dropping it)
I wouldn’t either if that’s important to you. Since phones were allowed to easily tether to devices the big phone companies have clamped down. I used to have unlimited but they started to throttle me at 5gb, since then I’ve upgraded to the plus. Still not exactly what I want but it’s good enough for now.

Personally I like the $15+$10/GB plan with unlimited international talk and text. Phone bill last month was $15.28 because the weather was so bad and all the unused data was credited back. Coverage is oddly better because the house is in a bit of a deadzone so everything routs over the wifi.

I have unlimited text, unlimited domestic calls, global roaming + unlimited data for 30 eur / month. We spend 2-3 gigs of data every day on LTE if not more (a linux distro download can be 3-4 gigs alone).

My half working phone uses 1-2 GB in a day for updates, videos, large photos. Beter one rich dick than 100 people whit open mouth right. Mobile phones durability is bad.

Don't look at this wrong, this is brilliant move for VZ......they give you a "cheap plan" and make you pay half of that cost in overage fees alone. 500mb can be used within a matter of 2 hrs......its no bargain by any means, it a ploy to make more money off less intellegent people.

Back