verizondsl getting worse and worse speeds

bluefire7

Weaksauce
i've had verizondsl for about half a year or so now, and from last month to present, the connection has been horrible.. sometimes it would just hang for up to a minute at a time, with the modem activity light blinking slowly (loss of connectivity).. before it started, speeds were decent, and although slow compared to the optimum cable i was used to, it was sufficient. now it's just pure garbage. if it weren't for the fact that we're getting free cable, i would immediately switch to roadrunner :mad:

i figure asking you guys is probly much more helpful than those scripted outsourced fools at tech support. i tried all that "reset your modem" "unplug the ethernet cord" "make sure you're computer is on" crap already and would like some REAL answers..

PS- at my old house, we used to have verizon as well, and after a while it just stopped all of a sudden and when we called to see what happened, they said since there was construction in the area, they must have switched our phone line over to one with a further CO, and we were now too far to service. verizon is teh gay.

Well try plugging the modem into the demark jack if you have one (by where the phone line comes into your house). See if this still happensl. If it doesn't maybe something happened to your internal phone lines. (this probalby won't be the issue I'm betting).

Beyond doing that phone your ISP and get them to file a support ticket or whatever they call it there. When I was having trouble with my DSL connection a couple years ago I phoned up, they sent a guy from the telephone company to test the line and they replaced a device at the CO and the connection has been perfect ever since.

The [H]orde needs You!

Hi, I am actually one of those outsourced fool that you are refering to, but can you describe the problem more, are you just losing connectivity or are you having slow connection? maybe I can help you. :D

hahaha, sorry if i offended anyone. i guess i was just frustrated (still am, actually).. :rolleyes:

i lose my connection all together. it almost always happens when i start an internet browser after leaving it idle for a long period of time. it happens at both of the computers on this connection, and we've changed no settings or configurations to offset anything to my knowledge. at times it is sorta slow, but not slow enough to denote a problem, i don't think..

same deal here actually. have had Verizon for about 5 months now and I'm noticing connectivity and heavy slow down issues....

go to infospeed.verizon.net, and run the test tell me your speed also do you have any problem with noise on the phone line? are all device filtered? and do you have a satelite or security system?... and don't worry you didn't offend anyone I work for verizon so I know how bad their service can be sometime.

my speed from infospeed--> 1514.6KBits (189.3KBytes)

it's fine right now.. but like i said at times it will just hang for almost minutes at a time. :(

phone line sounds ok, and all jacks filtered.

YOU GOT SOME NICE SPEEDS. I have verison too and mine are usually half that.
(For a while they were a quarter of that speed because i forgot to filter one line.....if you have TiVO, remember it uses the phone line....)

I was about to beat the kid i was talking to when i was working to figure out the problem with the 40KB/s dl speed. He tried to tell me that the noise on a 50FT phone chord could be detrimental to the speed of my connection....makes a lot of sense since my neighbors werent getting anywhere close to advertised speeds either.

I just wonder if the people are banging their head on the desk when they tell me this crap. Im pretty sure i know whats going on, but no one had the juevos to tell me..."Hey your on the edge of the DSL coverage area, you got screwed for living in a high rent suburb, sorry dude there is nothing i can do. If i heard that i would understand and deal with it.

Yay, I like that speed test, almost right on the mark

2116.4Kbits 264.6KBytes

I have a 2.5 MBit line here on Telus in Canada and the port in the wire center shows those speeds as well so this test is quite accurate.

In Japan I'm gettin about 2mb per second. I can download the average mp3 in about 3 seconds. Waaay faster than in Hawaii.

Sorry...did'nt mean to sound like a "Hey! look at me!" type but I remember waiting for 1hr for a 3mb song back in the free Napster days.

while listening to all your speeds (and for the most part getting a lil jealous :p )

err.. can someone help me out with my on/off connection?

Alright, I used to be a tier 2 tech for a very large DSL ISP a few years ago and this sounds very familiar. From what you described it sounds like you are either getting a lot of noise on your line (not the audible type) or there is a packet loss issue. If you can contact the ISP and get a supervisor they should be able to run a line test. Ask them to check your noise margin as well as to check for data loss between the DSLAM and your modem. Before doing this though, you should rule out your end. Not to be mean or anything, but over 99% of my calls where people where blaming the ISP turned out to have an improper setup for DSL. Make sure any phone device plugged into a jack has a filter, makes sure that the modem is not using a splitter, if it has to, try and make it not a cordless phone. They can cause a lot of interference on the line. Next like the first response said, if you can move your modem/computer to the Demark and test there, great, that would rule out any internal wiring issues. If not, disconnect any and all phones so it's just your modem hooked up. See if this resolves the issue. Failing that, call the ISP and get a supervisor, if they don't want to co-operate threaten to cancel that usually get's them moving a little. I hope this helped

ive been having similar problems with adelphia lately. intermittment service. it will be fine for a day or two, then go down for 2-24 hours. I call, they say "we can someone come out in a week" and of course when they come out, its not down. repeat 3 times.

argh

I'm signed up for 3.0/768 service, but it seems like 1.5/768. My modem says 3/768 and I'm getting about 90 kb/s upload but my max downloads are around 160 kb/s. They should be double thatn that for 3.0 :(

verizon customer here in VA.

it has been slowing down recently and its getting annoying.

its cheap though, so im staying for a while.

Back