Verizon's Hum Tracks Your Car's Speed, Location, Driving History

HardOCP News

[H] News
While I can see this being used by parents wanting to keep tabs on teen drivers (or cheating spouses), but I worry about the data being misused. Can the data be subpoenaed by the police or court system to be used against you? What about accidents, crimes, and divorces? Think about it. :eek:

Hum, the aftermarket connected car add-on from Verizon, is about to get a little less friendly to the younger drivers in the household. An update rolling out later this month will enable geofencing and speed alert features, which are exactly what they sound like: a car's owner will be able to get notified on their phone when the vehicle leaves a pre-determined area or drives faster than a set speed.

While I can see this being used by parents wanting to keep tabs on teen drivers (or cheating spouses), but I worry about the data being misused. Can the data be subpoenaed by the police or court system to be used against you? What about accidents, crimes, and divorces? Think about it. :eek:

Hum, the aftermarket connected car add-on from Verizon, is about to get a little less friendly to the younger drivers in the household. An update rolling out later this month will enable geofencing and speed alert features, which are exactly what they sound like: a car's owner will be able to get notified on their phone when the vehicle leaves a pre-determined area or drives faster than a set speed.

And this is why I'll never have anything. Do I like to check in on my kids? Hell yes. Do I like the thought of being able to track them, yeah. But the thought of ways it could be used wrongly far outway that. So nope, never will have that sort of thing at all.

Next article: How your insurance companies get notified of your driving habits and police using this to automate speeding tickets.

Google's android already does this...How do you think they know what your commute time is on every road?

They pole data from phones as to their location direction and drive speed. It's the only way to monitor every road as not every road has sensors maintained by the government.

Oh and they store your history if you look at it. It knows where you been.

Google's android already does this...How do you think they know what your commute time is on every road?

They pole data from phones as to their location direction and drive speed. It's the only way to monitor every road as not every road has sensors maintained by the government.

Oh and they store your history if you look at it. It knows where you been.

Not if you turn it off their location tracking. Well that's to say that telling it to turn off actually turns it off. I'm not sure if this option is even available on iphones.

a quick true story: i got two speeding tickets in short succession. about 6 months apart we'll say. my car insurance should go up. it didn't. why? they never checked - in over 4 years! that's not my problem, that's my insurance company. if they had asked, i'd be completely honest. they never did, so i'm not about to go tell them. tickets expire on my record and they ended up giving me a discount for "being a good driver" even before they expired. in reality, i learned my lesson and started driving slower.

in this story, they got what they wanted without penalizing me. i slowed down and drive a bit safer now. i don't do stupid things on the road or get in accents - never did, but that's a different story.

so what would be the benefit of having any tracking with my driving at all? the insurance company would have gained in my premiums...but that's about it.

in tracking in general with regards to driving...who wins here? not me. yeah no thanks.

Suppose this information gets uploaded to taxing authorities. They would then toll your driving per mile / per location / per time of day / per vehicle weight / per vehicle emissions.

If you try to complain, then "computers don't lie".

I love data. I'd love to have this to monitor myself. Where I go, speeds, etc.. Where am I being wasteful? What can I change? Or just to look at the data and create cool charts or shit. I just don't like others having access to it.

100% sure that it will be used for some other reason - advertising, insurance, etc.. In today's information age, companies don't just give you information like that just for personal consumption.

If it was limited to personal, and I could control the data (local, not transmitted), sure. I'd love something like that.

People have been lining up to buy into this for a couple years already. Many will do it voluntarily just to save on their car insurance.

Progressive Auto Insurance - An Introduction

The craziest scariest thing I saw recently was a year or so ago, a video was explaining how even your cereal box would have little games on it that try to condition and socially engineer, modify your behavior by giving you little rewards for good behavior and little penalties for "bad" behavior. All of it is tuned to making us all better people. Our driving habits, our eating habits, what we throw away what we buy, how we spend our time every day. Everything receiving little tweaks so that we all become good little citizens doing our party for everyone's betterment. This is the direction, it's some people's dream, a better world made from better people.

But don't worry, it'll happen in little baby steps, it won't hurt a bit, you'll never know it's happening.

