Verizon’s Latest Unlimited Plan Targets Data-Heavy Users

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Verizon introduced a new unlimited plan this week, “Above Unlimited,” which starts at $95 for one line and provides users with 75GB of LTE data. Once this data cap is reached, mobile data may be throttled back during “times of congestion” on the network. Critics say that Verizon still doesn’t understand what “unlimited” means.

So what do you get from this pricier plan? Faster speeds in a crowded concert or large sporting event when there are a lot of people on Verizon's network. In the event of a congested network, those who are on the cheaper Go plan would see their data slowed first, followed by those on the Beyond plan who have used more than 22 GB of data in that month.

Looks like AT&T will also be giving free limited cable TV service to its wireless customers now that they've merged with Time Warner:

AT&T will be launching a "very, very skinny bundle" of television programming free to its mobile customers, Chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson told CNBC on Friday, a day after the company closed its $85.4 billion purchase of Time Warner.

"We will be launching, and you're going to hear more about this next week, a product called 'AT&T Watch TV,'" Stephenson said on CNBC's "Squawk Box." "It will be the Turner content. It will not have sports. It'll be entertainment-centered."

AT&T's unlimited wireless customers will get the service for free, Stephenson said, "or you can buy it for $15 a month on any platform."

I'm so fucking happy I'm not so addicted to the internet that I need to watch so much of it away from home, it makes making sensible (read: not insanely priced) choices for a provider so much easier.

Verizon's unlimited is BS. Switched from 8GB plan to beyond unlimited. Transfer rates whens south, constant disconnect just streaming Pandora, slacker, and other streaming music sites. With 8GB, speed test was 20 Mbs, with Beyond unlimited speed test was 4 to 7 Mbs, same location, same tower, etc. Same everyday for 1 month of use. Switched back to 8GB plan, everything back to normal, good speed, no drops, etc. Used a total of 13 GB on the unlimited plan, only because I took my phone off of Offline mode for my streaming apps that would download over wifi.

They say they don't throttle until you hit 22 GB per month. BS. It is a pure scam. The worse part is, they use to have 12GB plans and 20 GB plans. those are no longer available. So you either take the 8GB plan, and keep your good experience, or jump to one of the unlimited plans and have a lousy experience.

If you are able you can ditch them as some have already said. I may have to look into that once my Note8 is paid off.

Verizon's unlimited is BS. Switched from 8GB plan to beyond unlimited. Transfer rates whens south, constant disconnect just streaming Pandora, slacker, and other streaming music sites. With 8GB, speed test was 20 Mbs, with Beyond unlimited speed test was 4 to 7 Mbs, same location, same tower, etc. Same everyday for 1 month of use. Switched back to 8GB plan, everything back to normal, good speed, no drops, etc. Used a total of 13 GB on the unlimited plan, only because I took my phone off of Offline mode for my streaming apps that would download over wifi.

They say they don't throttle until you hit 22 GB per month. BS. It is a pure scam. The worse part is, they use to have 12GB plans and 20 GB plans. those are no longer available. So you either take the 8GB plan, and keep your good experience, or jump to one of the unlimited plans and have a lousy experience.

If you are able you can ditch them as some have already said. I may have to look into that once my Note8 is paid off.

That's weird. I went from the 8GB plan to the Unlimited plan and my speeds haven't changed at all. Just did a speed test and got 74 Mbps download speed.

Verizon also has by far and away the best coverage in my area over friends and family that have AT&T and Sprint and that usually seems to be true when I go out to Texas to visit family who all have AT&T.

I've been with Verizon since 2005 and have no complaints.

Hey Marketers! Ever heard of a dictionary?! (or you millennial aged marketers, dictionary.com)?

so unlimited isn't unlimited so they made above unlimited which still isn't unlimited....

10/10, can't wait for above and beyond unlimited where i can use 100GB of data :rolleyes:

We have always joked about it, but it is beginning to seem they may not understand the meaning of the word "unlimited".

I have a 20gb Shared Family plan with 2 lines. When I signed up there was also a 4gb for life bonus data and we get rollover. Most of the time we don't use anywhere near 20gb so we're constantly adding to the rollover pool. I never see throttling or disconnects on this plan. It's nice being able to hot spot to my Nintendo Switch or to a laptop and game with all the extra data we get. They try to talk me into switching all the time but i refuse. I knew those unlimited plans were going to suck.

Now if only they would stop trying to get me to join Verizon UP.

Its Verizon, that filthy company will get you somewhere somehow.

To paraphrase Star Wars- Verizon is a wretched hive of Virtually Unlimited sources of scum and villainy. Their boardroom must make Mos Eisley Spaceport look like a daycare!

I see their game now. In the future, all plans will be called unlimited, just with different adjectives. Basic Unlimited, Extra Unlimited, Infinite Unlimited, etc.
It's all what they're defining as unlimited, which if you look in the really tiny microprint is "number of times people actually think they can use however much they want"

"Unlimited" types of packets. Email, gaming, downloads, social media, blogs, news, financial, etc.

I moved the wifey and myself over to TW $60 family plan which is $57 a month for 2 lines with $15 GB of LTE with the 5% auto pay discount. We still have to use Verizon since there is very little coverage on large parts of the Oregon Coast but T Mobile just opened a corporate store here and is screaming about how great their coverage is.

I will never give Verizon my money directly again. I'd go without service first.

It is considered "puffery." Personally I think puffery should just be considered lying and made illegal.
The key phrase in puffery is "a claim no reasonable person would believe". This is where I feel that have crossed the line. No reasonable person believes the word unlimited has limits. They are just blatantly lying.

The amount of data you can use is unlimited. However after a certain point, they slow your download speeds. Technically there is not limit to how much data you can use, just a limit in how much you can use at full speed.

Not saying its right, just that it's "technically" right which is how they get away with it.

Verizon isn't alone in this, AT&T has a similar plan. My sister in law was just bitching about it last night.

Reminds me when I was younger and my old man ordered unlimited wings from this restaurant. After his second plate they claimed they were out of un-thawed wings so it was going to take a while.

They brought him his third plate with two wings on it, and the people a table next to us got a full plate of wings. We sat there for probably another couple hours as he was determined to eat all the wings he could, not because he was that hungry, just in spite.

Why is this lying? They said unlimited data, you get unlimited data. They just never said at which speed.

Why is this lying? They said unlimited data, you get unlimited data. They just never said at which speed.
Unlimited happy hour, at one beer per hour.
Yes yes, 'technically' not lying, just shitty, but is from a shitty sneaky company, i guess its expected.

I can never understand why they don't use a term like "HighCap" or something. Unlimited. What shit

I have a no limit data plan with my provider. Its a 60gb cap....hmmm

I still have the original grandfathered unlimited data with Verizon. I'm not a super heavy user, and my old plan doesn't have unlimited minutes or texts like any plan would have nowadays, but if I end up using 75GB/mo, I don't have to worry about extra charges or throttling.

And yet I manage to stay under 3 GBs of usage every month and I browse a lot of web sites, check email, etc. Do you want to know my secret? I don't stream any video when mobile, I cache any and all content that I want to watch on my device before I go somewhere or I use public WiFi to stream video.

Verizon always seemed too expensive for me. I just use Boost 50$ unlimited. I have used 49GB in a month with no throttling, trying to use more this month to see if I hit a limit.

I also buy my phones up front in cash, so boost isn't for everyone if you need to make payments on your phone.

Back