Man lots of doom and gloom about something like this. The other side of it is that it can potentially be used as a tool to give you proof of what you were doing.
"Do you know how fast you were going" "The speed limit?" "No sir you were doing 20 over, but I'll give you a ticket for 10 over, good luck proving you weren't speeding in court"

Man lots of doom and gloom about something like this. The other side of it is that it can potentially be used as a tool to give you proof of what you were doing.
"Do you know how fast you were going" "The speed limit?" "No sir you were doing 20 over, but I'll give you a ticket for 10 over, good luck proving you weren't speeding in court"

You don't have to prove you weren't speeding in court. The cop that gave you the ticket has to prove that you were. Assuming that you believe in your innocence and see a reason to take it to court, the burden of proof is still on the cop that gave the ticket. Hell sometimes they don't even show for the court appearance.

You know as long as you conduct yourself properly and avoid a contempt charge, you can't loose anything by challenging the ticket. The Judge isn't going to raise the fine because you challenged the ticket. That means there is only one alternative outcome from just paying it, and that is you'll get off.

It's up to you whether it's worth your time to fight the ticket.

And this is also why I had Onstar shut off in my car.

Because that little device never saved anyone's life or help the cops find a stolen car.

Google

But take this little article. This guy takes you on a wild ride with the FBI falsely claiming your car was involved in a terrorist act in order to get OnStar to pull all data on your car without a warrant. Because why? Why does this author pull a complete fable out of his ass with no reality behind it at all? He should write for the new Hawaii-5-O TV series or something like that. i hope you are not basing your concern over OnStar on this tripe.

Now it's true, data from OnStar could be used in an investigation to prove your guild if you were charged with a crime. Or your innocence. In fact, it's just like bank records and anything else of note. It's just that this data is available for your car's whereabouts, even if you aren't in the car. Everyone has to make up their own mind if the added security and information is worth it. The old double edged sword.

People have been lining up to buy into this for a couple years already. Many will do it voluntarily just to save on their car insurance.

Voluntarily. Not just "voluntarily but...". When you sign up for Progressive thing, you know what it's for and what the data is used for. With this, you know how it helps you. Not any third parties (like most online stuff).

You don't have to prove you weren't speeding in court. The cop that gave you the ticket has to prove that you were. Assuming that you believe in your innocence and see a reason to take it to court, the burden of proof is still on the cop that gave the ticket. Hell sometimes they don't even show for the court appearance.
Really? how does a cop prove you were speeding? "I used this here radar gun, and here's the service records to show that it is calibrated" "Well that's all the proof I need, I find the defendant guilty"

You know as long as you conduct yourself properly and avoid a contempt charge, you can't loose anything by challenging the ticket. The Judge isn't going to raise the fine because you challenged the ticket. That means there is only one alternative outcome from just paying it, and that is you'll get off.

It's up to you whether it's worth your time to fight the ticket.
True, it's your right to be able to defend yourself, however if there are any court costs in the matter, plus the time off work, it really has become a nice little system for local governments maximize revenue by not making tickets too high so that most people will in fact say it's not worth their time.

True, it's your right to be able to defend yourself, however if there are any court costs in the matter, plus the time off work, it really has become a nice little system for local governments maximize revenue by not making tickets too high so that most people will in fact say it's not worth their time.

What the government doesn't realize is that while you have to take time off work to defend it, they are losing out on tax money from your income. Especially if it has to be extended more than once.

What a search engine that makes searches based on the results from Verizon Hum might look like:

W4kZpWy.jpg

This is no different than any other GPS program like that. How else do you think they know when the roads are congested? They are monitoring uses and when they notice that people have slowed down it knows that traffic is backed up in that area.

WAYZ or whatever that program is can be used to track people. I know a few people that log on and monitor family members traveling.

Really? how does a cop prove you were speeding? "I used this here radar gun, and here's the service records to show that it is calibrated" "Well that's all the proof I need, I find the defendant guilty"

Are you maybe thinking that I can't take about two minutes to find statements online from people who have beaten speeding tickets?

Before I do the search you should either check yourself, or reconsider your position regarding my statement.

I give 5 minutes to the brave crew of the Enterprise

ricardo-montalban-khan-star-trek-2.jpg

Voluntarily. Not just "voluntarily but...". When you sign up for Progressive thing, you know what it's for and what the data is used for. With this, you know how it helps you. Not any third parties (like most online stuff).

You are right, but the point is, they'll do it if they think they'll get something out of it. It's how all scams work, take more than you offer to give.

Back